Post-Game Talk: Canucks 3 - Islanders 2 || The Defensemen Are Falling but Bonino Broke The Slump.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
It's good. Talking to people is a terrible experience

It's the faces. They move and make shapes and things that apparently mean something. Too confusing.

I missed the game and just peeked at this thread a few times. Thanks to yee posters.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Is it just me or is rogers arena getting a lot louder since the beginning of the season? I haven't watched in a while and it sounds a lot less quiet lol.

Was at the game tonight, and it's not just you. It was louder than games earlier on in the season. Most of the noise is coming from a couple of the upper level sections who are whooping it up. It's a nice change from the usual tomb-like atmosphere.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
It's the faces. They move and make shapes and things that apparently mean something. Too confusing.

I missed the game and just peeked at this thread a few times. Thanks to yee posters.

Indeed, it also takes away valuable time that I could be spending on HF

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Was at the game tonight, and it's not just you. It was louder than games earlier on in the season. Most of the noise is coming from a couple of the upper level sections who are whooping it up. It's a nice change from the usual tomb-like atmosphere.

The Eddie chant was nice I quite enjoyed that

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Yeah, that was great! Loved getting to cheer for Lack.

I had some cool seats tonight. I was in top row of the lower bowl, the closest seats to the TV cameras. They were right over my head. So basically when I got home and watched the highlights, they looked exactly like it looked from my vantage point all night! It was like someone recorded my memories. Kinda neat.

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
Was at the game, seemed like the refs let the Isles get away with A LOT. Should have had a few extra powerplays for sure.

So, so much this. Much yelling was had at the tv this night.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
Kassian had some filthy plays, just so good at keeping possession along the boards.

Sedin's looked like they struggled with the speed and pressure of the Islanders system but their defensemen also made some very last minute pass blocks that would have been wide open chances.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
He had a better game tonight then he's had in a while. Regardless, he will never get traded. So just learn to deal with it.

Ideally, as he gets older, Bieksa (and others) should be pushed down the roster. Expecting Bieksa to play top four minutes every night is asking one hell of a lot! Really, the organization is failing players like Bieksa by not letting them age out gracefully.

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
Had the pleasure of going to this game with my family. Last year we went to the Nucks-Isles game where Tavares was injured and we blew a three goal lead in the third. So this was a nice change.

-I love Matthias and Kassian together, they have a lot of similarities in play style, which I think the coach has recognized. Kassian tries to make more plays and slow the game down while Matthias is much faster, but other than that, they're so good at possessing the puck along the boards. They seem to have frequent shifts of keep-away with lots of cycling and mucking around the corners. Matthias stops and starts very quickly and those short bursts really help him recover pucks or find the extra foot of ice.

-Sbisa makes me nervous when he touches the puck, seems like every game there's a 50% chance a brutal turnover of his leads directly to a goal against. His other facets are average at this point. He's still pretty young though, looks like a long term project.

-Sedins were as good as they usually are. Had a couple of shifts of long possession with some scoring chances, and a couple of unremarkable stretches including the power play. Henrik still having trouble orchestrating clean breakouts from the D zone. Burrows isn't the player he was a couple of years ago, but you could still see at least remnants of how his game complements the Sedins, most notably on that one play where he went cross ice to Daniel who went into the middle to Henrik.

-Bo Horvat is a kid in a man's body playing in a man's game. His usage of body weight isn't very effective at the moment.

-Vey had a very Vey game. Made a couple of sweet quick plays, had a couple of egregious turnovers, and scored. I see a lot of potential in him; given his creativity, skills, and relative youth, he should be given plenty of time to get used to tougher NHL minutes. Sheltering him is the right thing to do as he matures.

-You could tell Bones was happy to get off the schneid. He's had chances but finally got to bury one today with a quick move in tight. He'll get a lot more of those kinds of goals, he's a very skilled player.

-The team D was solid in the third. Unlike previous coaching incarnations of "sitting on the lead", the team seems to be having more success with it this time around. Sedins playing keep-away on the PK and having a huge minute-eating shift after the Grabovski goal helped a lot, but it's 5 men on every backcheck, and more often than not, the opposition isn't able to put anything together. I don't mind sitting on the lead if you can pull it off -- sure it doesn't bode well for Corsi stats when you aren't putting shot attempts on goal, but if they aren't giving up many big chances or late goals, then I'll enjoy the two points all the same.

Optimism is cautious, huge loss from Dallas today, but the Sharks and Wild had a 3-point game, which I hate to see from two teams so close to us in the standings. Hopefully Hamhuis coming back will ease the load on the D as Sbisa, Bieksa, and Weber have been generous in their turnovers. We need to keep pace. Two wins in a row while holding several games in hand is huge.

Last edited:

DCantheDDad

DisplacedNuckfan
Jul 1, 2013
Edmonton
I very much enjoyed waking up and watching this game this morning. I will say that it drives me nuts when the refs let everything go as they did in the final period (both ways). It absolutely has an effect on the game, but I'll end this line of thought before I get off on a rant.

Kassian looked great to me in this game. Went to the net a few times, threw his weight around and still managed to find time to make some nice passes. I think that is exactly what the management and coaching staff wanted from him.

Huzzah! Now to light up Lou on Thursday.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Some quick love for Tanev he erased all of the Isles offense coming down his side.

Didn't like Higgins offensively this game. His one move coming down the left side is skate wide, get angled off and let off a wrister that usually goes wide. Unfortunate that he's being asked to play on the 2nd line, he's a great 3rd liner.

Daniel Sedin didn't look great. Weaker and more hesitant than his brother. I'd honestly keep Burr with Hank and shift Daniel down at ES. Burr-Hank-Vrbata, D. Sedin - Bones - whoever

Burrows played really well. His playmaking really comes out with the Sedins for some reason.

Kassian had an impactful game. The type of player I wouldn't want to play against in a 7 game series. Kass is going to turn his physical play down, WD/Benning can't expect that type of play over 82 games.

Richardson is a good 3C but he plays a like a complete grinder. Wish Kass/Matthias had a finisher and Richardson gets shifted to play with Hansen/Dorsett. That would be quality.

Stanton played a good stay at home game. Bieksa was complacent on the first goal - completely in position just too casual. That's not Bieksa being old or regressing.

HiggsBroson

Feb 2, 2010
Side note for you: Around the holidays 1040 was playing clips of Canuck players talking about their best Christmas memories. Chris's was when his little brother was born and he also got his first pair of roller blades.

Awwww..... warm and fuzzies. :handclap:

Hahaha that's our little brother Rob, born on Christmas '95. I didn't make the cut on Christmas memories I guess haha

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011

Could it be a side effect of a decreased STH renewals, which allows more people who don't come out as often to go?

arsmaster*

Could it be a side effect of a decreased STH renewals, which allows more people who don't come out as often to go?

Could be because they started "the wave" in the 2nd period instead of the 3rd. :handclap:

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
When the game thread was relatively dead, I was thinking... "Is everyone at the game? A mid-week tilt against the Islanders seems so random for that to be the case." But yes, apparently that's precisely what was happening.

Optimism is cautious, huge loss from Dallas today, but the Sharks and Wild had a 3-point game, which I hate to see from two teams so close to us in the standings.
Ah, the NHL. Making its fans cheer for or against random s*** since 1999.

Can you just imagine NFL fans praying that a team scores an odd number of points or something?

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck

Beaker.gif

Kassian continues to never get a top 6 role even after his impressive effort last game.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i fell asleep during the second intermission but a fun game to watch up to that point. and happy eddie hung on for the win.

watching the sedins on that 2 on 1 was like watching two glaciers inch towards, i don't know: a third glacier i guess. no idea how that analogy should end. but the play was comical and it ended exactly the way i expected.

vey looked more involved, which was nice to see. nice head's up play by boho to spring him. kassian was a beast. but sadly burrows no longer has the motor in him to add that oomph to the sedin line.

oh, and sbisa played like he belongs in the 11th round of the expansion draft with chris mcallister, drake berehowski, young jassen cullimore, brent tully, robert dirk, who else am i forgetting? NHL body, deutscheliga brain.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I thought Kassian played great last night but anyone expecting him to play that well every night is crazy. Playing physical takes its toll and if Kass was playing like that consistently, every night, then he would already be Bertuzzi. I've been listening to TSN 1040 a ton lately as I've been stuck at home sick and its amazing how many media people think Kass is getting traded, and mostly to Boston. And this isn't Eklund media people either, we are talking Mckenzie, Duthie, Gallagher, Lebrun, etc. If they trade Kassian for anything other than an extreme overpayment or a very solid top-4 dman (think better than Garrison) I will be livid.

arsmaster*

i fell asleep during the second intermission but a fun game to watch up to that point. and happy eddie hung on for the win.

watching the sedins on that 2 on 1 was like watching two glaciers inch towards, i don't know: a third glacier i guess. no idea how that analogy should end. but the play was comical and it ended exactly the way i expected.

vey looked more involved, which was nice to see. nice head's up play by boho to spring him. kassian was a beast. but sadly burrows no longer has the motor in him to add that oomph to the sedin line.

oh, and sbisa played like he belongs in the 11th round of the expansion draft with chris mcallister, drake berehowski, young jassen cullimore, brent tully, robert dirk, who else am i forgetting? NHL body, deutscheliga brain.
That analogy made me spit out a bit of coffee. :handclap:

cc

Feb 28, 2002
really quite amazing that the refs can miss 2 high sticking calls against the Canucks but can easily notice every Canuck infraction

canuck4life16

It what it is-mccann
May 29, 2008
Vancity
why does Willie still have Higgins with Bonino should break it off and try some new combination...... poor kassian he should at least get a chance for top 6 minutes and these horrible rumors that he is going to be traded........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad