Can someone answer me this - Why does Bergevin still have a job?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018
Why does he still have a job?

Well, a year ago his team tops in their division. But the instant gratification crowd seems to have forgot that.

And I don't know, a year ago the playoff bound (and 5th over all) Vegas Knights didn't exist, the #2 ranked team in the league missed the playoffs. New Jersey had the #1 pick in the draft in the summer, but jumped to 15th over all this year.

So maybe he still has a job because adults don't panic and make decisions based on emotion and ignorance. My opinion though, he found a sucker to take a pylon with a $9mil a year deal and a NTC about to kick in off their hands, and got a far superior player, teammate and person in return

PKWeber

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal
Well, a year ago his team tops in their division. But the instant gratification crowd seems to have forgot that.

And I don't know, a year ago the playoff bound (and 5th over all) Vegas Knights didn't exist, the #2 ranked team in the league missed the playoffs. New Jersey had the #1 pick in the draft in the summer, but jumped to 15th over all this year.

So maybe he still has a job because adults don't panic and make decisions based on emotion and ignorance. My opinion though, he found a sucker to take a pylon with a $9mil a year deal and a NTC about to kick in off their hands, and got a far superior player, teammate and person in return

Bergevin got bent over in the PK trade. Nashville didn’t miss a beat after they traded their leader and captain for Subban. They made it to the finals with PK as their best d-man, something Weber will never do. He probably will never make it out the second round while PK has done that 3 times already lol, terrible trade for Montreal.

mikeg

Feb 28, 2004
He is signed until 2021-22 at about 2.5Mil/year.

He was extended in 2015 after they had a good playoff run, Molson for whatever reason panicked and extended him when he still had (IIRC) 2 years left on his first contract.

This whole mess is really on Molson. He is in over his head, thinks he knows more than he does see his Journal De Montreal interview from today for a better idea. He basically says he doesn't believe we need a president because Marc tells him what we should do and he (Molson) gives him (Bergy) his feedback.

Molson has bought into whatever charlatan BS Bergevin has sold him on. Bergevin's plan as far as anyone can tell is the following:

1) Tell everyone his team has a bad attitude
2) Get the 1st overal pick to draft Dahlin to fix his partner for Weber problem
3) Sign Tavares
4) Profit

It's the same pile of turds year in and year out with this group and Molson just laps it up like a fanboy.

There is really no justification for anyone keeping their job other than money. Apparently Molson is ok with us being a bottom dweller in spending if it means he does not have to eat Bergy and eventually Julien's salary.

Last edited:

Mike Lowry

Feb 23, 2018
Bergevin got bent over in the PK trade. Nashville didn’t miss a beat after they traded their leader and captain for Subban.

They finished in 16th place last year. Subban was supposed to replace Weber on the top pairing with Jossi. Instead, Ryan Ellis took that spot.

They made it to the finals with PK as their best d-man

He was on the 2nd pairing with Ekhom.

something Weber will never do.

Well, Montreal nver made it there with Subban either.

He probably will never make it out the second round while PK has done that 3 times already lol, terrible trade for Montreal.

How many Cups for Subban? What about Gold Medals? World Cups? Respect from his teammates? Respect from his opponents? None.

OK, keep telling yourself it was a bad trade for Montreal. They sure would be better with a $9million a year dressing room cancer with a NTC.

You guys were awful quiet 52 weeks ago when Montreal won their division and Nashville barely snuck into the playoffs

Robinson2187

Registered Schmoozer
Nov 22, 2015
Comox BC
Compromising photos of Molson? Who knows but I had to laugh at him blaming the team "attitude" for their season. What a clueless p***k.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
The NHL would fold if the habs left.
as a habs fan, I'd like to think this is true. it's not.

it would significantly affect revenues, but the league would be ok, or at least much better off than if they lost the leafs. But I don't really have to worry about a montreal-less NHL.

member 157595

In Molson's mind, it's probably a combination of an expensive buyout and lack of quality candidates willing to/qualified to go to Montreal.

Marc Bergevin is an absolutely terrible GM. He has taken a once competitive team with a bright future and buried them too deep to dig them back out without a series of massive miracles.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Heres my best guess.

1) he speaks French fluently.
2) Julien Brisbois hasn't been made available by Tampa. But soon will be.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
He's still GM because he has four years left on his contract.

This is likely the biggest reason why he hasn't been fired. I've seen his annual salary rumored anywhere from 2 million to an estimated 4 million per season. Having 4 more years left at a possible estimated 4 million per season is a huge chunk of change for Molson to eat.

Also all of MB's stooges would likely be fired as well so that would be very expensive for Molson even if the Habs do print money.

It's a clown show in Habsland with Molson and Bergevin running the show.

Bobby Orr's Knees

Dec 17, 2002
Where it hurts most
Visit site
The fact that this man, who's shown himself to be both incompetent and incredibly disrespectful (spreading nasty rumors about PK and refusing to meet in person with Markov) is simply amazing. When the rest of hockey fandom feel bad for the Habs fans, you know things are awful.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

smack66

Mar 5, 2008
ontario
He is going to beat Mike Milbury and Don Sweeney in the category of awful moves by a former mediocre defenseman.
ok, I will bite and let you go on your Fire Sweeney rant but how can you include the GM of the Bruins who has a great deal of young talent both in the NHL and AHL? Please don't say Barzal, that has been beaten to death and many GM's including Sweeney missed that one. Clearly you don't like him but putting him in the same category as Milbury and Bargainbin is a bit much in my opinion...

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
The reason is because in order to fire him Molson would also have to fire his entire team of cronies. The total cost of that could be several tens of million of dollars. This is the only reason he has a job still, and yes Molson shares the blame since he gave the bozo such a fat and undeserved extension.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Probably because they haven't found another Francophone GM candidate suitable enough to replace the one they currently have.

I'm pretty sure that's the biggest prerequisite.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Well pointless to discuss the Subban trade, it was political and not a hockey trade and it will just crap up this discussion.

Sergachev for Drouin, jury's still out but the idea was to add some offensive talent. We'll see how good Sergachev ends up being (as well as Drouin...) but the Habs still have young D talent that has had a chance to get NHL play this year and looks promising (Mete, Juulsen, Reilly) so it's still an area of some prospect depth.

Drafting has been OK the past 3-4 years but these guys are still prospects. There's 7 guys now from Montreal's 2013-2016 drafts who have played NHL games with the club this year. No one has emerged with all-star potential which would be pretty helpful but a lot of teams could use a young all-star player surprise from a late 1st or 2nd round pick. Every team needs to do well in the draft to prosper, Habs have a lot of picks this year and need to find talent but in the short term Bergevin can't really be judged on this draft because we won't know for 3-4 years how the 2018 draft is panning out, at which point he'd be gone anyway if the team is just treading water in the NHL basement.
The trade of Sergachev to me is less about how good Mikhail can be but more about how disappointing
Jon Drouin has been so far. But yeah the jury's still out.
Losing Radulov for a few $$$ was a Bergevin miscalculation especially considering you were willing to pay Price big money.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
You never know either, maybe if he'd had a decent 1C to start his tenure it would be different?

I think the guy was doing well up until this past off season where he made panic moves that I don't think the organization truly thought through.

Trading Subban instead of firing the mediocre coach wasn't the worst decision in the world if the team is going to be greater than any star. But he fired the coach anyway...

Trading away Sergachev for Drouin in a vacuum was not a terrible move. What was bad was dealing him in the Habs case, having no 1C...

Radulov 2 summers ago was a great move in a vacuum. But all it did was give a shot of adrenaline to a team for a season and they were back to where they were without him right after.

Bergevin or not the Habs need to commit to retooling and nailing each and every first rounder next couple years.
What you're saying makes sense. Bergevin per se did okay moves up until trading Subban.

On a side note, things that I never understood were:

- Never letting Galchenyuk play center for a full season. He always produced. We can debate all we want about his lack of defensive talent, but he should have been playing center from the moment he was drafted.

- Not adapting the team to the new age... Subban is / was the type of player this team needed to change its image. I'm sorry, but the Canadiens will never be as glorious as they were in the past. The serious, almighty air the team had back then was backed up with what they brought... Acting the same way nowadays when the team is mediocre at best makes no sense. Subban was laid back, always happy, always playing hard. That's what the team and fans need... a refreshing type of player. Win or lose, everyone is satisfied with what he brought.

- The drafting... always drafting gritty players when there were some more obvious picks at the time. I'm sure we all had at least 1 player that we would have rathered have drafted at the draft because we believed he'd play in the NHL. In my case, it was the Connor crisp pick instead of Pavel Buchnevich. Extreme luck on my part? Sure, but the reason why Crisp was drafted was because of his character and grit. It's terrible.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
What you're saying makes sense. Bergevin per se did okay moves up until trading Subban.

On a side note, things that I never understood were:

- Never letting Galchenyuk play center for a full season. He always produced. We can debate all we want about his lack of defensive talent, but he should have been playing center from the moment he was drafted.

- Not adapting the team to the new age... Subban is / was the type of player this team needed to change its image. I'm sorry, but the Canadiens will never be as glorious as they were in the past. The serious, almighty air the team had back then was backed up with what they brought... Acting the same way nowadays when the team is mediocre at best makes no sense. Subban was laid back, always happy, always playing hard. That's what the team and fans need... a refreshing type of player. Win or lose, everyone is satisfied with what he brought.

- The drafting... always drafting gritty players when there were some more obvious picks at the time. I'm sure we all had at least 1 player that we would have rathered have drafted at the draft because we believed he'd play in the NHL. In my case, it was the Connor crisp pick instead of Pavel Buchnevich. Extreme luck on my part? Sure, but the reason why Crisp was drafted was because of his character and grit. It's terrible.

Makes sense. You can win like Chicago, or you can win like LA. They tried for the LA route and it backfired because they had no elite center. If you're 7 or 8 wingers deep you can kind of make up for it. But Hans were more 3 or 4 real good wingers deep but that's not enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad