C Shane Wright (2022, 4th, SEA) Part 4

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I wonder how HF would have reacted to the Bruins' minimal usage of Thornton in the fall of 1997. That's probably the only time I can remember something like this happening with an 18 year old C.

Took Joe 21 games to pickup a point...yikes!

My guess is Seattle is either buying time until the Canada WJC camp begins in December and he won't exceed 9 GP by then and they will assign him to whatever OHL contending team trades for him after the WJC... or they will send him to Kingston shortly.
Wright is playing even less. He has yet to hit 9 minutes in a game, and has only hit 7 minutes once.

I’m not saying he deserves more playing time, but he’s getting exceptionally little. Seems pointless to keep him up if you’re only gonna give him ~6 mins/game.

Reactions: wetcoast

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
If he isn’t ready to play meaningful minutes hopefully they won’t keep him up for optics.

A bit of a shame he’s not AHL eligible as that would be the ideal spot if a bit of seasoning at pro level is needed.

Can Kraken fans chime in? Has he looked out of place or do you think he will gradually adjust to the pro game and get an increased role over the season.

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
I haven't watched his other games of the season, so i can't say about those games but
oh my god he played horribly vs Hawks.

Sure just about 6 minutes but holy hell he looked so lost in every shift,
constantly late, head spinning, puck watching; playing only
via reacting to where the puck goes.

The NHL was just too fast for him in this game versus Hawks

The difference between Beniers and Wright in this game.. holy hannah!
the other looks like he has played 10 years in the NHL,
the other looked like a junior.

FYI. just over a year of age difference.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I haven't watched his other games of the season, so i can't say about those games but

It's so weird reading a post from you that doesn't mention box score stats. This is actually a reasonable take.

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
I wonder how HF would have reacted to the Bruins' minimal usage of Thornton in the fall of 1997. That's probably the only time I can remember something like this happening with an 18 year old C.

Took Joe 21 games to pickup a point...yikes!

My guess is Seattle is either buying time until the Canada WJC camp begins in December and he won't exceed 9 GP by then and they will assign him to whatever OHL contending team trades for him after the WJC... or they will send him to Kingston shortly.
I think you're right and we are likely going to see him play at the world juniors. I thought he should have played in August like McTavish did, but nobody pays me for advice on how to develop players.

Another option the Kraken have is to send him for a 14-day "conditioning stint" in the AHL to delay his return to the OHL even more. I'm beginning to suspect they don't want him to play in Kingston and are trying to force the hand of the GM there to trade him to another team.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

It makes one wonder how a guy, who has been the man throughout his hockey journey, reacts to the adversity of basically being a nobody on the ice.

Could go one of two ways....determination and focus elevates his game to the top.

Crumbles under the pressure and is gone in a few years.

Mr Buckles

Jun 6, 2018
If you aren’t going to give him shifts against the big bad scary *checks notes* Chicago Blackhawks…

for the love of God send him down
And now it looks as if he's sitting against the Mighty Canucks.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
It's so weird reading a post from you that doesn't mention box score stats. This is actually a reasonable take.

Man first the soccer on ice clip and now this From George Leafer...it also confirms that I'm really stoned because of my fascination and wonderment in these 2 things happening so closely in the universe.

Jeffrey Pedler

Mar 21, 2018
If he isn’t ready to play meaningful minutes hopefully they won’t keep him up for optics.

A bit of a shame he’s not AHL eligible as that would be the ideal spot if a bit of seasoning at pro level is needed.

Can Kraken fans chime in? Has he looked out of place or do you think he will gradually adjust to the pro game and get an increased role over the season.
He isn't playing meaningful minutes, because the coach isn't giving him meaningful minutes. He should at least be given third line minutes and powerplay time.

Reactions: Sagikev

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think the Kraken are playing 3D chess with Wright and the fans. Kraken have already decided they will demote Wright to junior but are concerned he will be generally disinterested and unmotivated once returned. So to mitigate, they are healthy scratching him and humbling him to the point that Wright will yearn to return to junior to get icetime and prove the Kraken and everyone else wrong about him.

Am i Wright??? ;)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
I think the Kraken are playing 3D chess with Wright and the fans. Kraken have already decided they will demote Wright to junior but are concerned he will be generally disinterested and unmotivated once returned. So to mitigate, they are healthy scratching him and humbling him to the point that Wright will yearn to return to junior to get icetime and prove the Kraken and everyone else wrong about him.

Am i Wright??? ;)
Maybe. A lot of guys would prefer the NHL travel (private charters and 5 star hotels) and the massive paycheck, to being on a bus in junior driving from Kingston to Windsor. He's made close to 92k USD in these 9 games (because you are paid even if you are scratched).

Mar 12, 2009
There lies the issue. Sending Wright back to the jrs may not benefit him as a player at all and Seattle loses a year of development. That is something the team needs to consider. What is the best interest in the player and his development and sometimes going back to the OHL isn't the best interest in development.
It would only hurt if he has a really bad attitude or bad hockey IQ. Talented guys who lit up the league more in their draft year have gone back in their D+1 and not had it hurt them, when a year in the NHL when they weren't fully ready could have.

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
I think Wright will head back to Junior, but tbh I don't mind them keeping him up as much as everyone else. He's still learning lots being under an NHL coaching staff vs OHL.

I'd like to see them give him a few more minutes while he's up with them, but to say they are ruining him is dumb. It's been 3 weeks

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Kid has played 6 minutes in the NHL. I think some here should take a knee.

Sometimes watching the game from the pressbox can help a young player significantly.

Some of you lot need to chill out haha
Pressbox studying I think is a bit stupid. Video coaching from games is to prefer. Someone who is guiding what the organisation wishes the prospects has to learn. "Good to pressbox watching litterly means " I have to stick a good label to it - even if its not great".

Just like the analytic guy on spottschannel, a videocoach would be great to have meanwhile, catching up defensive situations for ex.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

GM Armchair

Dec 16, 2019
Pressbox studying I think is a bit stupid. Video coaching from games is to prefer. Someone who is guiding what the organisation wishes the prospects has to learn. "Good to pressbox watching litterly means " I have to stick a good label to it - even if its not great".

Just like the analytic guy on spottschannel, a videocoach would be great to have meanwhile, catching up defensive situations for ex.
This is very difficult to read bro.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com

I believe I said that after the first healthy scratch - it’s becoming a regular occurrence now and I believe he should be sent back to junion.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Hakstol with that Michel Therrien school of thinking that prospects can somehow learn just as much watching the game from up high. As if video doesn’t exist. Idiotic management of Wright.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
6yopan.jpg

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
When are teams going to realize that MOST 18 years olds in this day and age are NOT READY for the NHL. It's extremely rare that they are, no matter if you are a 1st overall pick, 10th overall, or 30th overall. The game is faster and the players are stronger than ever. 10-30 years ago the game was slower and the players weren't as strong, which allowed skilled 18 year olds to come into the league and play well, not anymore.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
When are teams going to realize that MOST 18 years olds in this day and age are NOT READY for the NHL. It's extremely rare that they are, no matter if you are a 1st overall pick, 10th overall, or 30th overall. The game is faster and the players are stronger than ever. 10-30 years ago the game was slower and the players weren't as strong, which allowed skilled 18 year olds to come into the league and play well, not anymore.
In all fairness - every year no more than I’d say 5 players that are 18 years old play games, let alone stick in the NHL - out of 220+ players drafted every year, that’s definitely saying that “most players aren’t ready”.

But I understand your point.

Ad

Ad

Ad