Can Jack Hughes be New Jersey's first 100-point player?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jack Hughes - NJ's first 100 point player?

• Total voters

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
Question is simple - can Jack Hughes be New Jersey's first 100-point player?

Patrik Elias - 96pts
Kirk Muller - 94pts
Zach Parise - 94pts
Taylor Hall - 93pts

Rough first season statistically for Jack though many expected him to struggle not only with his size but the entire 82-game schedule. As for his on-ice play his talent and vision was obvious even through his struggles and his skating is already all-world at 19.

What do you think?

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Should shoot for like 50 first.

But Hughes is an awesome skater with skill so I wouldn’t say no.

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I'm not saying that he will do it, and I'm sure I'll be outnumbered here with my vote, but there is a solid probability that he can do it so I voted yes.

League scoring is on the rise. 6 players scored 100 points last year and 9 were on pace to score 100 points this year. Hughes isn't perfect and he didn't have a good rookie year but he absolutely has the potential to be one of the top 6-9 scorers in the league, and that's before you consider that league scoring may continue to rise as he grows into his prime.

Last edited:

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
I need to see more before I can say yes. Not impossible but you'd have to be one of the top tier 1st overalls for me to say yes, and after his rookie season the needle didn't move up any.

Also since 2008, McDavid is the only 1st overall to crack 100 points. Mackinnon would have but injuries/covid kinda prevented that. I'm voting no.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Absolutely yes. His performance was not due to lack of skill or IQ but really just a boy's body in a man's league. Not really Jack's fault. He CAN do it. I'm just doubtful he will until he bulks up a lot

Reactions: MitchMurphy

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007
I think this is a silly question at this juncture and highly dependent on improvement from Hughes (obviously) AND having the supporting cast to get to 100 points.

Question is 3+ years premature. Devils don't have a single top 6 winger even signed out that far.....

Personally, no I don't think he ever gets there.

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
That's a big ask for anyone. Saying he won't likely hit 100 isn't a knock on Hughes, he could well turn into a fantastic player and never break the 100pt barrier that 1 maybe 2 players a year reach.

No I don't think Hughes will be a top 3 player in any of the seasons he plays.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Can he? Of course!

Will he? I wouldn't bet on it :dunno:

This is essentially my answer.

Of course there's a chance (however small) he can, but I'm not sure it's a good chance.

To reach 100+ points, the player has to be really special or be lucky enough to be in a perfect situation surrounded by other elite talent. Or both. I'm not sure Hughes is the former, and I'm not sure New Jersey's even close to having the latter.

Reactions: mynamejeff420

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think he's the type of talent who could hit it in a really good year if he pans out and league scoring continues as it is. I don't think he's good enough to say he likely will at this point.

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
how does he compare to Barzal? They have similar skillsets. Barzal isn't close to 100 points.
Jack is to a tee a McDavid-lite clone

Their skating is their biggest asset while their vision/playmaking are insane and their shot isnt great but they pick their spots so well. Jack is perfectly built skill wise for todays game - he can end up a better skater than Connor minus the top speed

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
You’re saying it as if it’s a bad thing... hasn’t that guy been smoking your rangers for the past 2 years?
Not a bad thing, Barzal is very good. I don't see him scoring 100 points though. Also he hasn't smoked us since his rookie year.

Is Hughes a better skater than Barzal? Does he have better hands? A better shot? Higher IQ etc.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Jack is to a tee a McDavid-lite clone

Their skating is their biggest asset while their vision/playmaking are insane and their shot isnt great but they pick their spots so well. Jack is perfectly built skill wise for todays game - he can end up a better skater than Connor minus the top speed
McDavid has 2-3 inches and nearly 30 pounds on Hughes which is one difference, its what helps McDavid be really good on the cycle on puck protection where as Hughes will have to adapt a more Barzal, Kane, Marner style of play which is more shiftiness and finding open ice than pushing off defenders deep in the offensive zone.

Also its definitely a misconception to say McDavid has a weak shot. Its actually really good. Over the past 3 years he is 5th in the NHL in goals. He is an elite goalscorer and hit shot is one of his weapons. Not as good as his playmaking/vision but still one of the best in the game.

It's really bold to claim Hughes will end up a better skater than McDavid who some consider the best skater to ever play in the NHL. What is your basis for thinking Hughes will be the better skater?

Overall I really don't think Hughes is that similar to McDavid, in fact I think the initial comparison to Barzal is pretty accurate. Barzal is much more focus on playmaking than goalscoring where as McDavid is at the top in both categories, the size is a big difference and the style of play is very different. McDavid plays more of a cycle game than a lot of skill guys. He's unbelievably good at coming out with the puck when he goes 1v1 into a corner or behind the net with a defenseman. He doesn't grind down and fight off defenders like Draisaitl or Crosby, but definitely more that style of play than Marner/Kane/Barzal which is who Hughes will likely emulate if/when he becomes a high level player.

Last edited:

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Patrick Kane's only done it twice and Hughes can't snipe like Kane.

Unless they get some serious firepower around him it's unlikely. But I think he's an 80-90 point guy in his prime!

Reactions: lawrence

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad