Camp Set

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
I'm pretty sure that if Vingan's got the numbers right, that means Arvidsson is now playing 2LW?

Forsberg - Riberio - Neal
Arvidsson - Fisher - Smith
Wilson - Hodgson - Jarnkrok
Nystrom - Gaustad - Bourque/Watson

So like, the 2nd & 3rd lines are gonna be mix 'n matched for a bit until a definitive click or injury settles the matter?

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
I'm pretty sure that if Vingan's got the numbers right, that means Arvidsson is now playing 2LW?

Forsberg - Riberio - Neal
Arvidsson - Fisher - Smith
Wilson - Hodgson - Jarnkrok
Nystrom - Gaustad - Bourque/Watson

So like, the 2nd & 3rd lines are gonna be mix 'n matched for a bit until a definitive click or injury settles the matter?

doesn't surprise me at all.. we're trying to make that third line decent and arvidsson for wilson on the left or jarnkrok for smith on the right will both be looked at to see if it clicks. and arvidsson's experience is as a LW.

TootooTrain

Sandpaper
Jun 12, 2010
I think the NHL as whole has moved to a top 9 mindset in the last few years. 4th line now would register as a 3rd line 10 years ago. Gotta be able to contribute.

On a separate note, I find it a bit odd Coho was given #11. I mean I know Legwand isn't ever going to be a HOFer or anything like that, but I thought there would be a chance his number would be raised to the rafters at some point being the longest tenured Pred. I guess his production might counter that thought process but if anyone was going to be given that honour, it would be him.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I think the NHL as whole has moved to a top 9 mindset in the last few years. 4th line now would register as a 3rd line 10 years ago. Gotta be able to contribute.

On a separate note, I find it a bit odd Coho was given #11. I mean I know Legwand isn't ever going to be a HOFer or anything like that, but I thought there would be a chance his number would be raised to the rafters at some point being the longest tenured Pred. I guess his production might counter that thought process but if anyone was going to be given that honour, it would be him.

Given the fact that he is still an active player, I don't know why they would reserve that number at this point. I could see when he retired, not allowing that number to be used again once the current player stopped using it.

mikemcburn

Oct 23, 2013
In regards to lines

Interesting, seeing how today's practice lines apparently split those set-ups entirely. I'd imagine that the real difference between who is 2nd line and who is 3rd goes to special teams assignments/ice-times.

I like this approach. There's enough shuffling to account for lulls, chemistry-hunting, injuries, etc. that it often seems like teams have a 1st line and a 4th line (leaning more toward "energy" than goonery nowadays) and a middle 6.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
It's funny to me that Wilson & Hodgson might play on the same line. After their draft, there were constantly "Wilson vs Hodgson" polls on these boards.
Figures the year we have a high pick it ends up being a weak draft year for forwards. :cry:

But yea, those 2 and Boedker/Bailey have been interesting to follow since the draft. All four have taken turns being the "best" pick

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
If Lavi can't mix and match creating a 2nd and 3rd line I expect a couple players to be moved pretty quick. Last year he attempted to move Neal down which only hurt the top line. Do not think he will go that route again. The good thing he will only have one center playing out of position from where they played last year, whereas he had Jokinen, Roy, Cullen aged and playing out of position. Will it work out I don't know, but there will be a couple failures. Fully expect Moses and Fiala to get significant time before the end of the year. Also read a SI article that was pretty sure that Vessy will sign and join the team at the deadline. Hope they are right.

I honestly thought Moses would make the team out of camp and fully expected Fiala would be here despite it being better for him to go to Milwaukee. The one thing im glad I was right about is Arvidsson. Hes got a chance now lets hope he can perform, it will not take long to see. Bitettio will be here before the end of the year if not to start it. Poile may need a little time to move Bartley. Bartley has earned the chance to play more regularly than being the 7th guy here and if he can bring a decent pick or a younger D prospect that needs work I can see Poile making that decision.

All in all I am not as comfortable with this team as I was at this point last year. The young guy factor plays big in this. I was more hopeful with the geritol class last year until they could not perform. The questions will be answered soon, hate that it will be in the regular season and not pre-season where there answered. The young guys did not answer much in the preseason.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
The other night Lavy was playing Hodgson between Wilson and Smith. I thought it was interesting at the very least and it might be a good second line combo. It would also take some minutes off of Fisher playing the third line and playing with a good defensively responsible player in Jarnkrok it would make that line effective. The downside is Arvidsson may not produce as well with them as his linemates. I'll be interested to see how the lines shake out in the first 10 games or so.

Gnashville

HFBoards Hall of Famer
Jan 7, 2003
Crossville

I'm shocked no one has ever worn #1 since Dunham. It is semi retired.

Scoresberg

Perpetual Mediocrity
May 28, 2015
Earth
I'm bit in the dark here, but at what point Arvidsson surpassed Moses? I thought that Moses had to play in the NHL due to his contract. Has Moses ruined his chance to play in the NHL? I saw an article where some Preds players praised Moses, so that's pretty much why I'm confused. At least I thought Moses would get a look before Arvy in the NHL.

In other news, I like what I'm hearing. Lavy said that we are going to roll 3 scoring lines. That's pretty much what we have discussed here all summer, so we got what we wanted.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I'm bit in the dark here, but at what point Arvidsson surpassed Moses? I thought that Moses had to play in the NHL due to his contract. Has Moses ruined his chance to play in the NHL? I saw an article where some Preds players praised Moses, so that's pretty much why I'm confused. At least I thought Moses would get a look before Arvy in the NHL.

In other news, I like what I'm hearing. Lavy said that we are going to roll 3 scoring lines. That's pretty much what we have discussed here all summer, so we got what we wanted.

Moses gets paid an NHL salary in Milwaukee but doesn't "have" to play in the NHL. And I'm not sure how anyone had to "pass" Moses since he really has no history with this team or the NHL in general.

I think the reasoning is like this: Arvidsson has already seen time on the Preds and on north American sized ice. Moses wasn't outstanding enough in camp to force his way into a spot, so what makes most sense is keep Arvidsson up and see if he can stick, while letting Moses learn to play on smaller ice in Milwaukee. If Arvidsson struggles and Moses is dominating Milwaukee, I think there would be a switch. And even if Arvidsson plays well, if Moses plays well in Milwaukee he will probably be the first forward called up in case of injury. So he will get a shot, I am pretty sure, unless his play in Milwaukee is subpar

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
coming into camp I thought fiala, moses and Watson were all three sort of 'slotted' by management into probable starting positions.. fiala in the position that arvidsson has, moses in place of jarnkrok and Watson in place of bourque.

the truth of the matter is is that none of the three had good camps or exhibitions and were just flat beat out of jobs by those three. avridsson far and away has been the most impressive during this period, he had a much better camp than those guys honestly. fiala was pressing and trying to do too much and turning the puck over consistently trying to make impossible plays, while moses was a turnover machine from getting knocked off the puck so easily and often, and Watson just played slow and looked intimidated on being here for most of the camp.

all have a chance to make it back and contribute before long though. maybe time will help settle them all in. still have high hopes for both fiala and moses.

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Watson didn't get sent down did he? I'm curious to see if he gets some starts or is the nightly scratch until someone gets hurt

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
no he's still the 13th forward (devane is just here until they clear his injury status)

I just wonder if they will maybe rotate Watson in every few games either to give Nystrom a break or just to see if he can hack it. Or will he sit out 75 games like Klein did that one year..

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm wondering if Bickell starts a trend of waiving contracts throughout the league? Why the PREDS are at 22 contracts waiting for someone who could be Sullivan'ed

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007

Id like to see Rinne as sharp as possible, so if he struggles early he should stay in and work out the kinks... but if he looks solid, don't risk injury, plus need to give Hutton a chance to shake off the last dismal performance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad