GDT: Canes @ Oilers 1/04

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Havoq

Havoq
Apr 24, 2013
Raleigh, NC
:canes
Versteeg - E. Staal - Lindholm
Nordstrom - J. Staal - Nestrasil
Skinner - Rask - McGinn
Malone - McClement - Nash

Faulk - Liles
Slavin - Hainsey
Hanifin - Pesce

Wardo

:edmonton
Hall - Draisaitl - Purcell
Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Hendricks - Letestu - Korpikoski
Klinkhammer - Lander - Khaira

Nurse - Schultz
Sekera - Davidson
Hunt - Gryba

Talbot​

*Lineups subject to change

Oogie Boogie

Apr 9, 2011
Will try and actually watch the game tonight instead of seeing snippets here and there

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That's way more effort than we usually get in GDTs, I hope it doesn't backfire. :sarcasm:

This should be a good test for the young D of the Canes and hopefully a fun game to watch. Even without McDavid and Yakupov, the Oilers have a talented, fast top 6.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
yeah thats scary forward depth once yak and mcdavid get healthy

luckily that defense is arguably worse than anything the canes have iced in the last few years

so, because nothing about the canes makes sense

1-0 canes, cam ward with a shutout

Thehair17

Nov 2, 2013
Alberta
At the game tonight, hoping for a win, but considering we got shutout the only other time I saw them, even 1 goal would be a marked improvement.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

luckily that defense is arguably worse than anything the canes have iced in the last few years

They are missing their best D in Klefbom, but I don't know about that in the bold. The lockout year, I recall some games where Pitkanen, Faulk and/or Gleason were out and we had Corvo and I think Harrison on the top pairing? I'll have to go try to dig that up but there were quite a few games when the Canes iced some brutal defenses.

EDIT: not quite. I remembered they had a bad D against Toronto and for that one, they had Faulk, Corvo, Sanguinetti, McBain, Harrison and Jordan.

Feb 26th they called up Murphy from juniors for a couple games and went with Faulk, Corvo, Sanguinetti, Harrison, Gragnani and Murphy against Washington.

A couple games when Faulk and Joni were hurt in April they went with a combination of Gleason, Corvo, McBain, Sanginetti, Harrison, MAB and Bellemore.

:laugh: No wonder we are all so giddy about having what looks to be a young, promising group of defensemen.

Last edited:

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
They are missing their best D in Klefbom, but I don't know about that in the bold. The lockout year, I recall some games where Pitkanen, Faulk and/or Gleason were out and we had Corvo and I think Harrison on the top pairing? I'll have to go try to dig that up but there were quite a few games when the Canes iced some brutal defenses.

EDIT: not quite. I remembered they had a bad D against Toronto and for that one, they had Faulk, Corvo, Sanguinetti, McBain, Harrison and Jordan.

Feb 26th they called up Murphy from juniors for a couple games and went with Faulk, Corvo, Sanguinetti, Harrison, Gragnani and Murphy against Washington.

A couple games when Faulk and Joni were hurt in April they went with a combination of Gleason, Corvo, McBain, Sanginetti, Harrison, MAB and Bellemore.

:laugh: No wonder we are all so giddy about having what looks to be a young, promising group of defensemen.

simpsons-fire.gif

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere

still not as bad as our 2013 defense

edit: BBA beat me to it

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
On the Oilers broadcast, they mentioned that Ward and Staal are the only 2 Canes players from the SC championship team. It was 10 years ago, so not that much of a surprise. I think there are only 4-5 guys from that team even left in the NHL now days, right? Staal, Ward, Williams, Ladd and Cullen. Am I missing anyone?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
On the Oilers broadcast, they mentioned that Ward and Staal are the only 2 Canes players from the SC championship team. It was 10 years ago, so not that much of a surprise. I think there are only 4-5 guys from that team even left in the NHL now days, right? Staal, Ward, Williams, Ladd and Cullen. Am I missing anyone?

Think that is all of them. Whitney and Cole retired last season. What's Craig Adams up to?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Hanifin and Pesce are fun to watch. Pesce's more aggressive offensively than Hanifin, but Hanifin is so smooth with his skating and puck handling.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Seems that with last change, Oilers are constantly matching the Hall/Draisatl line against the Rask/Skinner line.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

Vrbata, although he got traded during the season.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
He's retiring soon, we ended his career.

But other then that, an 18 yo playing 19 mins a night and other than the rare rookie brain fart, he's one of the best skaters I have seen on D.

That's great to hear, do you see him devolving an offensive game? Maybe becoming a 40ish point guy?

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I still can't get over how ugly Edmonton's unis are. The '80s are over folks. Go back to those beauties you wore from the late '90s to the early '00s or something based off that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad