Canadiens: Are you cheering for Edmonton?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you want the Oilers to win?

• Yes

Votes: 137 46.6%
  • No

Votes: 157 53.4%

• Total voters

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
That's not how it works.

First gen immigrants are those who were born abroad. It's status never changes regardless as to how long they live in their host country.

According to USCB, the first generation of immigrants is composed of individuals who are foreign-born, which includes naturalized citizens, lawful permanent residents, protracted temporary residents (such as long-staying foreign students and migrant workers, but not tourists and family visitors), humanitarian migrants (such as refugees and asylees), and even unauthorized migrants.[2]

In some definitions, however, those born to at least one immigrant parent are considered "first generation"[1] — or rather, first generation of an immigrant's descendants (i.e. second generation from the USCB definition).
Great, still doesn’t change why I initially responded, you: nearly 2/3 are first gen, when StatsCan, says 26%.

We’re done, I’ve made my point.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
We know the curse that was placed on Canada before most of us here were born.

Are you Canadiens cheering for the Oilers to end the streak?

Or do you want it to continue until your team wins it?
You're just asking Quebec? The rest of us are Canadian.

I am cheering for the Oilers, but they're one of the only Canadian teams I would cheer for, just them and Winnipeg.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
Why would I cheer for a team just because they're in the same country as me? Blind nationalism?

And the concept of 'X player deserves the cup!'

No. No player deserves to win the cup. Either they win, or they don't. Don't care who they are, how big of a star they are. Win or don't. Deserve isn't part of the equation.

Reactions: Axe Man and Voight

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Pl

You could make an argument most of the new Canadians taking an interest in hockey are from immigrant families so your point is moot. The sport is growing and where those fans come from doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things.
Growing the game in what way exactly?

Hockey enrollment has been trending downwards in Canada since 2006, with a slight rebound after COVID.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Growing the game in what way exactly?

Hockey enrollment has been trending downwards in Canada since 2006, with a slight rebound after COVID.
Thanks, actually in the article, the graph shows the number increasing as a trend for Canada, until Covid,
07/08 - 559k
18/19 - 644k
19/20 -605k
20/21 - 385k
21/22 - 521k

hard to say if it gets back to pre Covid high. Not sure of last 2 years numbers as not listed.

Also for Ontario
Between 2006-07 and 2021-22, the number of Ontario kids enrolled in hockey fell by nearly 20 percent (241,500 in 2006-07 to 203,100 in 2021-22) even though the total number of kids under age 17 was nearly identical at 2.77 million.

So kids number stable, decline is in adults, in Ontario.

Last edited:

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Great, still doesn’t change why I initially responded, you: nearly 2/3 are first gen, when StatsCan, says 26%.

We’re done, I’ve made my point.
I was PROJECTING. You are talking about now. You can't mathmatically expand a population from 38M to 100M in less than 80 years without the vast majority being first gen immigrants who will not really assimulate to Canadian culture but instead retain their own interests with things like sports.

It's fine. It is what it is. But that's the reality.

As such over the course of the next 50 years I fully expect expensive hockey to take a back seat to European soccer.

Questions like this are weird. Are all American fans cheering for Florida? Probably not.
tell me about it. Our entire nation is insecure about hockey.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
tell me about it. Our entire nation is insecure about hockey.

Well no need to project then, if you want to be technical, North America is 100% based on immigrants.

Also, you’re not speaking for the entire nation, most I know arent insecure about hockey. That’s hyperbole, “our entire nation”.

Anyways you obviously like the last word on everything. So have at it, enjoy the weather.

beachcomber

Apr 6, 2015
27 Canucks in the finals, 3 Yanks and a smattering of euros. Doesn’t really matter if a Canadian team wins.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
As an alleged Canadien that's conveniently lived in Tennessee his whole life, I too am cheering for Edmonton

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Well no need to project then, if you want to be technical, North America is 100% based on immigrants.

Also, you’re not speaking for the entire nation, most I know arent insecure about hockey. That’s hyperbole, “our entire nation”.

Anyways you obviously like the last word on everything. So have at it, enjoy the weather.
Anyone that's turned these finals into a Canada vs US thing are insecure.

It's a bunch of Canadians playing another bunch of Canadians. We had a team Canada...they couldn't get bronze.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I’m cheering for McDavid to win a championship.

But I did pick Florida in my bracket so it would work out too.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Canadian people are a changing demographic. We will likely see a surge in cricket and a decline in the interest of hockey
The patriots in here are just self hating ones that have an inferiority complex and cry about how hard it is to win a cup in canada and that betman is against us when all 6 teams have actually had some of the most putrid management league wide for several decades ,they blame anybody and everything except the actual people in charge of running canadian teams lol. Blame taxes blame the weather but don't blame the neanderthals that keep getting hired because of nepotism around the board in these canadian markets lool

Reactions: joelef

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
The patriots in here are just self hating ones that have an inferiority complex and cry about how hard it is to win a cup in canada and that betman is against us when all 6 teams have actually had some of the most putrid management league wide for several decades ,they blame anybody and everything except the actual people in charge of running canadian teams lol. Blame taxes blame the weather but don't blame the neanderthals that keep getting hired because of nepotism around the board in these canadian markets lool
While I agree, to be fair NHL players are kind of weak sauce compared to other leagues. Attention players recieved in Canada , specifically Montreal and Toronto are not close to the attention a basketball or football player gets in America.

The fact that they run off to smaller markets to hide from attention by putting Canadian markets on their no trade lists is pathetic in itself.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

If the people you are talking too have turned this into America vs Canada...yes. they are insecure

Petey O

I can teach you how to play gicky gackers
Feb 26, 2021
Brock Boeser
I'd rather cheer for the Bruins to win another cup than I would for Edmonton or Toronto to win another.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
As a Flames fan, I would have to commit sudoku as recompense for such a dishonour on my family. Ironically, only Oilers fans will understand.
Sudoku? Just don't commit crossword. (Of course hockey fans are more likely to commit word search than crossword.)

Reactions: Crow

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad