Post-Game Talk: Canucks def. Ducks - 8-5 (Kuzmenko x3, Horvat x2, Pettersson, Miller, Joshua)

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
WHEN: November 3rd, 7:00PM PST
WHERE: Rogers Arena, Vancouver, BC
TV: Sportsnet Pacific
RADIO: Sportsnet 650

Canucks Line-Up:

Garland-Horvat-Miller
Mikheyev-Pettersson-Kuzmenko
Pearson-Dries-Podkolzin
Joshua-Aman-Studnicka

Hughes-Schenn
Stillman-Myers
OEL-Bear

Martin

Ducks Line-Up:

Henrique-Zegras-Vatrano
Comtois-Strome-Terry
Grant-Lundestrom-Silfverberg
Jones-McTavish-Leason

Kulikov-Klingberg
Benoit-Fowler
Beaulieu-Shattenkirk

Gibson

Last edited:

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I doubt any changes will come but a loss tomorrow should absolutely trigger drastic changes. The next two games are must wins against weak teams that aren't trying to win. Losing even one of those pushes them so far out of playoff contention from a "needed pace" perspective.

Last edited:

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
I doubt any changes will come but a loss tomorrow should absolutely trigger drastic changes.

How do you mean this? Like, management should be doing this, as it's something you want to see or that this is something you could see management doing?

I'm not sure immediate moves need to be done, but if losses (particularly if they're ones where the team is significantly outperformed) should absolutely trigger an overall evaluation of everything with the team.

Reactions: mathonwy

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
How do you mean this? Like, management should be doing this, as it's something you want to see or that this is something you could see management doing?

I'm not sure immediate moves need to be done, but if losses (particularly if they're ones where the team is significantly outperformed) should absolutely trigger an overall evaluation of everything with the team.

If they lose tomorrow, that should be the inflection point and management finally takes the steps to changing the roster. I don't necessarily mean make a coaching change, waivers, or force a trade but the plan of trying to compete this season needs to be thrown out.

So, yes, your second sentence.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
The owner has spoken

I don't think the reason they won't actually be dismantled doesn't have a lot to do with the owner. Well...this particular reason. Very few UFAs on the roster, the guys with commitments for next year should be easier to move in the offseason, and everyone is struggling so much it's unlikely anyone would want them right now.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
What does dismantle even mean?

Are they going to move 7 players? Of course not. Could they start to dismantle? Absolutely and I’d be shocked if they didn’t. That’s what the deadline is all about.
As you said the deadline is the key

If this team does anything while it's floundering now till the new year trying to initiate deals were gonna get spit roasted and laughed about for years. We've already wasted 3 good assets since new management came aboard

Most critical thing they can do is slowly and methodically chip pieces off at the deadline and maybe at the draft if teams come calling.

They need to stop this age gap crap grab of players teams dont want and get draft picks they can cash in to the pipeline or for age appropriate specific targets

Everytime i see impatient posts about getting rid of blank or trade blank now or he has to go i see asset value on fire. It really sucks to have a season blasted into the toilet before it really gets started but that's what's happened.

Stop patching holes in the dam with chewing gum. Let these guys play their way out of this. They might be bad but they have to have enough pride and ownership to build themselves back to what they were able to to get paid and/or to get out of hell.

Also the best thing they can do is stop this wasn't my coach nonsense and either let Bruce off the hook now or give him autonomy to bench anyone not giving 100%. They picked up enough depth to do it at least use it in a meaningful way now

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
As you said the deadline is the key

If this team does anything while it's floundering now till the new year trying to initiate deals were gonna get spit roasted and laughed about for years. We've already wasted 3 good assets since new management came aboard

Most critical thing they can do is slowly and methodically chip pieces off at the deadline and maybe at the draft if teams come calling.

They need to stop this age gap crap grab of players teams dont want and get draft picks they can cash in to the pipeline or for age appropriate specific targets

Everytime i see impatient posts about getting rid of blank or trade blank now or he has to go i see asset value on fire. It really sucks to have a season blasted into the toilet before it really gets started but that's what's happened.

Stop patching holes in the dam with chewing gum. Let these guys play their way out of this. They might be bad but they have to have enough pride and ownership to build themselves back to what they were able to to get paid and/or to get out of hell.

Also the best thing they can do is stop this wasn't my coach nonsense and either let Bruce off the hook now or give him autonomy to bench anyone not giving 100%. They picked up enough depth to do it at least use it in a meaningful way now

I agree here, actually. They really screwed up between last years deadline and the Miller contact, but that’s not reason to rush into screwing up again.

As long as they resolve to do what needs to be done at this year’s deadline and moving forward you can let this ride a bit.

One caveat I’d add, however, is if they have a halfway decent offer for Miller at any point they should immediately ship that busted ass contact right out of town.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
We probably have the more talented roster than the Ducks but have performed at a relatively similar level, if we lose this though I hope that management can see the light that pretty much every fan sees with trading vets away and embracing the rebuild.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I cancelled my SN subscription today. Will either be doing something else or streaming the game.

Ducks have speed up front but have a god awful D core. John Klingberg made one of the most horrendous decisions I have witnessed in recent memory betting on himself...I truly think this is a guy that could have gotten a retirement contract prior to last year but hilariously elected to go to UFA. Dallas or some other team avoided a massive "OEL-mistake." Like OEL, he was good in his early to mid 20's and just fell off a cliff due to injuries.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad