GDT: Canadian Soccer | Canada at the Copa America - July 5 vs Venezuela in the QF

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
In addition to the WC news, Canada plays Curaçao tonight in Nations League play.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Edmonton had a good spotlight for mens and womens soccer. I think it's just a matter of Time before Edmonton becomes a World cup host city. If happens to be in a couple decades, Edmonton will be even more ready for it.

No experience living in Toronto but showing off Vancouver, is a good choice. The "Celebration of Lights" fireworks on coast that they have for festivals from different countries. Top class. I don't know if it's the same now, but China had the most impressive firework show. That was good.

Mostly warm weather year round, just let everyone know to bring Umbrellas.

I hope the CPL keeps growing. I'm starting to learn more about FC Edmonton "The Eddies".
I'm starting to get pumped knowing Edmonton has their own Premier Football Club.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Edmonton had a good spotlight for mens and womens soccer. I think it's just a matter of Time before Edmonton becomes a World cup host city. If happens to be in a couple decades, Edmonton will be even more ready for it.

No experience living in Toronto but showing off Vancouver, is a good choice. The "Celebration of Lights" fireworks on coast that they have for festivals from different countries. Top class. I don't know if it's the same now, but China had the most impressive firework show. That was good.

Mostly warm weather year round, just let everyone know to bring Umbrellas.

I hope the CPL keeps growing. I'm starting to learn more about FC Edmonton "The Eddies".
I'm starting to get pumped knowing Edmonton has their own Premier Football Club.
Clearly you haven't watched them. They're the worst team in the nation, any league, that charge people to see them play. They;re last place by miles and never make the playoffs. Mostly you'll see a club that can barely pass the ball, rarely score, and you'll go to some games and the first time you see a real game on TV, involving any good football, it'll make it hard to watch the Eddies product. I used to support them all I could. The team is so bad they push you away.

FC Edmonton don't deserve support either. Deplorable org. Calling out its own few fans.

Last edited:

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Clearly you haven't watched them. They're the worst team in the nation, any league, that charge people to see them play. They;re last place by miles and never make the playoffs. Mostly you'll see a club that can barely pass the ball, rarely score, and you'll go to some games and the first time you see a real game on TV, involving any good football, it'll make it hard to watch the Eddies product. I used to support them all I could. The team is so bad they push you away.

FC Edmonton don't deserve support either. Deplorable org. Calling out its own few fans.

I haven't seen anything cause I only recently started to pay attention to football.
Hmm sounds a bit mismanaged. Do they have the right people in place in all facets of the organization?
Maybe a deep dive will help, the same action the Oilers did when Holland first became GM. A thorough examination of all roles, and what needs to be upgraded.
Also do they have the budget to attract the right people aswell?
Sounds like they need some development coaches. The real deals.
And probably a PR manager.
Little sad to hear they are struggling mightily.
Probably need to focus on the product on the pitch before calling out fans. Should be too busy making the product presentable without bickering.

Thanks for clearing up the situation. As new interested fan, I hope they can become watchable in the next couple years. CPL is apparently growing quickly, so might be easier to attract talent to make the team better aswell.

Now getting into the CFL and CPL.
We have two teams in the building stages. Knowing they are kinda down right now, hopefully more fans will follow and help them pick themselves up.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
I haven't seen anything cause I only recently started to pay attention to football.
Hmm sounds a bit mismanaged. Do they have the right people in place in all facets of the organization?
Maybe a deep dive will help, the same action the Oilers did when Holland first became GM. A thorough examination of all roles, and what needs to be upgraded.
Also do they have the budget to attract the right people aswell?
Sounds like they need some development coaches. The real deals.
And probably a PR manager.
Little sad to hear they are struggling mightily.
Probably need to focus on the product on the pitch before calling out fans. Should be too busy making the product presentable without bickering.

Thanks for clearing up the situation. As new interested fan, I hope they can become watchable in the next couple years. CPL is apparently growing quickly, so might be easier to attract talent to make the team better aswell.

Now getting into the CFL and CPL.
We have two teams in the building stages. Knowing they are kinda down right now, hopefully more fans will follow and help them pick themselves up.
They did a good job with the FATH group as owners initially maybe. They used to play at Foote field, jmo, a more enjoyable facility, and they had lots of game promotions and they had visiting clubs from South America playing the team in friendlies which was interesting and quality football.

Clarke Park on the other hand the field is ground level (At Foote its sunken) and any time the wind blows hard at Clarke its like being sandwashed with gravel from a sea of parking lots, really unpleasant. Last game we went to was 60k winds, they couldn't keep the ball in the pitch and it was intermittent snow sleet and rain. Just miserable weather. One whole season all the home games had storms. Same bad luck with weather the Eskimos had for years. I started following at the start of the club. heh, I go way back to the Edmonton Drillers who used to play in the for real NASL with such stars as Pele playing for the NY Cosmos. Longtime football fan. Former player, but not good..

Its sad to see people on twitter justifying Edmonton not getting World Cup games on the basis of lack of support of FC Edmonton. Its hard to support that club. I gave it my allegiance for a decade and gave up. The quality on the pitch was not at all compelling. Conversely Edmonton has always supported the National sides as well as any other major city in Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: MettleMcOiler

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
Rant incoming:

As for the WC news I'm really pissed off if it's true. Edmonton was in it from day 1 and support never wavered. Vancouver said no and then was able to come back into the mix (likely because FIFA only cares about $ these days and the elites would rather tour Vancouver instead of Edmonton)

It's a f***ing sham and a disgrace. The WC is only about cash now. I won tickets to Qatar for 2022 and will likely give them up because the logistics are complete ass. That country can't host a world cup and host 400k+ tourists at once through 1 airport. Not enough hotel rooms, apartments etc. Again, it's for rich people now. Like REALLY rich. I make an above average income and struggle to justify going to this shitshow. If it was in Australia or something as an example ok you can make a vacation out of it and tour around etc.

I could go on and on but it's just super frustrating across the board.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
They did a good job with the FATH group as owners initially maybe. They used to play at Foote field, jmo, a more enjoyable facility, and they had lots of game promotions and they had visiting clubs from South America playing the team in friendlies which was interesting and quality football.

Clarke Park on the other hand the field is ground level (At Foote its sunken) and any time the wind blows hard at Clarke its like being sandwashed with gravel from a sea of parking lots, really unpleasant. Last game we went to was 60k winds, they couldn't keep the ball in the pitch and it was intermittent snow sleet and rain. Just miserable weather. One whole season all the home games had storms. Same bad luck with weather the Eskimos had for years. I started following at the start of the club. heh, I go way back to the Edmonton Drillers who used to play in the for real NASL with such stars as Pele playing for the NY Cosmos. Longtime football fan. Former player, but not good..

Its sad to see people on twitter justifying Edmonton not getting World Cup games on the basis of lack of support of FC Edmonton. Its hard to support that club. I gave it my allegiance for a decade and gave up. The quality on the pitch was not at all compelling. Conversely Edmonton has always supported the National sides as well as any other major city in Canada.

Sounds like they need a proper football stadium. Obviously, I don't expect they have budget for a real football stadium.
But it might good for the city to invest in a proper football stadium with proper practice facilities.
I'm thinking 5-8000 fans not in tens of thousands.
Make sure it has a walls and roof. I think more fans will come if they are comfortable.
Obviously you need money for it to happen, not sure where you will get it.

But give them at least a stadium with roof and walls. If they start winning championships in the future, then we can probably start talk upgrades.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sounds like they need a proper football stadium. Obviously, I don't expect they have budget for a real football stadium.
But it might good for the city to invest in a proper football stadium with proper practice facilities.
I'm thinking 5-8000 fans not in tens of thousands.
Make sure it has a walls and roof. I think more fans will come if they are comfortable.
Obviously you need money for it to happen, not sure where you will get it.

But give them at least a stadium with roof and walls. If they start winning championships in the future, then we can probably start talk upgrades.
This isn't happening for a long time now. Even if upgrades are needed to Commonwealth, no way the City can justify paying for upgrades out of it's own pocket right now.

City council doesn't know how to operate without photo radar money.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Any solutions then?
Nope.

I just know that if the city tries to invest any money into sports anytime soon we are going to have another one of those daily rallies, this time outside of city hall.

Only way it will happen is if an owner steps up and pays and I don't see that happening anytime soon. The Fath group lost a shit ton of money over the years and they were probably our best hope of an owner. Finding another owner as dedicated as them is going to be tough. And one that would put up money for a new stadium seems unrealistic.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Nope.

I just know that if the city tries to invest any money into sports anytime soon we are going to have another one of those daily rallies, this time outside of city hall.

Only way it will happen is if an owner steps up and pays and I don't see that happening anytime soon. The Fath group lost a shit ton of money over the years and they were probably our best hope of an owner. Finding another owner as dedicated as them is going to be tough. And one that would put up money for a new stadium seems unrealistic.
Yeah, I kind of understand after doing a quick search.

Soccer Stadiums - Costs & Funding (With Examples)

A new state of art 61000 seat stadium is upwards to $250 mill to 1.5 billion dollars to make

A smaller capacity stadium of 25000 comes up to $250 Million

But even at the smaller end of that, it would still be a world class facility.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
Yeah, I kind of understand after doing a quick search.

Soccer Stadiums - Costs & Funding (With Examples)

A new state of art 61000 seat stadium is upwards to $250 mill to 1.5 billion dollars to make

A smaller capacity stadium of 25000 comes up to $250 Million

But even at the smaller end of that, it would still be a world class facility.
Whats the point? Commonwealth is a world class facility and look what happened to our World Cup hosting bid.

i get real tired of this notion of World class facilities in Edmonton that are hardly used. Even cavernous Commonwealth through most of its time frame has years where there aren't even 20 main events. Its a turnkey facility that sits empty at least 90% of the time.

Reactions: Behind Enemy Lines

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Whats the point? Commonwealth is a world class facility and look what happened to our World Cup hosting bid.

i get real tired of this notion of World class facilities in Edmonton that are hardly used. Even cavernous Commonwealth through most of its time frame has years where there aren't even 20 main events. Its a turnkey facility that sits empty at least 90% of the time.

How much to put a Canopy over Commonwealth?

Edit: I think you would attract more people with a roof.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting
How much to put a Canopy over Commonwealth?

Edit: I think you would attract more people with a roof.
Been studied multiple times by several Civic admins and each time its cost prohibitive and the answer is no. Its never happening, and the design really isn't intended for a roof. Still, we could events there much of the year. Just that in present day not many stadium type draws really exist, whether it be sports or entertainment. The best we can do is get the odd international sporting tournaments in there. Overall they've done a half decent job trying to get events. But Covid decimated a lot as well.

MettleMcOiler

5-14-6-1
Mar 9, 2011
Edmonton
Been studied multiple times by several Civic admins and each time its cost prohibitive and the answer is no. Its never happening, and the design really isn't intended for a roof. Still, we could events there much of the year. Just that in present day not many stadium type draws really exist, whether it be sports or entertainment. The best we can do is get the odd international sporting tournaments in there. Overall they've done a half decent job trying to get events. But Covid decimated a lot as well.

So we can't make commonwealth into a convertable?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Like how much money has been invested?

You should be able to get a cost effective solution with todays technology.

Obviously investing more money for Architects, Technicians, Mechanics. Builders, Software Engineers etc etc. You will get a better result.

How much is available?

Like show the study in the newspaper. Let the city of Edmonton decide if it's worth investing.

Can't do anything if nobody knows about it.

Last edited:

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
So I heard Jason Kenney was demanding 5 of 10 Canada's games at Commonwealth in order to secure provincial funding for the World Cup. If that's the case, that almost certainly played a role in Edmonton not being picked to host.

It's not realistic to expect to host 5 of the 10 games in Canada, with two other cities hosting the remaining 5, and I'm sure he would have known this.

Pucklington

Expat in Germany.
Mar 24, 2008
Köln
So I heard Jason Kenney was demanding 5 of 10 Canada's games at Commonwealth in order to secure provincial funding for the World Cup. If that's the case, that almost certainly played a role in Edmonton not being picked to host.

It's not realistic to expect to host 5 of the 10 games in Canada, with two other cities hosting the remaining 5, and I'm sure he would have known this.

Yep. The Provincial government screwed the bid up. They didn't really care about Edm being successful and it was not a priority.

I know firsthand this was not a priority for the government. A close friend worked on the bid from the AB government side. The level of ignorance the minister and elected officials from the AB government was astounding, with some asking what the WC was and if it was comparable to the NHL. They literally thought this was like a Grey Cup...

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Probably didn’t help but Sohi said he didn’t think that factored into the decision, said he “didn’t think it was a roadblock”. He’d be more plugged in to it than anyone in the provincial side who was just fronting some money.

I’m sure it had more to do with Edmonton being off the table as soon as the “sexier” Vancouver put themselves back in the race. It’ll be interesting to see how much the city makes off the estimated $300M (likely low) they expect to put in to make it happen. If it’s like the Olympics, they might break even (lucky they did) and have the prestige associated with hosting some games likely between C level interest teams.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton

You might have a point in previous seasons, not this season though. The coach is good, he usually brings a competitive side. I have been pleasantly surprised. And I currently have about 10 “free tickets”, if anyone is interested in checking them out,

Yep. The Provincial government screwed the bid up. They didn't really care about Edm being successful and it was not a priority.

I know firsthand this was not a priority for the government. A close friend worked on the bid from the AB government side. The level of ignorance the minister and elected officials from the AB government was astounding, with some asking what the WC was and if it was comparable to the NHL. They literally thought this was like a Grey Cup...
Why would they necessarily know? You can’t know everything, and timing is key.

The Moose

Mar 25, 2004
Edmonton
Probably didn’t help but Sohi said he didn’t think that factored into the decision, said he “didn’t think it was a roadblock”. He’d be more plugged in to it than anyone in the provincial side who was just fronting some money.

I’m sure it had more to do with Edmonton being off the table as soon as the “sexier” Vancouver put themselves back in the race. It’ll be interesting to see how much the city makes off the estimated $300M (likely low) they expect to put in to make it happen. If it’s like the Olympics, they might break even (lucky they did) and have the prestige associated with hosting some games likely between C level interest teams.

If indeed the 5 games was a demand from the provincial government, I am sure it played a huge role. Maybe they would have chosen Vancouver anyway, but that ridiculous demand made it easy for Fifa.

Reactions: Barrsy

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Cup hunting

Well why would this event occurring in Edmonton, and being a money loser, be a priority? If commitments were made the same people would be complaining about spending on largesse, not on needs, etc. This just in, Edmonton isn't a priority. It hasn't been for provincial govt for most of decades. Despite being the Capital. If this was a Calgary bid it possibly gets more support.

Edmonton makes its own bed a lot of the time.

You might have a point in previous seasons, not this season though. The coach is good, he usually brings a competitive side. I have been pleasantly surprised. And I currently have about 10 “free tickets”, if anyone is interested in checking them out,

Why would they necessarily know? You can’t know everything, and timing is key.
Last I checked the team was winless in like 10GP. I stopped even checking.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Shitty news about Edmonton's failed bid. Such a great legacy of support for decades and it gets jilted for the big moment. Unfortunate the Alberta government tried to strong-arm demands on FIFA which is a tactic that hasn't worked for them on anything. They had jumped at the opportunity to pay to host the pandemic Stanley Cup playoffs so it seems a missed opportunity to position Edmonton and Alberta on the global stage through World Cup.

I've tried to support the National Team with tickets for the Iran Game and then Panama only to have the Charlie Brown-eque football pulled away hours before the game's start time. Pretty poor handling all around to have commerce interrupt the momentum building to World Cup. I'm a very casual soccer guy but excited to see our team make it to the elite world championship. Hope to also take in the next World Cup in Vancouver. So too bad Edmonton isn't a host city.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
If indeed the 5 games was a demand from the provincial government, I am sure it played a huge role. Maybe they would have chosen Vancouver anyway, but that ridiculous demand made it easy for Fifa.

FIFA is so full of shit. Why can’t they just say “we will give Edmonton some games but we will decide how many and which ones”. Like they’re above negotiation, it’s just hilarious.

I don’t give one of the most corrupt sporting organizations in the world the benefit of the doubt.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
From Journal article:

Insiders tell me provincial leaders later made it clear to FIFA those conditions were not dealbreakers, then came through with sincere efforts up to the last day to assist Edmonton’s application.

Vancouver and Toronto are much nicer cities than Edmonton. Not surprising people blaming Kenney like they do for everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad