Can someone please explain again why Winnipeg didn't win?

Vukotal Recall

Jan 30, 2010
Now that they are gonna (sorta) blow it up, can someone please tell me? They have had PREMIUM centres - and on sweetheart deals. One of the top 3 goalies in the game. What was a mighty and deep d-corps before it got obliterated, mostly due to extenuating circumstances. Superb winger depth, including top draft picks. Great gritty third-liners who could also chip in. Why the f didn't they win? If not the cup, at least more rounds year after year? And don't (just) say Maurice, because he made it to the Finals this year...

Reactions: banks

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Their defense was never good, even dating back to the Byfuglien days. Any success they had was because of forward depth and a goalie that regularly saved more goals than expected. Said forward depth unfortunately also largely ended up being dysfunctional and has aged/diminished over time.

Also shitty coaching.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
They have had PREMIUM centres - and on sweetheart deals.

538.jpg

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
The Winnipeg Jets, like any other NHL team, have faced various factors and circumstances that have contributed to their inability to win a Stanley Cup. It's important to note that winning the Cup is a highly challenging achievement that requires a combination of factors to align perfectly for a team.
There are several reasons why the Winnipeg Jets haven't won a Stanley Cup to date:
  1. Competitive Nature of the NHL: The NHL is one of the most competitive professional sports leagues in the world, and winning the Cup requires consistently strong performances throughout the regular season and playoffs. The Jets have faced tough competition from other talented teams, making it difficult to secure the championship.
  2. Team Development and Building: The Jets returned to Winnipeg in 2011 after the franchise relocated from Atlanta. Building a successful team takes time, patience, and a well-executed plan. It often involves acquiring and developing talented players, establishing team chemistry, and making strategic coaching and management decisions. The Jets have been working on building a competitive team since their return.
  3. Playoff Performance: The playoffs are a different environment where anything can happen. While the Jets have made the playoffs multiple times since their return, their performance in the postseason has been inconsistent. Success in the playoffs requires a combination of skill, health, luck, and timely performances.
  4. Injuries and Roster Challenges: Injuries can significantly impact a team's chances of winning the Cup. The Jets, like any team, have had to deal with injuries to key players at crucial times, which can disrupt team chemistry and performance. Additionally, managing the team's roster, salary cap constraints, and player contracts can present challenges in maintaining a competitive team over the long term.
  5. Depth and Defensive Issues: Winning the Stanley Cup often requires a deep roster with a balance of offensive firepower, solid defense, and reliable goaltending. The Jets have occasionally faced challenges in terms of defensive depth and goaltending consistency, which can impact their chances of going all the way.
It's important to remember that winning the Stanley Cup is a challenging and elusive feat that even many successful franchises have not achieved. While the Winnipeg Jets have yet to win a Cup, their organization continues to work towards building a competitive team that can contend for hockey's ultimate prize.

WpgSteve

Nov 5, 2018
The Jets best chance was 2017/2018. They had good depth, strong defense and a bunch of great players on ELCs. They didn't win that year because Helle choked against VGK and let in a bunch of back breaking goals at the worst possible times.

The Jets started to get into cap trouble in 2018/2019 and lost some depth. They were still elite though. Unfortunately the whole team choked and underperformed under heightened expectations. The room started to fall apart as the players got frustrated.

The defence was decimated over the 2019 off-season with our entire right side leaving. The Jets didn't have the cap to fix it and Chevy didn't want to trade a star forward for some reason. Our right side went from Trouba-Byfuglien-Myers to Pionk-DeMelo-Poolman if memory serves. You can't win anything with that kind of defense.

The Jets languished with no defence, no depth and increasing locker room dysfunction for a few seasons. Eventually Chevy traded for Schmidt and Dillon. The move was widely cheered by Jets fans despite the fact that neither of those guys are especially good. They also traded for PLD. This should have boosted the team considerably. Unfortunately Dubois was upset he hadn't been traded to Montreal and never played up his billing. Eventually Maurice had enough and quit leading to a total collapse.

Jets ran it back this year for one last hurrah under Bowness. Despite all the negativity, I thought they played VGK pretty hard in the playoffs. They had no chance when Helle was outgoalied by a career back up and lost Scheifele, Morrisey and Ehlers to injury. Most of the remaining players decided it was hopeless in game 5 (I don't blame them, I had given up too) and preferred to play to avoid injury above all else. This led to Bowness throwing a temper tantrum in the media marking the unofficial end of this core and the start of a rebuild.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Now that they are gonna (sorta) blow it up, can someone please tell me? They have had PREMIUM centres - and on sweetheart deals. One of the top 3 goalies in the game. What was a mighty and deep d-corps before it got obliterated, mostly due to extenuating circumstances. Superb winger depth, including top draft picks. Great gritty third-liners who could also chip in. Why the f didn't they win? If not the cup, at least more rounds year after year? And don't (just) say Maurice, because he made it to the Finals this year...
Maurice only made the finals because his goalie caught fire.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
They've been less than the sum of their parts.

Scheifele and to an extent Connor are not good two-way players. They often get outscored. Your top liners are supposed to outscore opponents. There is also a disfunction in the leadership of the team where the putative leaders don't step up or play two-way when it matters. You saw Scheifele pushed to wing in the final weeks of the season, and that seemed to help the two-way play, but meant they didn't have enough centers that could score. Just Dubois and he disappears regularly.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Simply put, they were never that good. A WCF was them overachieving.

Scheifele and Wheeler were horrible leaders. They never really had great depth behind their one dimensional top 4ish forwards. Any defence group where Byfuglien is a #1 is in trouble. And they had an extremely below average GM that never wanted to make any all in moves

Reactions: Just Linda

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Chevy didn't push them over the top, Maurice isn't a great coach, their best players aren't buy-in type guys (Scheifele, Wheeler aren't defensively oriented), their D wasn't as great as you're insinuating, etc.

And even if all of the things I'm saying you want to say are "wrong," it is really hard to win. Like the amount of luck, timing, and good work that goes into winning one is crazy. And think about teams that might not have been as deserving in your mind as say Winnipeg. I'm a Red Wings fan and I think that between ~1995-2010 they should have had more deep runs, more finals appearances, more Cup victories in that window. I don't think it makes a ton of sense that Carolina won in 2006 and Detroit didn't for example. It still makes almost no sense to me that Detroit lost to Edmonton in the first round that year. But it happens nearly every season. Florida beating Boston, for example.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Their individual players were almost all overrated (aside from Hellebuyck) and they had a toxic leadership group that cared about individual accomplishments more than winning.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Their Dcore was subpar for most of the time, and they got unlucky in 2018 when they finally had a good complete cup contender.

Turin

Erik Karlsson is good
Feb 27, 2018
They were great for one year, 2018. And they blew it by riding their goalie into the dirt. Their defense fell apart after that season.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
That 17/18 team I really thought would do it.

3 lines anchored with

Scheifle, wheeler, stastny, Connor, Ehlers, little, laine just a ridiculous top 9. Trouba, Buff, Myers down the right side and hele in net. Unreal team. That miracle Vegas team couldn’t be tamed.

Reactions: Vukotal Recall

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
I thought that collection of wingers was insane

I believe that was 2019 they were all together
Connor, Laine, and Ehlers

that young trio
i thought nobody could touch that winger talent

I also remember that magazine that guaranteed the winnipeg core would be specific year stanley cup champions

Last edited:
Reactions: Vukotal Recall

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
They didnt win because they were never as good as you’re making them out to be. Their defense was more name-brand value than actual impact, and most of their forwards couldnt find their way to the dzone with a map. Their goalie covered for a lot of their warts.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
A number of factors really. The biggest one is the window was too short. It was really a three year window that morphed into a two year window when Buff up and quit and Little suffered a career ending injury in 19-20.

Look at most cup winners, it usually takes years of having an elite contending team to push through and finally win. Tampa had a number of near misses and some early exits before pushing through. Took Washington forever to get over the hump and win. Colorado had some disappointing results before winning it all last year. It took until year 6 for Vegas to win after going to a cup finals in year one.

Winnipeg had the great result and then a disappointing follow up year. That isn't all that uncommon for contending rosters. After that though our dcore got decimated and we lost our two C. So the team fell back to bubble team level and that is where we have been since.

Hopefully the next time the org is able to build a contending team it gives itself much more runway to truly compete.

Reactions: Huffer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad