Canadiens: Are you cheering for Edmonton?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you want the Oilers to win?

• Yes

Votes: 137 46.6%
  • No

Votes: 157 53.4%

• Total voters

dukeofjive

Jul 7, 2013
whistler b.c
For some reason this is such a hard choice for me, the issue is that which ever team wins the cup this year a massive amount of fans will go ape shit.

GreeningOil

Yarpmeister
Jun 22, 2016
Saskatoon
I'm rooting for the Oilers for three reasons:
1, most important by far: the Panthers are savages that play the "NHL refs are ineffective at preventing you from trying to hurt people" strategy I detest so much.

2. I like it when great players win the cup. I'd like McDavid to get one.

3. I don't want to hear about this stupid "Canada needs to win a cup" narrative anymore.

The main thing making me want to cheer for Florida is that I think they've shown a master class in team building, with everyone in the organization having performed admirably to earn this cup. Great drafting and development, great pro scouting and trades, building a team identity (that I hate) and leadership core, and then actually performing up to this level is what every team should strive to do.

Realistically there's like 7 or 8 people total in the Oilers organization that I'd even engrave on the cup if they won it this year. Most members of the organization appear to be actively thwarting this cup attempt. I think you could give the average HF poster control of the team in 2016 and they'd have won 2 cups already. Note that I've been on here for a while and do not have a high opinion of you people.

Still for the three reasons stated, I'll roll with the Oilers.
Shots fired lol.

TCIH

Nov 26, 2007
Montreal
I'm a Canadian Canadiens fan.

I really like McDavid, Draisaitl, and Hyman as players, and I'd love them to win a cup.

And I also want a Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup so that we can all stop paying attention to this 30 year drought. Enough is enough, please shut them up about it.

Plus I generally like the Oilers. I have a soft spot for them and the Canucks out west.

Now, if it were the Leafs in this position? I'd probably feel differently. But right now I'm very hopeful for the Oilers to get it done.

Reactions: Mr Positive

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I'm fairly neutral, but I want to see McDavid win. The guy has a legit shot to be ranked in the top 3-4 players of all time, and if he doesn't win a Cup, that will detract from the conversation.

ACLEVERNAME

Jan 6, 2010
It wouldn't kill me if they won, but no.

Also Evander Kane just rubs me the wrong way, so no.

Nogatco Rd

Music Has The Right To Children
Apr 3, 2021
No. I'll cheer on team Canada at the Olympics or Worlds. That's kind of why we have a team Canada.

This "team canada" narrative is rather embarrassing and cringe for the entire country.
At one point Edmonton was Team Canada tho so at least there’s some precedent

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Rooting against Tkachuk. If he wasn’t on the team, I’d be cheering for Florida all the way. The immediate success he’s had though just makes things feel so bitter.

byrath

Jan 28, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Yes. I root for all the Canadian teams nowadays, though I was raised to hate the Leafs and Habs. Maybe that will change after a Canadian team finally wins a Cup again, not sure.

Reactions: Mr Positive

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
No. I'll cheer on team Canada at the Olympics or Worlds. That's kind of why we have a team Canada.

This "team canada" narrative is rather embarrassing and cringe for the entire country.
I see

But isn't it a bit eyebrow raising that no Canadian team has won since 93?

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Hell No.

Nothing against the Oilers, I don’t care about them.

I just want drama. I want them to lose for the possible chaos that could happen. Edmonton winning would be the happy good ending. Who wants that?

If they don’t win, higher chance of Draisaitl not re-signing and leaving. Then McDavid could follow suit.

Then the trade packages for either of them would set the hockey world on fire. (Maybe MTL can get McDavid for one of Barron/Harris + Mesar + WPG 1st)

Or even funnier, one/both of them walking for free.

Can you imagine the drama ? I can.

View attachment 879362
The opposite.

If they win. It's mission accomplished. If they don't win, it's unfinished business with a team that made it to the finals.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
As a long suffering Leafs fan, yes, I'm cheering for Edmonton. Finally break the Bettman curse and because of more likeable players on the Oilers.

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
Question is weirdly constructed: how many those voted yes, voted because Oilers are canadian team?

Majority of Oilers fans are Canadian, so they're gonna obviously vote yes, and some neutral fans of Canadian teams may cheer for them, because they simply prefer them over Panthers, and fact that they're Canadian team is purely coincidental...

Anyway, for Canucks/Flames fans who will cheer for Oilers, I seriously question their loyality for their teams ;) .
Diehard Oiler fan here.

I'll root for almost every Canadian team, everytime.

digmor crusher

Jul 11, 2009
I am absolutely cheering for the Oilers to win,I refuse to cheer for any American team in any sport.
Only exception is the Leafs, will never cheer for them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad