C Will Smith - Boston College, NCAA (2023, 4th, SJS)

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
He is putting up numbers that are in the stratosphere of what Jack Hughes did in 2018-19 for the program.

Is it just the numbers or skills wise he could compare to Hughes?

I would assume he would be talked about more for the top 10 if he was?

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Numbers.

He’s having a very good season. He’ll make a run at top 10, and could be drafted top 10.

He’s not comparable to Hughes as a prospect.
Agreed. Not only is he not on Hughes' level as prospect (few are) but their playing styles are quite different. Smith is more like Zegras (in playing style) but without the swashbuckler elan that Zegras has. Still quite a bit of development runway left, but I'm not convinced Smith has Zegras upside yet. He's starting to win me over, though.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Is it just the numbers or skills wise he could compare to Hughes?

I would assume he would be talked about more for the top 10 if he was?
Couple things to consider about draft rankings this year. Many scouts and prospect observers think this is a loaded draft. Scott Wheeler, for example, says this 2023 draft crop is the best since 2015, which was a deep year. I don't think it will have the first-round depth of the legendary 2003 draft, but the top 10 is excellent. In 2019, Trevor Zegras went ninth in a pretty decent draft crop. 2023 is touted as being much deeper than 2019, so don't use draft ranking as a measure of a prospect's quality. Zegras would probably go higher in a redraft now, wouldn't you say?

EDIT: FWIW, McKeen's just released a top-50 for 2023 and ranked Will Smith No. 9.

Smith is putting up great numbers, was one of the first, if not the first call up last year to U18s last year, and even got some U18 WC time in the spring. This year, as the No. 1 centre on the team, I've liked the growth in his game, but I'm not convinced he has Zegras-type upside yet. Not saying he can't reach it, but there is still some developing left to do. That said, if his upside is Zegras and not Hughes, that's not too shabby.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Agreed. Not only is he not on Hughes' level as prospect (few are) but their playing styles are quite different. Smith is more like Zegras (in playing style) but without the swashbuckler elan that Zegras has. Still quite a bit of development runway left, but I'm not convinced Smith has Zegras upside yet. He's starting to win me over, though.

I think he’s closest to Josh Norris. Very well rounded center. Could become a 1B type of center in the NHL.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
I think he’s closest to Josh Norris. Very well rounded center. Could become a 1B type of center in the NHL.
That's a good comparison, and also a pretty noteworthy upside. Even though Norris went #19 in 2017, he took some pretty big steps development-wise after his draft year. In a recent "re-draft" done by Corey Pronman of The Athletic, Norris was No. 6. I sure hope his shoulder holds up.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
That's a good comparison, and also a pretty noteworthy upside. Even though Norris went #19 in 2017, he took some pretty big steps development-wise after his draft year. In a recent "re-draft" done by Corey Pronman of The Athletic, Norris was No. 6. I sure hope his shoulder holds up.
Norris is the exception rather than the rule. He wasn’t great in his draft year or even in the NCAA, but he took a huge step when he jumped to pro hockey in the AHL. Can’t count on most players to develop like that.

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Here is a brief synopsis of what I’ve seen from Smith’s game. Let me know if I’m missing anything or if I’m way off in some way. I want to have the best possible player rankings by the end of the year.

Will Smith is a confident hockey player. He’s a star on the USNTDP and he clearly is aware of his skill set. What separates Will Smith from his peers are the tools he possesses. He is a very fast skater with great acceleration and a tremendous shot. He is patient with the puck, at times to a fault, but the numbers don’t lie. Will Smith has generated over 2 points per game so far this year (as of November 13th) because he plays on a great line and because he’s a very dangerous player in the offensive zone. Despite having good puck handling ability, it is not a defining element of his game. He relies on his speed and puck protection ability to enter the zone or to facilitate a play.

Most of my issue’s with Will Smith’s game are common issues in young skilled players. While his point production is impressive, I find him to be a bit inconsistent at times. He is always dangerous on the ice, but his decision making and overall compete are lacking some games. His motor is inconsistent and he can fade into the background for long stretches of games at times. He’s not the type of player to go to the dirty areas or engage physically most of the time.

Confidence, speed, lethal shot, and great offensive instincts. I view him as a potential 2nd line center or top 6 winger at the NHL level who could be a shooting option on the 1st power play. I view him as a top 10 pick at this point.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I’ll be fun watching the USNTDP U19 squad….errrrr I mean the BC Eagles next season! ;)

But seriously….the 05’s have really not gotten their due in the shadow of the ‘04 crop but their is some serious chemistry with this group that is a blast to watch.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is disgusting

Have a feeling he's going to be a polarizing prospect come the draft. Some are going to point to the skill/IQ and production and argue he should go near the top 5, and others will probably argue that his skating may hold him back from being an elite prospect.

Just my opinion, but he skates very well.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was excited to see the increased hype this season.

My opinion is that he’s definitely better, but I wouldn’t go overboard and think he’s a top 5 pick. He’s much improved with his passing. I didn’t see a great passer last season, and while I don’t think his passing is great, it’s improved and I can see like 40 assists in his best season. I don’t think that’s out of reach.

He reminds me of Tyler Seguin. Josh Norris if he only hits somewhere lower than his absolute ceiling. I see him as somewhere between a 1A, 1B, 2A center, depending on how he progresses. He can do some of everything as a center, and his best attribute is his goal scoring. I think he’s probably a top 10 guy, but not top 5. Closer to outside top 10 than top 5.

Reactions: Marc the Habs Fan

MichaelFarrell

Aug 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I was excited to see the increased hype this season.

My opinion is that he’s definitely better, but I wouldn’t go overboard and think he’s a top 5 pick. He’s much improved with his passing. I didn’t see a great passer last season, and while I don’t think his passing is great, it’s improved and I can see like 40 assists in his best season. I don’t think that’s out of reach.

He reminds me of Tyler Seguin. Josh Norris if he only hits somewhere lower than his absolute ceiling. I see him as somewhere between a 1A, 1B, 2A center, depending on how he progresses. He can do some of everything as a center, and his best attribute is his goal scoring. I think he’s probably a top 10 guy, but not top 5. Closer to outside top 10 than top 5.
His playmaking ability is definitely better but inconsistent. Perreault is the passer on that line with Smith as the main shooting option.

I don’t think he’s top 5. But, I’m not sure if there are 10 better picks than Will Smith.

Nabrules

Nov 5, 2018
Seems to have slowed down the past month or so. Anyone have any further thoughts on his recent play?

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
He was away at the junior national team tryout camp and missed three games while there. He got sick at the camp and didn't make the team. He had four points in the five games before he left, so yes his production was off from the 2 ppg he had been averaging. There's only been one game -- against the University of Minnesota -- since the Christmas break, so it's difficult to say if there's been a lasting effect from that illness, which I heard was not COVID related.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad