Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3 - Sharks 1 || Miller's on a roll and Honey Badger did a bad.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
Now that's what a 60 minute effort looks like, the Twins didn't look great to start the game but their line turned it on in the second. Miller with another great game as well everyone doing the little things to get the win.:handclap:

Toxic0n

We are all mumps
Dec 10, 2008
Tank nation
Ayyy, I forgot I bet vCash on this :yo:

I didn't - I follow the "Donny Taylor principle" and mostly bet against the Canucks for big games. vCash is running low :laugh:
Great win, great game by Miller. Seeing Thornton whine all the way to the penalty box made me smile. Hoping Hansen doesn't get suspended.

Man, that Sbisa though. Such great physical tools, surely he can be taught to play a simple stay at home game a-la Rome?

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
so we have had a player's career ended, another out with a concussion, and one leave on a stretcher within the last calendar year. All 3 on dirty plays and all 3 went unpunished.

Yet we are about to see another suspension to one of our players.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Is there a gif of the Hansen hit anywhere? I thought it was to the shoulder all the way. I know the main boards might have a topic but I don't feel like losing my lunch at those comments.

ghostingtaro

Nov 2, 2013
so we have had a player's career ended, another out with a concussion, and one leave on a stretcher within the last calendar year. All 3 on dirty plays and all 3 went unpunished.

That sounds about right.

Time for Linden to work his magic and call the big boys out :naughty:

McHortton

Accidental Tank 2016
Jun 28, 2013
Vancouver

Yeah it's ********* , but atleast Hansen scored right out of the box , that was icing on the cake!

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Great win. Miller was pretty good despite being beaten twice (thank god for the posts), but you have to be good to be lucky.

Hansen continues his strong play. Really glad we didn't dump in the off-season. I have a feeling he will get a lengthy suspension because the NHL is that inept.

Glad to see Horvat back on the score sheet. :handclap:

Reffing continues to be brutal in SJ for some reason. :help:

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
I missed the entire game but did the Sharks play a squeaky clean penalty free game again like the stat sheet would have you believe? amazing how many times they do that against us...

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Real turn around from their last game. Don't know if Anaheim is that much better than San Jose but I don't see us shutting down Anaheim like we did San Jose in this game.

The Good

Sedins - huge bounce back effort. Some times you get nervous when they don't dump the puck in tight situations but then you realize that their desire to control the puck is probably a lot more important. Too bad Henrik didn't get a better angle on the open net for his 200th goal.

Hansen - best forward and probably best player again. You have to start to wonder how high his potential is. Comparisons to Alfredsson might ultimately be justified.

Bieksa - kept it simple and IMO did an excellent job. Coverage around his net was so much better in this game.

Tanev/Edler - very good. Tanev is such a great compliment for Edler. Edler is being put in positions where he can have much more confidence handling the puck.
Right now have to one of the top duos in the League - certainly looked better than anything San Jose had to offer in this game

Stanton - right back on his game. Thought his puck movement was very good and his work on the pk (as was many others) was excellent

Miller - outstanding again. If we go anywhere if will probably be on the back of Miller.

Burrows - skating better in this one. Very effective on the forecheck and in making smart plays in the neutral zone.

Richardson - took a dirty knee and when he was out he was missed. Like Burrows he played very solid in every zone and was good, as always, on the PK

Not so Good

Vey - always gives it a go but looked tired in this game and got bounced around a lot. Needs to release his shot a little quicker. One shift at center was particularly bad and pretty much cements the fact that Vey is winger material.

Bonino - poor icing at the end typified Bonino's game. Right now not showing the wheels to get himself out of d-zone or into good offensive positions. Is this player trade bait?

Matthais - didn't show much focus in this game. Seemed a step behind the play. Still hasn't got back to pre-concussion play. Might be good b/c is will make it easier to re-sign him. Like Vey saw a lot bench time in this game. Indication that Desjardins really has a good eye for is on and who is not.

Other Thoughts

Line changes have to be improved. Especially on the long change

Horvat seems to have pattern of starting strong and then falling off a bit as game goes on. To be expected. Great that he got a goal and great that he is fulfilling team's expectations. Guy is only going to get better.

Reffing was obviously one sided and if the League actually wants to cut down on diving the the place to start is in San Jose. Their modus operandi is simply to dive a lot and get the PP out. They have some slower guys who can work when they have space but they have to get the calls. Can see them continually work the refs and linemens to get the calls. Fans are in on it and boo any call against them and scream bloody murder if every dive isn't called.

When it is so blatant it demands comment. However, everyone seems so concerned with being called a homer that they mute any response. It's not being a homer to describe what's happening and to provide opinion. Hopefully, if it was the other way around we could say the same thing. In the end , it a form of cowardice to be cowed by PC protocol and say nothing about an unfair situation.

Hansen should, of course, not get any suspension for the flop by Wingels. But given the Vancouver factor probably will.

donutz0r

Jan 12, 2010
Dallas. Go Canucks!
I missed the entire game but did the Sharks play a squeaky clean penalty free game again like the stat sheet would have you believe? amazing how many times they do that against us...
It's pretty incredible, isn't it? The only penalty that was called was when Thornton slashed a stick (Higgins', maybe?) and it broke, so they HAD to make the call.

edit: If I recall, Thornton was upset about the call, too.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
Looking forward to the NHL re-setting a precedent by giving Hansen a lengthy suspension. In truth, giving Hansen 10 + games on what is clearly a dangerous hit, would be fantastic for player health and the league. But the NHL isn't interested in player health, and this shouldn't get a single game based on what they've decided to do this year in terms of supplemental discipline.

I'm still pulling for Benning to trade Hamhuis to give Vancouver another top 6 forward. Don't have the time or patience to look at guys who might or might not be available, but adding another offensive threat into the line-up could do wonders.

Stacked 4 lines > strong 3 defensive pairs in todays NHL.

Strengthening those 4 lines even further would make Vancouver scary. And somehow finding a way for the opposition to throw their best defensive pairing and checking line against a line other than the Sedin's, could really open another door for the team.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
It's pretty incredible, isn't it? The only penalty that was called was when Thornton slashed a stick (Higgins', maybe?) and it broke, so they HAD to make the call.

edit: If I recall, Thornton was upset about the call, too.

I believe his argument was that the Canuck had a bad stick and it's not his fault

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Pretty entertaining game.

The NHL should be ashamed calling themselves a professional league. 5 seconds of PP time for the Canucks in two games playing two teams who are in the top half of most penalized teams in the league. Anaheim is a top 5 penalized team this year. We are talking about minor on ice miracles happening that these two teams "coincidentally" just happened to play two of their most disciplined games against the Canucks. How unlucky for the Canucks to run into Anaheim and San Jose when they are playing the most angelic, Lady Byng like hockey either team has played in years.

**** the NHL, **** the Officials, **** Toronto and everyone in it.

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
The hockey gods caused Hansen to score out of the box because of how Wingels stayed down to try to get it up into a major, that's how I saw it.

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
I believe his argument was that the Canuck had a bad stick and it's not his fault

lol, thornton, what a ******. "I'm telling ya ref, it was already broken when I slashed it!"

The NHL should be ashamed calling themselves a professional league. 5 seconds of PP time for the Canucks in two games playing two teams who are in the top half of most penalized teams in the league. Anaheim is a top 5 penalized team this year. We are talking about minor on ice miracles happening that these two teams "coincidentally" just happened to play two of their most disciplined games against the Canucks. How unlucky for the Canucks to run into Anaheim and San Jose when they are playing the most angelic, Lady Byng like hockey either team has played in years.

Amen.

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

Jul 14, 2009
Sudbury

It's the reason why I told my family/friends I wanted no NHL gear at all this holiday season and I won't spend a dime until there is a culture change in the suits above.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Anyone remember how diving was the most horrible, despicable, dirty, dishonourable thing on the planet to do back when...when was that...just a few short years ago?

The hypocrisy of the NHL never ceases to blow me away. One of our guys goes down to a headshot? Nothing. Not a peep from NHL HO. Injured? Career over? Who gives a ****, it's Vancouver. Ten bucks says Hansen gets...I'll say 3 games. For a hit on a guy who comes back the same game and obviously stayed down longer trying to draw the major. The one and only penalty called against SJ Thornton slashed the stick in half right in front of the ref, cries and moans all the way to the box...hey, wasn't it bad to be a whiner? Wasn't that also a thing? I know I heard a lot of THIS IS WHY EVERYONE HATES YOU!!!! **** once upon a time. So sick of this act. Everyone lined up to scream outrage when the Canucks were labeled as whiners and divers and cheapshot rats...so explain to me why these same teams have jumped headfirst into those tactics themselves? And they're now obviously working for them?

Make your ****ing mind up, NHL.

Anyway, good game. Glad to see a bounceback effort from the boys. Miller was terrific, Hansen of course had the beauty goal after the PK, Sedins got going again after a shaky 1st period. Between periods they must have read my post in the last PGT about how they were floating around in passing lanes instead of trying to pressure the dmen, because they actually started initiating board battles. :sarcasm:

Next SJ game, I want Sestito to utterly plow Thornton into the wall.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Missed the game, caught the highlights.

Wicked snipe by Hansen. Burrows looked very busy in the highlight package, which is great news all around.

Watch "the Pavelski" draw the penalty shot if you want to learn how to draw penalties. I've been saying it for years: This guy is heads and shoulders above anyone else at diving and never getting called for it.

Any reason his legs suddenly go all rubbery when Edler just barely leans on him from behind while attempting the stick check? He just flops to the ice. Can't stand that doofus and his antics, and yet, he must draw at least a penalty each game doing it. So annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad