GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 5 vs Venezuela in the QF

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Yup, and a wonderful handball non-call to taint the game. Should have gone to penalties at the least

I was wanting Spain to win if Germany didn't, not so much now. Hope they go out on a controversy, even if it means that England wins it all
Biased commentators: "no way that was a handball, he's just drawing hand to side" thats their einstein one sided take on a clear hand ball in the box and clear movement of hand to purposely stop ball. Possibly saving a goal.

Amazing for that not to be called a handball. Its textbook handball, not glancing, he full palms it like this is volleyball. ffs.

Coocoohairella even expected that to be a penalty. You could see from his reaction throughout.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Biased commentators: "no way that was a handball, he's just drawing hand to side" thats their einstein one sided take on a clear hand ball in the box and clear movement of hand to purposely stop ball. Possibly saving a goal.

Amazing for that not to be called a handball. It’s textbook handball, not glancing, he full palms it like this is volleyball. ffs.
I couldn’t believe that commentary. Buddy stopped the shot (a dangerous shot) blatantly with his hand. If that’s not a handball then handballs don’t exist.

Soccer has to be the most corrupt shit out there though.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Germany would've been missing Rudiger and a couple other players. One way or another this official was sinking Germany. Still brilliant play from Wirtz, Kroos, Havertz today. Touches barely failing them including Fullkrug. Splendid game from Germany. Rare to play so well and generate so much in loss.

Fullkrug goal post, another barely wide, Havertz skipping ball over uprights on wide open chance. Wirtz spills an easier chance than the one he scored on. So many German chances today. Thought Germany had more scoring chances and dangerous chances.

Nacho is the cheese of the day. What a f***ing joke of a player. Should be red carded for that dive.

Yeah, lots of neutral fans chiming in saying Taylor (ref) f***ed the match all over the place. I would agree

I like Havertz but he was frustrating today. Just don't think he has it to be expected to be the striker like he has been. Good player otherwise. Wirtz should be a player, young still, 23 for the World Cup and 25 next Euros so entering his prime. I think he'll take the spot. Fullkrug will be aging out soon and Havertz...I'm sure he'll keep playing but won't be getting any better. Musiala was not as great as usual today but also young. Honestly I'm more concerned about their midfield with Kroos out (again) after this tournament. Difficult (impossible) to replace. And they will need to go with a different keeper as Neuer will be done as well. Transition period (again) for Germany, but with some youth on the horizon

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
I couldn’t believe that commentary. Buddy stopped the shot (a dangerous shot) blatantly with his hand. If that’s not a handball then handballs don’t exist.

Whatever broadcast crew they've had I suspect is an English crew hating on Germany. Been like this the whole tournament. I think in the Scotland game even they were finding flaws with German game. Couldn't believe what I was hearing or seeing. Full hand block of a shot, hand moving to block shot in direction of ball, in box, no penalty awarded.

If that play is reversed Germany get called on that all day.

Amazed as well so little extra time granted. Startling really with Spain rolling around on the pitch half the day, constant goalie delaying, taking 5mins to get back to playing after scoring the winner. Ridiculous.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Watch Taylor somehow officiate England in the finals and get their win off a poorly officiated match.

This kind of tournament (with the 'true final' in the quarters...a joke like Drive said) screams underwhelming team goes all the way, which sounds a lot like England to me. I guess the good news would be Southgate is kept on for the more important tourney (World Cup) for him to bungle. I actually wouldn't mind seeing Kane and Pickford win, but don't really care for the rest of that side. That said, England (Leafs / Cowboys fans of international soccer) winning on German soil would be nauseating for pretty much everyone but England fans, so I don't think so

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Yeah, lots of neutral fans chiming in saying Taylor (ref) f***ed the match all over the place. I would agree

I like Havertz but he was frustrating today. Just don't think he has it to be expected to be the striker like he has been. Good player otherwise. Wirtz should be a player, young still, 23 for the World Cup and 25 next Euros so entering his prime. I think he'll take the spot. Fullkrug will be aging out soon and Havertz...I'm sure he'll keep playing but won't be getting any better. Musiala was not as great as usual today but also young. Honestly I'm more concerned about their midfield with Kroos out (again) after this tournament. Difficult (impossible) to replace. And they will need to go with a different keeper as Neuer will be done as well. Transition period (again) for Germany, but with some youth on the horizon
I've been down on Havertz in this tournament but he had it going on today. Shame he didn't finish but his setups and build up and runs were good.
Mussiala, yeah didn't get much done but this is the type of player Spain defend well, guys that try to walk the ball into the box. Germany were more dangerous on moving ball. Mussiala too locked in on trying to beat multiple defenders. He wasn't moving ball well.

Amazing really for Germany to find so much to exploit when other sides have trouble scoring against Spain.

This is the list of should've been in back of net:

WirtzX2
FullkrugX2
Havertz

Even Muller got in on the action with a possible shot that could have found net.

All I was hearing on the broadcast was how "Germany hadn't found much" really the commentary and officiating were ruining the game.

Not sure what it is but whenever I watch Gundagon is shit. He was again today passing balls anywhere. Glad to see Sane subbed off so quickly as well. Shouldn't even be on the squad.

What a match from Wirtz though. Too bad he didn't finish 2nd one.

Spain deserved to lose on basis of chances they gave up. As well as the handball.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I've been down on Havertz in this tournament but he had it going on today. Shame he didn't finish but his setups and build up and runs were good.

Amazing really for Germany to find so much to exploit when other sides have trouble scoring against Spain.

This is the list of should've been in back of net:

WirtzX2
FullkrugX2
Havertz

Even Muller got in on the action with a possible shot that could have found net.

All I was hearing on the broadcast was how "Germany hadn't found much" really the commentary and officiating were ruining the game.

Not sure what it is but whenever I watch Gundagon is shit. He was again today passing balls anywhere. Glad to see Sane subbed off so quickly as well. Shouldn't even be on the squad.

What a match from Wirtz though. Too bad he didn't finish 2nd one.

Spain deserved to lose on basis of chances they gave up. As well as the handball.

Wirtz is definitely going to be a player. Had his coming out with Leverkusen and was underutilized this tournament. I think they would be benefited by having Havertz take the Muller role as the wily vet next Euros (maybe not by the WC) and have Wirtz up to start.

Andrich might be okay in taking the reigns from Kroos but hard to say. They need another talent like him but I think the system could fill gaps in midfield. Too bad Sabitzer was born a little too far to the southeast...haha. (Side note, I would have liked to see them advance v Turkey, while I don't mind Turkey, Austria was the more interesting dark horse this tourney)

I don't mind Nagelsmann, Flick was a nothingburger with the MNT and late-stage Low was a disaster, so an upgrade there, but he needs to have the balls to start the better players. Hopefully a lesson learned for the WC.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Whatever broadcast crew they've had I suspect is an English crew hating on Germany. Been like this the whole tournament. I think in the Scotland game even they were finding flaws with German game. Couldn't believe what I was hearing or seeing. Full hand block of a shot, hand moving to block shot in direction of ball, in box, no penalty awarded.

If that play is reversed Germany get called on that all day.

Amazed as well so little extra time granted. Startling really with Spain rolling around on the pitch half the day, constant goalie delaying, taking 5mins to get back to playing after scoring the winner. Ridiculous.
I was amused when the Spanish player lost his shoe with less than a minute of extra time remaining in the game. I wished it would have happened much earlier just so we could have seen how long it would have taken him to put it back on.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Wirtz is definitely going to be a player. Had his coming out with Leverkusen and was underutilized this tournament. I think they would be benefited by having Havertz take the Muller role as the wily vet next Euros (maybe not by the WC) and have Wirtz up to start.

Andrich might be okay in taking the reigns from Kroos but hard to say. They need another talent like him but I think the system could fill gaps in midfield. Too bad Sabitzer was born a little too far to the southeast...haha. (Side note, I would have liked to see them advance v Turkey, while I don't mind Turkey, Austria was the more interesting dark horse this tourney)

I don't mind Nagelsmann, Flick was a nothingburger with the MNT and late-stage Low was a disaster, so an upgrade there, but he needs to have the balls to start the better players. Hopefully a lesson learned for the WC.
In this particular match I think subbing Wirtz in was the right play as the probability of this being an extra time game. Worked out pretty well and he had pace his whole time. Was just brilliant and gave everything.

Of course nobody replacing Kroos. Not sure about Andrich. We'll see.

So many good German players you never know really who could be in next tournaments. I'm not wily enough to make much comment on the coaching in Football. Agreed with your assessment though on the coaches.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I will be forever sour at soccer officials after Argentina got blatant favouritism the entire World Cup.

Anyways couldn’t really ask for a better final 8. Been absolutely bonkers this year. Hoping France gets taken out today. That team is stacked.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
When football is over for these Spanish players, most of them can cross over and play for the Florida Panthers and fit right in. I’ve never seen any team more committed to diving, flopping and pretending they’re dying than these clowns. What an embarrassing display.
Welcome to soccer

no one flops worse than teams from South America...it's embarrassing

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
When football is over for these Spanish players, most of them can cross over and play for the Florida Panthers and fit right in. I’ve never seen any team more committed to diving, flopping and pretending they’re dying than these clowns. What an embarrassing display.
lol the Spanish guy flopping around on the ground like he just had a 5.56 bounce around his insides was embarrassing. Only to have him stand up 5 seconds later after there was no call.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
It'll be funny to see France try to park a draw to penalties vs Spain. Though, that was likely Portugal's plan as well. Some truly awful football from those two this tournament (at least Portugal scored some goals in other games...but still). Spain should make paella out of France

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Shaffelburg quite good in this one. All around the ball and making plays. Arguably best Canadian player now. On the other hand Alphonso Davies very quiet and Johnathon David hopeless on a one on one situation with goalie, with time, All he has to do there is walk the ball around the goalie. Idiot. That should be a goal 9/10. He had time to just sidestep goalie. Acres of space, nobody around.

Should be 2-0 Canada.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
f***ing idiotic

However, Venezuela getting away with murder since Canada went up 1-0. Rigged as f***

Not that CONMEBOL gives a f*** about growing the game...but this is not how you grow the game. People that complain about reffing in hockey need to understand, it could still be a million times worse

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
f***ing idiotic

However, Venezuela getting away with murder since Canada went up 1-0. Rigged as f***

Not that CONMEBOL gives a f*** about growing the game...but this is not how you grow the game. People that complain about reffing in hockey need to understand, it could still be a million times worse
This is also what happens when you waste a thousand chances. David one on one, Layrea dribbling the ball into nothing, etc.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Just before Venezuela tied it up I was going to post that it feels like I’ve been transported back in time to the 90’s and I’m watching Canada play a game with CONCACAF referees where they’ve got no chance to win no matter how much of the better team they are. Then they give up a goal like that and I realize it probably doesn’t matter anyway.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
This is also what happens when you waste a thousand chances. David one on one, Layrea dribbling the ball into nothing, etc.

Yeah, this Canada squad is too fidgety around the net. They have a lot more talent than "score two goals at Copa"

They're lucky Shaffelburg came out of 'relatively' nowhere. Davies, David, Larin et all a bunch of nothingburgers this tournament

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad