Canadiens: Are you cheering for Edmonton?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you want the Oilers to win?

• Yes

Votes: 137 46.6%
  • No

Votes: 157 53.4%

• Total voters

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
I’m a Canadian and I’m cheering for EDM… the only Canadian team I won’t cheer for is TOR

No chance. And I'm sick of the media talking about "Canada's team". If there is a Canada's team it's the Leafs.
Laffs are definitely NOT Canada’s Team

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I never cheer for another canadian team.

watching CBC in the late 90's made me this way.

Reactions: nucks88

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
Ordinarily I would say no, but my nephew roots for the Oilers and I think it'd be cool to see him experience something I haven't been able to.

I can put petty grievances aside for Edmonton and get behind them. It's when I ask myself if I'd do the same if he were a Senators or Canadiens fans, that I'd probably have a bit of a struggle! Fortunately that is not the case.

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Has nothing to do with demographic shifts or the conversation I was having and has everything to do with increased costs
You can be honest with yourself, and realize that it's not just a cost thing, and that there are several factors at play here.

A Statistics Canada survey reveals that kids of recent immigrants — those who have been in the country for less than 10 years — are less likely to participate in sports (32 per cent) compared to those with Canadian-born parents (55 per cent).

Summary​

Children's participation in sport is influenced by gender, age, household income, parental education, parental involvement in sports activities, geographic location and immigrant status of parents.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I'm rooting for the Oilers for three reasons:
1, most important by far: the Panthers are savages that play the "NHL refs are ineffective at preventing you from trying to hurt people" strategy I detest so much.

2. I like it when great players win the cup. I'd like McDavid to get one.

3. I don't want to hear about this stupid "Canada needs to win a cup" narrative anymore.

The main thing making me want to cheer for Florida is that I think they've shown a master class in team building, with everyone in the organization having performed admirably to earn this cup. Great drafting and development, great pro scouting and trades, building a team identity (that I hate) and leadership core, and then actually performing up to this level is what every team should strive to do.

Realistically there's like 7 or 8 people total in the Oilers organization that I'd even engrave on the cup if they won it this year. Most members of the organization appear to be actively thwarting this cup attempt. I think you could give the average HF poster control of the team in 2016 and they'd have won 2 cups already. Note that I've been on here for a while and do not have a high opinion of you people.

Still for the three reasons stated, I'll roll with the Oilers.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
100%

McDavid has been the best player in the world for a while now and with so many teams and a hard cap its never been tougher to win. Hell, this might be the only finals he even gets to.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I doubt the Oilers beat Dallas if had we not move Kulak to the 2nd pairing with Nurse. And Broberg in for Vinny.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I'm cheering for Edmonton. But it's not because they're the Canadian (not "en") team. It's pretty much only because of McDavid.

He's the best player in the world, and I want to see him lift the Cup. That's a memory you can tell people about when you're 80. It's an experience.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I won't be sad if they win, because it would be nice to see McDavid win a cup in his prime (and a legitimate crime if he doesn't ever get one)

I'm still cheering against them though

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Didn’t vote. Just hope it’s a good series.
Would be nice for McDavid to get a cup I guess tho.

As a Canadian a Canadian team winning the cup doesn’t really matter to me.

Signed, a Bruins fan in Toronto

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
A Cup for Edmonton. Is a Cup for the whole country!

We promise we will share the glory.

Madap

May 24, 2019
Toronto, ON, Canada
They’re sure as hell not “Canada’s” team, but yeah I’d like them to win. I want McDavid to get one and all of the ex-Leafs there too, Hyman in particular.

I’d like some Canadian fans to be able to experience a cup again and Edmonton fans have had it pretty tough over the last little while. Those pre-McDavid years were brutal so they deserve a little good fortune.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
One other reason to cheer for EDM winning is it prevents TOR and MTL from “bringing the Cup back to Canada”… thereby saving us all from having to deal with their fans and their endless, annoying comments for the next decade

GO OILERS

Reactions: Foppberg

acor

Jan 13, 2012
Question is weirdly constructed: how many those voted yes, voted because Oilers are canadian team?

Majority of Oilers fans are Canadian, so they're gonna obviously vote yes, and some neutral fans of Canadian teams may cheer for them, because they simply prefer them over Panthers, and fact that they're Canadian team is purely coincidental...

Anyway, for Canucks/Flames fans who will cheer for Oilers, I seriously question their loyality for their teams ;) .

Reactions: Ace of Hades

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad