C Jack Hughes - USNTDP (2019, 1st, NJD) Part 5

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Confirmed that he can score 3on3 on a mini rink against other prospects.

The signs are encouraging, but we won't really know how ready he is until the NHL camp opens.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I wouldn't say super inaccurate, they are generally in the vicinity. But, they can't be held in the same regard as actual combine measurments. In my experience NHL teams and Junior teams fudge numbers even worse than the USNTDP do.

Im pretty sure I remember reading something on twitter within the last couple years that NTDP undermeasured their players in comparison to the combine results. Like 95% of the NTDP players were all measured taller and heavier at the combine than what was shown on the NTDP roster

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Im pretty sure I remember reading something on twitter within the last couple years that NTDP undermeasured their players in comparison to the combine results. Like 95% of the NTDP players were all measured taller and heavier at the combine than what was shown on the NTDP roster

I would struggle to find it now but around the time of the combine this question came up and the NTDP measurements were generally accurate or slightly less than the ones released from the combine. If HUGHES was listed at 5’10” and 170 pounds at that time it wouldn’t be surprising If he ended up slightly taller and heavier by the time of the combine. Not that it’s that big of a deal. Every team was able to get a close up look at him. If he was 5 foot six they’d know just by being in the room with him.

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017
I would struggle to find it now but around the time of the combine this question came up and the NTDP measurements were generally accurate or slightly less than the ones released from the combine. If HUGHES was listed at 5’10” and 170 pounds at that time it wouldn’t be surprising If he ended up slightly taller and heavier by the time of the combine. Not that it’s that big of a deal. Every team was able to get a close up look at him. If he was 5 foot six they’d know just by being in the room with him.

And that would make Caufield 5 foot two which would've been discussed more...:sarcasm:

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

The signs are encouraging, but we won't really know how ready he is until the NHL camp opens.

Even then until the regular season begins it’s still something of a guessing game. Hughes appears to have all the tools needed to succeed. He will have to adjust to the NHL of course but he has at least continued to look at home as he takes more steps along his journey.

severian

Aug 19, 2007
Westfield

It's probably just that most of the NTDP players are 16-17 years old when they are measured and they grew by the time they reach the combine.

Reactions: VoidCreature

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Central scouting does height/weights throughout the year. There isn't much 'measurement mystery' anymore.

Any player coming from CHL, USHL, etc would likely see accurate measurements (or maybe a little growth).

The ones that are most often off are (a) European-based players that do not play international hockey (b) NCAA players (c) High School players.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Central scouting does height/weights throughout the year. There isn't much 'measurement mystery' anymore.

Any player coming from CHL, USHL, etc would likely see accurate measurements (or maybe a little growth).

The ones that are most often off are (a) European-based players that do not play international hockey (b) NCAA players (c) High School players.

The CS measurements are through the teams. You think they go to every draft eligible player and personally measure them?

Whatever heights/weights that are reported from NTDP are the ones CS uses

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
The CS measurements are through the teams. You think they go to every draft eligible player and personally measure them?

Yes! They do cattle calls at tournaments, send people to games, etc. And its just height/weights...strict rules are about questions, talking to players, etc

Whatever heights/weights that are reported from NTDP are the ones CS uses

Maybe measurements used in media is sent from NTDP...but CS takes their own.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Yes! They do cattle calls at tournaments, send people to games, etc. And its just height/weights...strict rules are about questions, talking to players, etc

Maybe measurements used in media is sent from NTDP...but CS takes their own.

No they dont. And if they do they are innaccurate. Players like Cozens and Harley are taller in their pre draft rankings than the CS end of the year rankings. And i doubt at age 18 they shrank over a year

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
No they dont. And if they do they are innaccurate. Players like Cozens and Harley are taller in their pre draft rankings than the CS end of the year rankings. And i doubt at age 18 they shrank over a year
Um, I think you may have been misled. Central scouts do take measurements of players. I cannot explain Cozens and Harley discrepancies, but I know I am not wrong about this.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Um, I think you may have been misled. Central scouts do take measurements of players. I cannot explain Cozens and Harley discrepancies, but I know I am not wrong about this.

Can you provide any proof of this? I have played with players who have been on the CS lists and none of them were officially measured whatsoever by anyone affiliated with CS

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
Can you provide any proof of this? I have played with players who have been on the CS lists and none of them were officially measured whatsoever by anyone affiliated with CS
I don't know what to tell you...you'll just have to take my word. In years I am familiar with, scouts took measurements. Intl tournaments, prospect game, etc.

Ask your friends. There are some pre-set questions (verifying date-of-birth, previous teams, etc), a photo and height/weight. Little small talk and that's it. But its done by central scouts.

USHOCKEYUS

Sep 16, 2014
I don't know what to tell you...you'll just have to take my word. In years I am familiar with, scouts took measurements. Intl tournaments, prospect game, etc.

Ask your friends. There are some pre-set questions (verifying date-of-birth, previous teams, etc), a photo and height/weight. Little small talk and that's it. But its done by central scouts.

Kids are measured by central scouting at certain tournaments/games for a fact. i.e all american prospects game and some other events.
A kid can be 5'10 170 when measured by central scouting and his team can post he is 5'11 174 whether its a CHL, USHL, NTDP or a Liga team. They post whatever they want. EP tries its best to posts accurate heights and weights but they are just pulling data from wherever they can get it, whether its a teams website or a tournament program or wherever.
Most teams will fib a bit but none fib more than NHL teams.
I would think most kids come in accurate or a little bigger at combine to the last listing most of us have seen because they've probably grown somewhat since their last measurement. So even if their team was fibbing they may look accurate since the kid has probably thickened and maybe grown a bit.

If you go to a player profile on USHL site or app you will see in bios it says Height and weight verified by NHL central Scouting and will list a date. Every player wont have it but if they played a major event there is a good chance Central Scouting measured them. They can always decline to be measured.

Reactions: Favin

Polar Bear

May 15, 2018

Yeah, out of all the reasons to be impressed by Hughes, and there are many, a 3 vs 3 tournament probably ranks last.

Reactions: deflowd
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad