Can the Americans beat the Czechs and the Russians?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
The Russians could be the biggest test, but perhaps we will see the other pool is alot weaker than the Canada/USA pool.

What happens if Team USA loses in the quarters or semis, what will happen to the best team ever in WJC history? Would it go down as one of the biggest upsets ever?

Will Kessel be stopped? Can he outplay Malkin?

Last edited:

SChan*

The Czechs will be a cakewalk for US since this is probably the weakest czech team in a while. They have lost left and right.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
The US can definitely beat both, and would be favorites against the Czechs but as it stands now, Russia's gotta be favorite going into any medal round matches.

Their only lapses were in a meaningless exhibition game against Canada where they packed it up after it got out of hand, and a pretty close game against Latvia. Otherwise, they've beaten who they've needed to beat pretty convincingly.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Russia was the real class of the tournament coming in and no, the way the U.S. has played so far, they wouldn't stand a chance.

The same goes for Canada!

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
If Malkin decides he wants to win it then I don't think the Americans have an answer. Canada's forecheck might be enough to to beat the Russians. Maybe.

Malkin>>>Kessel

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
4 in 5

NightScout said:
Czechs... maybe, but I hope not...

Russia, definitely not...

Well, the USA will be in tough. That's why they had to win the Canada game because of their tie against the Swiss.

The US played on Friday against the Swiss, played Saturday against Canada, will play the Czechs on Monday, and if they beat the Czechs will play the Russians on Tuesday.

That's 4 games in 5 days. And most of they kids have never done this before. Kids in the CHL have played this kind of schedule before, but US college kids don't. They generally only play weekend games, no more than 3 per week tops.

So, it's going to be a challenge for the Americans. Can they do it? Yes, but it will be a challenge.

It will be interesting to see whether the Czechs and Russians will follow what the Fins started and that is to dump the puck in deep and forecheck and hit the US defense.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
A simple answer would be, yes the U.S. can beat both the Czechs and Russians, although it won't be easy. The Russians look very good, although they really haven't been tested much, especially physically. I think the most prominent factor could be fatigue. The U.S. team, especially the defense looks a bit worn to me. Hopefully they get some rest today and can have a fairly routine game against the Czechs.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
The US will most likely get passed the Czechs pretty easily. On the other hand, the Russians will be very hard. Under this format I can't think of any team that got to the gold medal game without the bye. The US will have to play back to back games and against a strong Russian team I can't see them winning.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
The Americans should be able to beat the Czech team, but they are in tough against the Russians.
I will say this: if the Americans can beat the Russians and the Canadians on back-to-back days, they deserve the goal medal.
But I don't think they can, frankly.

Siberian

Dec 4, 2003
Saint Pierre
Russia is a better team this year compared to last year's team. More experience, better depth at all positions, phenomenal Malkin and a very good coach. I am not so sure about team USA, it seems that all the hype about them did not have too much ground, I think they are about as good as last year's US team. If US ever plan to beat Russia in the semifinal they will have to turn it up a notch, otherwise they might be disappointed in the semifinal. I also think that Czechs are capable to beat this US team if they get good goaltending.

Macman

May 15, 2004
I know it was only an exhibition, but Canada exposed the Russian defence for what it is, pretty ordinary. If the U.S. forechecks like Canada did, the Russians will take penalties and it'll be over.

CSKA

May 5, 2003
Visit site
Macman said:
I know it was only an exhibition, but Canada exposed the Russian defence for what it is, pretty ordinary. If the U.S. forechecks like Canada did, the Russians will take penalties and it'll be over.

yeah and Russia destroyed the Swiss 5:0 ! it was only an exhibition :dunno:

orangeandblack

Nov 27, 2004
philadelphia
HabLover said:
The Russians could be the biggest test, but perhaps we will see the other pool is alot weaker than the Canada/USA pool.

What happens if Team USA loses in the quarters or semis, what will happen to the best team ever in WJC history? Would it go down as one of the biggest upsets ever?

Will Kessel be stopped? Can he outplay Malkin?

last years canadian team may have been the best in history, i think they'd steamroll right over this usa team. this usa team, if their on their game, should win this tournament though.

gib

Feb 3, 2004
Macman said:

USA wont be forechecking like Canada does. Canada is in their own league when talking about forechecking. Nobody can do it as good as Canada.

Russia has as usually very solid team in wjc and now they have also Malkin. Solid team + guy like Malkin = very hard to stop.

Man, I wish they would show Russia games here in Finland. It`s always pleasure to see Malkin doing his magic on the ice.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
gib said:
USA wont be forechecking like Canada does. Canada is in their own league when talking about forechecking. Nobody can do it as good as Canada.
Actually, I think the Americans have a terrific forechecking team.
Against Canada, they dropped into a passive 1-2-2 forecheck, because the Swiss had pretty good success using that against Canada.
I think if there is a rematch in the gold medal game, the US would be well advised to get after the Canadian defense with an aggressive 2 man forecheck deep.

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
HabLover said:
what will happen to the best team ever in WJC history?

They won gold last year.. This USA team isn't even close to being as good last year's Team Canada was. I really hope you were being sarcastic.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
shakes said:
They won gold last year.. This USA team isn't even close to being as good last year's Team Canada was. I really hope you were being sarcastic.
I'm pretty sure it was a shot at the US hype over this team and not a serious assessment of their abilities.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
orcatown said:
If Malkin decides he wants to win it then I don't think the Americans have an answer. Canada's forecheck might be enough to to beat the Russians. Maybe.

Malkin>>>Kessel

After reading this, it tells me two things.

1.You've never seen Malkin play.

2.You forgot what makes Kessel the overall favorite to go #1 in 06.

I've seen many of the Metallurg Magnitogorsk games this season and can tel you Malkin is no Ovechkin. Not by a longshot. He is a good skating center with good instincts, the beneficiary of an all star team this season, and has flubbed on more one timers and breakaways than he's scored on.

Kessel is the real deal.

End of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad