C Kirby Dach (2019, 3rd, CHI)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
7:29 today? What kind of joke is this? Incredible that the kid is able to produce as well as he has, and for that matter, be able to stay awake as much as he has with these terrible minutes.

Average of less than 2:30 in a 20 minute (~30 minute, real time) period. That’s unbelievable.

He took a big his and did not play after (maybe 1-2 shifts if that). I believe the team was playing it safe.

Reactions: Fixxer and d rake

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Seriously, how dumb do the Blackhawks have to be to publicly say that he’ll stay with the team. Just why.

Send the kid back, dumbasses. Yes, he’s ready. But playing less than a dozen minutes a night isn’t helping him, and the team isn’t anywhere near contending.

He is playing around 12 minutes each night. This is fine as they are 3rd line minutes. He is now starting to get PP minutes which will cause his minutes to go up. The Hawks are easing him into the NHL game and it has worked. Going back to the WHL where he can just physically dominate kids for 18-22 a night is not better than playing 12-14 minutes a night in the NHL.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
He is playing around 12 minutes each night. This is fine as they are 3rd line minutes. He is now starting to get PP minutes which will cause his minutes to go up. The Hawks are easing him into the NHL game and it has worked. Going back to the WHL where he can just physically dominate kids for 18-22 a night is not better than playing 12-14 minutes a night in the NHL.
I sincerely hope you are right.

Reactions: d rake

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
That staying up in the NHL is the right move for his development.
ahhhh...yeah we can't for sure say one way or another, but watching this kid it is plain as day to see the hands and skill he has. he has to do a bit better job of protecting himself/bracing for hits, but that comes over time. I think he belongs up here and will be utilized in a 2nd/3rd line role which is perfect for him - as he will be getting that 13-16 minutes a night as he gets more power play time as well...he is playing wing too, so easing him in as best as we can. Hawks typically develop their high end picks, only Beach and Skille from a decade ago truly busted..

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

CallMeShaft

34 Counts
Apr 14, 2014
He looks capable of playing in the NHL. If that changes later this year, we can always send him down. Will lose an ELC year, but Edmonton did that with Drai and signing that kid his first non-elc contract a year sooner did not hurt them one bit.

Like someone said above, in the Kings game, Dach took a hit in the middle frame and only played one shift after that so I'd guess he was just a little sore and the coaches kept him out. It was also the first of a back-to-back (I think Dach's first B2B in the NHL) so sitting him half a game wasn't a big deal.

Do I like that he was on a line with Kubalik and Kampf last game? No. Kubalik has decided he no longer wants to utilize his great shot and Kampf is a 4th liner (a good one at that, but still) playing on the 3rd line. But lines have been jumbled up a bunch over the last few weeks and I'm sure he'll have new linemates a week from now.

But for an 18yo, the way he protects the puck (both in open ice and along the boards) makes me love the kid. It's gonna be a bitch to strip that kid of the puck in 3 years time.

d rake

Jan 7, 2019
Winnipeg, MB
Yep, this is just getting stupid. Send him down, let him play at the WJC, get traded to a major contender and push for the Memorial Cup. Then, when you’re closer to actually contending and ready to give him a real chance, play him next year.
I agree if they continue playing him like this he should go down, however Colliton also played Nylander similarly for his first 9 or so games, easing him and giving him lower icetime and now Nylander is flourishing on our top line. So I wouldn't be surprised if his ice time goes up in the next 10 games or so.

Reactions: Dominance

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Makes no sense to burn the year if they're gonna play him on the 4th line. Position to succeed, or send him down to juniors IMO. He has plenty to do there as he hardly destroyed the competition last season.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
He's averaging 11 minutes per game. It's not much different. Thats 4th line minutes.

11 minutes per game as a 3rd liner is just fine for him as he start his career. They are a little above 4th minutes as I break it down as 20-18-12-10. He will get more as the season goes on.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If he is not physically or mentally overmatched, and he can help the team, then keep him up.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
And now he’s scratched today. Are they putting together a case study on how NOT to develop a young prospect with enormous offensive potential but significant areas for improvement?

Yep. This kind of treatment was exactly what I feared was gonna happen if the Avs picked him.
Kid is one hell of a prospect. But he should be in the WHL by now. Burning that year of his ELC makes no sense at all IMO.
Hope he gets sent down soon and gets to play a huge role in the upcoming WJC.
Division rival or not I am still rooting for Kirby and hope this gets sorted quickly. Him eating nachos in the press box is the last thing you want to see right now...

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
And now he’s scratched today. Are they putting together a case study on how NOT to develop a young prospect with enormous offensive potential but significant areas for improvement?
It's hard to believe that teams keep making these same mistakes over and over with prospects.

No prospect in history has ever been irreparably damaged by patience but there are plenty of examples of prospects rushed along and fizzling out. If a young guy that has offensive upside is barely playing at all, let alone in offensive situations, I can't imagine how anyone thinks that's good for their development. Rasmussen in Detroit is a recent example.. all year up with Detroit, but minimal ice time and situations (and on a bad team), and now he's starting the year in the AHL rectifying last year's mistakes.

The same "he has nothing to prove in juniors" argument never works for me. When you look at some of the totals that players from Sakic to DeBrincat put up in their post-draft junior seasons, it's hard to convince me that Dach's 1.18 points per game last year was just total domination and another year in the WHL would be a waste of his time or possibly even detrimental.

Not to mention the cap implications of burning a year of his ELC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad