Can NHL games be found by their ordinal appearance?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca

As of today, June 17, 2024 statmuse.com says there have been 125,232 NHL games since, I presume, 1917.

Does anybody know if NHL games can be identified by their oridinal appearance: like, which was the 698th NHL game of all time, or the 17,353rd or 102,341st games?

I know that the NHL logs games this way per recent season. I also know that they have all of their games now, but I don't know if those games can be queried this way, on the NHL's database or another. Like, maybe there's some way of knowing when a major epsiode took place this way, like Orr's 'Flying Goal'. It would be much easier than a year-by-year-by-year manual analysis.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
At least on modernish nhl games, they publish official start and end times.

Prior to that, it’s probably handwritten on the game summary kept by the official scorer, although I don’t see it published by the league.

Related question - if you were to order games, would you count a game one it starts it once it ends?

PrimumHockeyist

Apr 7, 2018
hockey-stars.ca
At least on modernish nhl games, they publish official start and end times.
They also note by seasonal game number, the 386th game of the season and so on. I had learned that the NHL celebrated the league's 50,00th all-time game which they seemed to have scheduled as it involved Montreal and Toronto. in 2010. So, the NHL knows, but can the rest of us acess the same info.

Prior to that, it’s probably handwritten on the game summary kept by the official scorer, although I don’t see it published by the league.

Related question - if you were to order games, would you count a game one it starts it once it ends?
I'm a hard lean for counting when a game begins. It's tidier. I think that the NHL actually schedule start times a bit differently to make sure no games start at the exact time, or maybe that's some other league or my imagination.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
True - at least nowadays, the league sorts the games (roughly) in order of projected start time, noting that they do it at the start of the season, so time changes (like a game moving to primetime, or a game delayed via weather, or just random variance between when the games were expected to start and when they do start) need to be considered. But generally game 020001 will occur before game 020002.

Now if you go back far enough, say here:

The games are sorted (hover over Gamecenter and see the part after the query indicator) roughly based on some order of teams involved - for instance, for a long time, Boston games were first for some reason. There's a consistency but it doesnt' seem to be related to game start time.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad