Cam Neely

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Happy Birthday to one of the Greatest Bruins of all time and quite possible the best body checkers ever and one of the best power-forwards of all time.

giphy.webp

Attachments

• 1717683892672.png
    1717683892672.png
    80.6 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
You lose then.
If you ask all the players who ever played against Neely they would concur the guy was a total truck he and Wendell Clark for me are the two best since I started watching the sport in 1970. Players feared going up against Neely he was that Intimidating.

All the players that played against Neely aren't really close to being able to know who the best body checker ever was.

Even in his own time frame he wasn't close to the body checker Scott Stevens was.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
All the players that played against Neely aren't really close to being able to know who the best body checker ever was.

Even in his own time frame he wasn't close to the body checker Scott Stevens was.
I was mainly referring to forwards as Cam pretty much created the phrase Power-Forward and had every Scout in the world searching for the next Cam Neely. Stevens however was great no doubt it, but to say Neely wasn't close to a Stevens is absolutely LUDICROUS! Both were absolutely beast out-there. Stevens was a wrecking machine just ask Eric Lindros, who was another Great Hitter, but to say Neely isn't in the conversation of the greatest hitters of all time, is like I said Ludicrous, so I guess we'll agree to disagree.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Stevens was great no doubt but to say Neely wasn't close to a Stevens is absolutely LUDICROUS! Both were absolutely beast out-there. Stevens was a wrecking machine just ask Eric Lindros, who was another Great Hitter, but to say Neely isn't in the conversation of the greatest hitters of all time, is like I said Ludicrous, so I guess we'll agree to disagree.

More ludicrous than saying Neely was the best body checker EVER?

By the way, Lindros was a better body checker than Cam too.

Reactions: Gordoff

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border

Nope never said the best, I said quite Possible the Best, which there's no doubt he's among the best ever, he'll always be in that conversation.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005

lindros was a beast. too bad the concussions got him. he was great to watch in the 90s.
i remember when jovanovski started up with the panthers he had some great battles with him.

Honestly for me i still think lucic was probably the body checker i would not want to get hit by.-especially along the walls. His hits - like lindros, looked like they took the wind out of you every time. like getting checked by a bowling ball.

stevebeans

May 15, 2010
I don’t know if he was the best all time but he was just so fun to watch. I just wish he had a longer time playing with Oates.

Healthy Neely was nasty. Healthy Neely with Oates would have done some serious damage to Bruins scoring records

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Cam is also an excellent human.

Both of his parents died of cancer. Neely remains active in the Cam Neely Foundation run in conjunction with Tufts Medical Center, where patients and their families avail themselves of accommodation at the "Neely House" while undergoing cancer treatments.[7] After his mother died of cancer in 1987 and his father in 1993, he founded the charity in 1995 and that same year asked Denis Leary if he was interested in orchestrating a Boston-based comedy benefit show, which became the annual Comics Come Home event.[8]

My parents loved Cam.

I told these Cam stories before.... Many years ago (before I had ST) Cam was still playing but had knee surgery. He had to be on this machine that kept his knee moving right after surgery.

My Dad was going for a knee replacement and was going to have the same machine. Dad was very nervous. I called the Bruins office and tried to get in touch with someone that could have Cam wish Dad good luck. I spoke to a few but wasn't sure if Cam got the message.

The day before Dad was to go for the surgery he received a card from Cam. He wished Dad luck and told him the PT was most important. Dad brought the note to the hospital and told the surgeon he better do a good job.

A month after the knee replacement Dad got another note from Cam saying he hoped Dad was doing well.

Years later Mom went to a preseason game with me and there was to be a barbeque on the front lot with the Bs. She was 79 and walked with a cane. Cam no longer was playing but was there.

I sat Mom at a table and went looking for some water for her. I saw Cam. Some Garden employee was taking photos of him with fans. I tapped him on the shoulder and told him my Mom was there and he was her favorite player. He asked where she was and I told him on the other side of the lot as she couldn't walk far. The girl said "sorry ...she would have to come over here".

Cam said "Lets go". I told him her name. Her back was to us so I said, "Hey Mom, there is someone here to say hi" Cam got down on his knee and took her hand and spoke to her.

It was so sweet. I wished I had a camera. She went to church on Sunday (she played the organ there for 49 years) and told everyone saying she would never wash her hand again.

It was little things....but those things meant so much to Mom and Dad.

Cam has a great heart.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital

Stevens was more of a hit man opportunist, often in a dirty way. Neely was an 18-wheeler of brute force.

Why can’t I find that video of him shattering glass on the interwebz?

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My second favorite All Time Bruins

He not only lived at intersection of skill & toughness they named the streets Cam & Neely

Vintage Neely would be my pick today as best winger in the game

If the 1960’s & 70’s Clint Eastwood character in those spaghetti Westerns and SF detective Harry Callahan were a hockey player it would be Cam Neely

Ferocious

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
My second favorite All Time Bruins

He not only lived at intersection of skill & toughness they named the streets Cam & Neely

Vintage Neely would be my pick today as best winger in the game

If the 1960’s & 70’s Clint Eastwood character in those spaghetti Westerns and SF detective Harry Callahan were a hockey player it would be Cam Neely

Ferocious

After Kucherov?

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
So sad his career was cut way too short. He exemplified everything I appreciate in a hockey player. I was a little kid when he was in his prime so he will always have a superhero-like quality to me when I think back on his playing days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad