Calling out Ovi

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Ovechkin is similar to Vince Carter, Alan Iverson, Brett Hull, Eric Lindros, Terrell Owens etc etc. Great individual players who can't win...mainly because of attitude and polarization. Until Ovie becomes a supporting player like Hull did, he won't win in the playoffs. He's not a leader of men - like Crosby, Messier, Sakic or Yzerman, he's a sniper and needs a change in scenery. He be great in Boston or Nashville.

If not his leadership, Washington would be in good place to draft Dahlin this year.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
When a player is touted as a GOAT one expects to see playoff performances that compliments that claim. He is going to be under the most scrutiny as he has the highest expectations.

Bull, if he produces, he didn't produce enough, if he doesn't produce, he stinks. How many more numbers do people have to post before people say "hey maybe I should rethink this?".

Did you know that Ovechkin has scored at least a goal in every single playoff series he has ever played in?

Could he do more sometimes sure, but to put more than 10% blame on Ovechkin for any of the Caps woes is ridiculous. 2013 against the Rangers was maybe the only series that I have even remotely thought, "yep, Ovechkin should have done more", but Lundqvist was insane so sometimes the other team has something to say about it.

This is seriously one of the dumber threads going right now.

Reactions: Bobby G

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Bull, if he produces, he didn't produce enough, if he doesn't produce, he stinks. How many more numbers do people have to post before people say "hey maybe I should rethink this?".

Are you arguing this with me or someone else? It's quite simple, his playoff resume is not befitting his regular season resume and that should viewed as an indication that he doesn't enough of the "it" quality that other have that propel them to meet or exceed their regular season performances, relative to the league. Since 2011, he really hasn't had the game either as his effectiveness as a bigtime PP goalscorer gets reduced in the playoffs.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Are you arguing this with me or someone else? It's quite simple, his playoff resume is not befitting his regular season resume and that should viewed as an indication that he doesn't enough of the "it" quality that other have that propel them to meet or exceed their regular season performances, relative to the league. Since 2011, he really hasn't had the game either as his effectiveness as a bigtime PP goalscorer gets reduced in the playoffs.

This is a timely take. :thumbu:

Anisimovs AK

Apr 14, 2006
Columbus, OH
Let me post this again.

Holtby leads active goaltenders in playoff save percentage.

Before this series Grubauer had played one playoff game in his career, 3 years ago as an injury replacement.

Maybe Trotz' panic move of going with Gruby over Holtby has a little to do with the Caps being down 0-2?

Nah prolly just Ovechkin choking

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It's cool, but you know what, I don't even care about Ovi winning the Cup anymore. It's not going to happen, at least not in Washington.

I just wish he got the respect that he deserves for all the good things he has done. Let's be honest now. Without Ovi, the Caps would be as relevant as the Florida Panthers (no offense to Cats fans).

Do you really care about respect from people who do not recognize one of the, if not the, greatest goal scorers in history? It is like the Crosby sucks chants in Philly. Except for the humor element do you think that any Pens' fan actually cares or wants to win them over?

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
If someone needs called out, it's Tom Wilson. He headshot Wennberg (concussion) and the Jackets scored on the powerplay. Last night, he horse-collared Jones after the whistle and the Jackets scored on the powerplay. He's got 0 points in those two games. In 2 games decided by a single OT goal, Wilson's stupidity has been the difference.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Do you really care about respect from people who do not recognize one of the, if not the, greatest goal scorers in history? It is like the Crosby sucks chants in Philly. Except for the humor element do you think that any Pens' fan actually cares or wants to win them over?

But the "Crosby sucks" chants are limited to the Flyers fan, and even they don't believe what they're saying. Everyone knows how good he is and he gets universal respect from the media and fans around the league.

I don't care about what fans might think about Ovi. If they think he sucks, well, they're just wrong. I care about the media ripping him, putting his legacy in the trash can while taking a shot at the Capitals organization. It's unfair to him, and I've never seen the media make a mockery like this of a great player before. Everyone but him is getting a pass for not taking their team to the promised land. Enough with the double standards.

BTW, I'm the one who should have Jaded Fan as his username. I wouldn't be Jaded if I was rooting for a team looking for its 3rd consecutive championship...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
But the "Crosby sucks" chants are limited to the Flyers fan, and even they don't believe what they're saying. Everyone knows how good he is and he gets universal respect from the media and fans around the league.

I don't care about what fans might think about Ovi. If they think he sucks, well, they're just wrong. I care about the media ripping him, putting his legacy in the trash can while taking a shot at the Capitals organization. It's unfair to him, and I've never seen the media make a mockery like this of a great player before. Everyone but him is getting a pass for not taking their team to the promised land. Enough with the double standards.

BTW, I'm the one who should have Jaded Fan as his username. I wouldn't be Jaded if I was rooting for a team looking for its 3rd consecutive championship...

Screw 'em. Ovi will rightly be enshrined when he hangs them up. That the organization could not win a cup around him, at least so far, speaks more to partially blind luck and partially on the organization.

Winning cups is not supposed to be easy.

The second round narrative makes a cool soundbite but the Caps came very close a few times. And yes build, depth and coaching does matter. The Pens went through their dry years under post 2009 Bylsma and Johnson when they wasted their talent.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Ovechkin has nothing to be ashamed about in his post-season career. Outside of maybe 1 year, he's always been a positive contributor. The Capitals, on the other hand, have had quite a few regular season champs who become passengers in the post-season over the years. Ovechkin just doesn't happen to be one of them.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Screw 'em. Ovi will rightly be enshrined when he hangs them up. That the organization could not win a cup around him, at least so far, speaks more to partially blind luck and partially on the organization.

Winning cups is not supposed to be easy.

The second round narrative makes a cool soundbite but the Caps came very close a few times. And yes build, depth and coaching does matter. The Pens went through their dry years under post 2009 Bylsma and Johnson when they wasted their talent.

It's not supposed to be easy but we were supposed to be good enough for it at least once.

Pens have a winning culture, established by Mario, Jagr and Francis a long time ago. Sid & Geno were moulded by this winning culture.

Meanwhile, the Caps have had a losing culture since day 1, and we asked Ovi to establish a winning culture. We asked too much of him in that regard. We should have hired a Cup winning coach right from the start of the Ovechkin era to establish this winning culture. Now the losing culture is deeply rooted inside the spirit of the franchise, and we will have to change everything about the way this team operates if we hope to be a more respectable team in the playoffs. Unfortunately, Ovi will hang up his skates before the culture changes.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
Why don't people call out Oshie, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky? All I see is "Ovy, Ovy, Ovy" with a dose of Grubauer.
Why don't people call out xxxxx, xxxxxx, xxxxxxxx, and xxxxxx players since Ovechkin has been in the NHL. So either Ovechkin has never been surrounded by a quality team or maybe he's simply not that guy to captain Cup winners. At this point I'd say the vast majority have made their minds.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Ovechkin is 100% getting undeserved **** because he is Russian. No one is blaming Doughty for the Kings getting smashed.
If Ovechkin pulled the same stunt Doughty did last night HF would crash.

Now cue the crusade.
That's because Doughty's won 2 cups early in his career.

If McDavid can't get passed round two 13 years into his NHL career, he'll be flamed as well.

Hank Plank

Jun 5, 2012
Alberta
The game two loss wasn't Ovi's fault. Hisd role is to score goals and he did that. Giving up a multi-goal lead in two games is not Ovechkin's fault.
His role is far more than just scoring goals.
Ovechkin is 100% getting undeserved **** because he is Russian.
This is ridiculous.
No one is blaming Doughty for the Kings getting smashed.
If Ovechkin pulled the same stunt Doughty did last night HF would crash.

Now cue the crusade.
I blame Doughty he acted like a total jackass over his suspension and brought that into game 3. Lost the Kings the game by blowing his assignment. Brutal performance by Doughty. But as some have pointed out he's a 2-time Cup winner so he gets some slack.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
The Ovechkin criticism is reaching ridiculous levels. Next thing we'll hear is that it's Ovechkin's fault if Grubauer couldn't make a glove save in the series. It's also Ovechkin's fault if the PK has allowed a goal 50% of the time. It's Ovechkin's fault if Brooks Orpik plays 20 minutes per game. It's Ovechkin's fault if Burakovsky and Wilson take stupid offensive zone penalties when protecting a one goal lead late in the game.

I got it, it's all his fault.

Agreed. It’s such a f***ing lazy argument too. You see his stats and his production is not an issue. You also watch the games and see that overall he is not the problem. Yet people still believe that a franchise player can single-handedly drag a team to the cup amd win it, when the cup winning teams had amazing supporting casts that elevated their game. It’s completely unwarranted and disrespectful to one of the best goal scorers of all time.

This thread does allow me to easily pick out whose opinions to ignore in the future though so that’s something.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
Let me post this again.

Holtby leads active goaltenders in playoff save percentage.

Before this series Grubauer had played one playoff game in his career, 3 years ago as an injury replacement.

Maybe Trotz' panic move of going with Gruby over Holtby has a little to do with the Caps being down 0-2?

Nah prolly just Ovechkin choking

It's a fair point but the history argument is kinda weak IMO. Holtby was utter garbage in the regular season. Grubauer was good. There was a huge difference between the two with regards to their numbers. Grubauer was statistically a top 10 goalie while Holtby was a bottom 10 goalie.

I understand he's a Vezina winner and makes a lot of money, but you gotta go with the hot hand. Grubauer was that guy. It didn't work out, so now Holtby it is.

bottomofthefoodchain

Feb 10, 2008
Stockholm
That's because Doughty's won 2 cups early in his career.

If McDavid can't get passed round two 13 years into his NHL career, he'll be flamed as well.
Doughty was a great player on a great team. Ovechkin has been a greater player on a mediocre team.
He has been the Caps' biggest contributor pretty much every post-season, yet he is singled out as the reason for the Capitals failures. We all know why.
The bias against him at this site is too obvious.

Lemieuxs

Nov 23, 2013
Being a Penguins fan I am not a big Ovi fan or Caps fan. But watching Ovi play last night should shut up the haters. He was fantastic. He was back checking and scoring and leading by example all night. He is definitely NOT the problem in Washington. Discipline is the problem in Washington. Employing idiots like Wilson who miss wide open nets and take bone headed penalties all night is the problem. Not Ovi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad