Canadiens: Are you cheering for Edmonton?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Do you want the Oilers to win?

• Yes

Votes: 137 46.6%
  • No

Votes: 157 53.4%

• Total voters

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Hell No.

Nothing against the Oilers, I don’t care about them.

I just want drama. I want them to lose for the possible chaos that could happen. Edmonton winning would be the happy good ending. Who wants that?

If they don’t win, higher chance of Draisaitl not re-signing and leaving. Then McDavid could follow suit.

Then the trade packages for either of them would set the hockey world on fire. (Maybe MTL can get McDavid for one of Barron/Harris + Mesar + WPG 1st)

Or even funnier, one/both of them walking for free.

Can you imagine the drama ? I can.

View attachment 879362
"I just want drama, if they lose they both might want to leave haha!"
Followed by:
"Maybe my team can get one of them"

Sounds like you don't want drama at all tbh, just trying to thinly veil getting some stuff for cheap.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Damn right I'm cheering for Edmonton only because it will make me happy if they can win the cup before Toronto, I wish my Sens could win it first but if not any Canadian team who wins the cup except Toronto makes me happy, listen I'm born and raise in Ontario, I love my province but the media in Toronto is the worst, they are so condescending towards the other franchises in Canada it's infuriating!!!

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Not really, but I hope they win so I never hear about this topic again.
This comes up every playoffs. Anytime a Canadian team makes it to the finals because Canada hockey fans are that insecure

Damn right I'm cheering for Edmonton only because it will make me happy if they can win the cup before Toronto, I wish my Sens could win it first but if not any Canadian team who wins the cup except Toronto makes me happy, listen I'm born and raise in Ontario, I love my province but the media in Toronto is the worst, they are so condescending towards the other franchises in Canada it's infuriating!!!
Honest question, have you actually watched a Toronto broadcast? Because Sportsnet color commentators commentators and broadcast team always talk up the visitors and have no semblance of being homers like you experience in other markets like Boston and Chicago and what not, it's actually growing annoying.

They're trying really hard to spread out hockey fans over the other markets.

But if you're just talking about media coverage and the like where all hockey news has to have something to do with Toronto in the headline, then I would agree that is obnoxious. But they're doing that because that's the easiest way they can ensure that they're going to get attention, clicks, likes and shares

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Canadian people are a changing demographic. We will likely see a surge in cricket and a decline in the interest of hockey
Aaaaand there’s the “hidden” racism in your post. Said demographic you are talking about makes up around 5% of the population. Atleast hide it a bit better

Reactions: leafsfan5

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'm good either way, but I have a ton of buddies who are Oilers fans, so I'll be happy for them if they win.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Aaaaand there’s the “hidden” racism in your post. Said demographic you are talking about makes up around 5% of the population. Atleast hide it a bit better
We've increased our population by that amount in less than 4 years. The goal is to have our population hit 100M by 2100. There is NO SHOT that you are going to get different cultures in canada assimilate to Canadian likes and interests at that speed. So you are talking about over half the population (closer to 2 3/rds) being first gen migrants. And you think they will suddenly lose their native interests and hobbies to take up Hockey?!

...I have a bridge to sell you.

And I'm not hating on it, but it is just the reality of the situation. Hockey will have a drastic down turn by 2100. It is what it is.

I suspect soccer will have a sudden spike in interest and growth in Canada if I'm being honest.

Last edited:

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
Pl
We've increaed our population by that amount in less than 4 years. The goal is to have our population hit 100M by 2100. There is NO SHOT that you are going to get different cultures in canada assimilate to Canadian likes and interests at that speed. So you are talking about over half the population (closer to 2 3/rds) being first gen migrants. And you think they will suddenly lose their native interests and hobbies to take up Hockey?!

And I'm not hating on it, but it is just the reality of the situation.
You could make an argument most of the new Canadians taking an interest in hockey are from immigrant families so your point is moot. The sport is growing and where those fans come from doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
everyone calling it cringe or insecure need to look in the mirror. Some of us have never been alive to see a passionate Canadian fan base win the cup. It would be cool if that happened. Nothing more to it

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
We've increased our population by that amount in less than 4 years. The goal is to have our population hit 100M by 2100. There is NO SHOT that you are going to get different cultures in canada assimilate to Canadian likes and interests at that speed. So you are talking about over half the population (closer to 2 3/rds) being first gen migrants. And you think they will suddenly lose their native interests and hobbies to take up Hockey?!

And I'm not hating on it, but it is just the reality of the situation. Hockey will have a drastic down turn by 2100. It is what it is.

I suspect soccer will have a sudden spike in interest and growth in Canada if I'm being honest.
lol @ your made up numbers, close to 2/3 being first gen migrants.

From StatsCan posted December 2022
At end of 2021, Consensus, 26.4%

Overall in Canada, 26.4% are first generation immigrants,

StatsCan also shows third generation makes up 56%.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
lol @ your made up numbers, close to 2/3 being first gen migrants.

From StatsCan posted December 2022
At end of 2021, Consensus, 26.4%

Overall in Canada, 26.4% are first generation immigrants,

StatsCan also shows third generation makes up 56%.
If the goal is to balloon the population to 100M in the next 74 years, ya. That's going to consist of first gen migrants. The majority will have to be first gen migrants. You are trying to triple the current population.

That's just math.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Never understood why you'd want to cheer for a Team that's not your own,
I don't care who wins.

Fledgemyhedge

Apr 24, 2014
bob
If the goal is to balloon the population to 100M in the next 74 years, ya. That's going to consist of first gen migrants. The majority will have to be first gen migrants. You are trying to triple the current population.

That's just math.
I come from a town in BC which is made up of mostly Portuguese immigrants from the 50s and they’re all hockey fans over soccer. And I’m talking about the first gen ones. All bruins/habs/leafs.

Cultural shift maybe but it’s not going to become some niche like you’re alluding to

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

That's just math.
Just pointing out how brutal how far off you were on your initial post.

You are only a first gen, for 25 years or so, so first gen is constantly changing, so in 74 years you are third gen, from today.
Not sure why math is so hard, or to google Canada’s readily available consensus numbers.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I'm divided. McDavid deserves to get one, sure it would be cool to see a cup return to Canada, but I also have a buddy who is an Oilers fan that will be INSUFFERABLE for the next decade so...

Nov 1, 2011
I’d like to cheer for McDavid, even went to EDM and watched a non-Canuck game to cheer the on, but watching the EDM host guy Luke on Sportsnet is painful.

May skip the finals or just change channels during the intermission.

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Not cheering for Edmonton because Edmonton is in Canada, cheering for McDavid so in turn cheering for Edmonton.

I want the Sens to win, I wouldn’t cheer for any other Canadian team.

If McDavid was in Buffalo I’d cheer for him. Would only root against him if he were a Habs or Leaf.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
I come from a town in BC which is made up of mostly Portuguese immigrants from the 50s and they’re all hockey fans over soccer. And I’m talking about the first gen ones. All bruins/habs/leafs.

Cultural shift maybe but it’s not going to become some niche like you’re alluding to
past immigration cannot compare to what is planned because of the size and rate. We are talking about expanding the population in 76 years to 3X what is now. Assimilation to current Canadian culture will be impossible and much more likely they retain their native interests.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I'm old enough to remember the rivalry of the Oil and Jets of the 80s and 1990...it's hard to cheer for the Oilers. But I look at this series as either Paul Maurice or Canada are winning the Cup, and I'll just enjoy the process of how they get there.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Just pointing out how brutal how far off you were on your initial post.

You are only a first gen, for 25 years or so, so first gen is constantly changing, so in 74 years you are third gen, from today.
Not sure why math is so hard, or to google Canada’s readily available consensus numbers.
That's not how it works.

First gen immigrants are those who were born abroad. It's status never changes regardless as to how long they live in their host country.

According to USCB, the first generation of immigrants is composed of individuals who are foreign-born, which includes naturalized citizens, lawful permanent residents, protracted temporary residents (such as long-staying foreign students and migrant workers, but not tourists and family visitors), humanitarian migrants (such as refugees and asylees), and even unauthorized migrants.[2]

In some definitions, however, those born to at least one immigrant parent are considered "first generation"[1] — or rather, first generation of an immigrant's descendants (i.e. second generation from the USCB definition).

Andre Palot

Oct 20, 2012
Dover, NJ
Hell No.

Nothing against the Oilers, I don’t care about them.

I just want drama. I want them to lose for the possible chaos that could happen. Edmonton winning would be the happy good ending. Who wants that?

If they don’t win, higher chance of Draisaitl not re-signing and leaving. Then McDavid could follow suit.

Then the trade packages for either of them would set the hockey world on fire. (Maybe MTL can get McDavid for one of Barron/Harris + Mesar + WPG 1st)

Or even funnier, one/both of them walking for free.

Can you imagine the drama ? I can.

View attachment 879362

my kinda poster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad