Canes name Eric Tulsky GM (Remove the "Acting" Title)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Worth noting, he's only in charge of the on-ice and coaching personnel. Dundon is hiring a new manager for the business side of the operation, duties usually undertaken by the GM as well.

Which, I guess kind of blows up the whole 'so cheap' narrative when you're paying for 2 people to perform the duties that is usually done by 1 elsewhere.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Worth noting, he's only in charge of the on-ice and coaching personnel. Dundon is hiring a new manager for the business side of the operation, duties usually undertaken by the GM as well.

Which, I guess kind of blows up the whole 'so cheap' narrative when you're paying for 2 people to perform the duties that is usually done by 1 elsewhere.
Elsewhere, what teams still do that? The last decade or beyond have been big on presidents who do things separately businesswise from GMs.

Reactions: Elsker

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Hiring a guy with no hockey experience and he went to med school. What could possibly go wrong? 🤔
He has a decade of experience in hockey management including 4 years as one of the league's most influential Assistant GMs, running all pro scouting including both the analytical and traditional scouting teams for one of the most successful teams in the league over that period.

And understanding how the world works outside of a hyper-insular hockey culture is not a negative.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Chayka especially was more in sports psychology/science than analytics. And neither of them have accomplished as much as Tulsky has as individuals.

That might have been Chayka's focus during his tenure, but he founded Stathletes and that's what got him hired, his analytics.

He's fine though, apparently he owns 12 Wendy's and operates 30 restaurants, and is on the board of Wendy's Canada. :laugh:

• Wow
Reactions: Nucker101

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
I don't get the Chayka comparison. Tulsky has been in the organization for 10 years, Chayka was in an NHL organization for a year before becoming GM. Tulsky worked himself up from a consultant to GM. Aslong as Yorke is still around and the team is still being ran by a committee the franchise shouldn't be ran into the ground.

Reactions: Tryamw and cptjeff

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I don't get the Chayka comparison. Tulsky has been in the organization for 10 years, Chayka was in an NHL organization for a year before becoming GM. Tulsky worked himself up from a consultant to GM. Aslong as Yorke is still around and the team is still being ran by a committee the franchise shouldn't be ran into the ground.

It's an even funnier comparison than people think. Tulsky is 50 and has been working with the Canes for a decade while steadily getting promoted. Chayka was a 26(!) year old weenie with a year's experience in an NHL organization. Calling Chayka overmatched is an understatement of the century, and very much an indictment of how incompetently the Coyotes were run that they were so blinded by the analytics halo that they were willing to hire such an immature and green GM.

Last edited:

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Tulsky was asked in an interview how his previous experience leading scientific teams could translate to success in his new role. His response:

"[I was] very good at identifying people who could fill a role and putting them in position to succeed and giving them everything they needed to be successful."

Obviously only time will tell, but I'm optimistic about Tulsky in this role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad