Value of: Cam Fowler to Calgary

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Boreal01

Nov 3, 2013
Toronto, Ontario
Let's assume for a moment that Fowler would waive his NTC or (miraculously) has Calgary on his list of 4 teams he'd accept a trade to

Hanifin-Tanev
Fowler-Andersson

That's a pretty solid Top 4, maybe even the best in the Pacific and Calgary will avoid being straddled with the Zadorov/Andersson pairing that will have at least one catastrophic defensive breakdown per game

Does Calgary have the necessary assets to make such an acquisition

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Let's assume for a moment that Fowler would waive his NTC or (miraculously) has Calgary on his list of 4 teams he'd accept a trade to

Hanifin-Tanev
Fowler-Andersson

That's a pretty solid Top 4, maybe even the best in the Pacific and Calgary will avoid being straddled with the Zadorov/Andersson pairing that will have at least one catastrophic defensive breakdown per game

No, I don't think we have the assets for Fowler. He would cost a lot and we cannot afford that.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Good player, but difficult to pin down his value because his cap hit and NTC would limit the market. Seems like a case where his trade value would fail to match the value he brings to the Ducks as one of their top 2 Dmen - but at some point it may still make sense to shed the contract.

I would have felt better about moving Fowler if we still had Haydn Fleury to fill in behind Lindholm.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Good player, but difficult to pin down his value because his cap hit and NTC would limit the market. Seems like a case where his trade value would fail to match the value he brings to the Ducks as one of their top 2 Dmen - but at some point it may still make sense to shed the contract.

I would have felt better about moving Fowler if we still had Haydn Fleury to fill in behind Lindholm.

Between Lindholm and Flower, one which is better?

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Cap hit is more than we want. If we hadn’t traded for Zadorov I probably would’ve explored something like this.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007

Hanifin-Tanev
Fowler-Andersson

Valimaki is being developed into a top 4. The Flames also have a bunch of capable, yet not overly-exciting depth guys to fill out the bottom pairing and work under Sutter's system.

Fowler would be nice. Maybe if the Flames are looking to add at the deadline?

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Fowler is still a very good player but...

Is he 6.5M dollars good today? Debatable.
Is he 6.5M good for the next five seasons? Extremely doubtful at best.

Roster wise it's a fit. Player wise and cap wise it isn't. I can't imagine Fowler would be overly interested in playing in Calgary.

Reactions: Deen and CraigsList

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Lindholm would be a much better target. Granted there’s a lack of term with the player. He’s also cost a lot.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Fowler is a lifelong Duck. He is basically untradeable due to his cap and NTC, and if the Ducks were able to trade him the return would be so small they are better off keeping him.
Not to mention the Ducks can’t trade him before resigning Hampus.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I really like Lindholm. He would be a great replacement for Giordano. Fowler is not a very good defender.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
No reason to believe that Calgary is on Cam Fowlers 4 team trade list, It's doubtful he'd waive for any Canadian team let alone Calgary who's not even a playoff team. His $6,500,000 x 5 plus the pieces to acquire him isn't cheap.

Ledge And Dairy

Please no, Fowler while still a decent player is on an awful contract. Dont think i would move Lucic for him 1 for 1 right now. Flames really dont need a really expensive LD blocking their young guys development.

I would much rather pay for Lindholm or Ekholm at the dadline

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Please no, Fowler while still a decent player is on an awful contract. Dont think i would move Lucic for him 1 for 1 right now. Flames really dont need a really expensive LD blocking their young guys development.

I would much rather pay for Lindholm or Ekholm at the dadline

I can understand the concern over the term remaining at his age but you're still massively exaggerating. 6.5M per is fair market value for an established 2/3 Dman in UFA years. Fowler is worth the money today and there's no particular reason to assume he won't continue to live up to the majority of the contract. You're describing it like some albatross that takes him well into his late 30s. Fowler at 33/34 could very well still be a quality top 4 D.

Any sane GM would gladly reallocate the money owed to a severely overpaid 4th liner and give it to a guy who's easily a top 2 Dman on your roster for the foreseeable future.

Reactions: Yemeth

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Fowler is still a very good player but...

Is he 6.5M dollars good today? Debatable.
Is he 6.5M good for the next five seasons? Extremely doubtful at best.

Roster wise it's a fit. Player wise and cap wise it isn't. I can't imagine Fowler would be overly interested in playing in Calgary.
does his contract take him to his age 34/35 season?
hopefully the cap starts going back up in the next season or so... would make his contract at least more palatable

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad