C Jack Eichel - Boston University, NCAA (2015 Draft)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
i dont watch american college hockey at all so thanks. So, is Eichels night as impressive as it looks?
Didnt watch the game but Eichel is 17 (10/28/96) so he would still be a senior in HS if he didnt accelerate classes. Playing mostly against guys 2-4 years older. Few may be 5 years older. 4 points for underage freshman is very impressive.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
His quickness is really starting to improve. That will be key for his transition into the NHL. Poised to have a historic freshman season as a 17 yo.

When was the last time a 17 yo freshman put up 70+ points? Because that's what he could do.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
The more I watch Jack Eichel the more I think he is the #1 player in the 2015 draft.

BillyShoe1721

Terriers
Mar 29, 2007
Philadelphia, PA

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
The more I watch Jack Eichel the more I think he is the #1 player in the 2015 draft.

It may not be a popular opinion, but I think the only way that Eichel has a real shot at 1 is if he moves to the QMJHL after the World Juniors.

He has two things going against him playing college all year. One is scalability (ie what do his point totals means compared to McDavid's and compared to previous prospects (McDavid's start is already being compared to Crosby's draft year start)) and his visibility (17 regular season games remaining vs 27 in the CHL season after the WJHC plus a single elimination tournament versus best of 7).

In the QMJHL, he'd either play for Saint John (which has a young up and coming puck possession team which could make him look good) or Quebec (which is guaranteed a spot in the Memorial Cup), likely his choice.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It may not be a popular opinion, but I think the only way that Eichel has a real shot at 1 is if he moves to the QMJHL after the World Juniors.

He has two things going against him playing college all year. One is scalability (ie what do his point totals means compared to McDavid's and compared to previous prospects (McDavid's start is already being compared to Crosby's draft year start)) and his visibility (17 regular season games remaining vs 27 in the CHL season after the WJHC plus a single elimination tournament versus best of 7).

In the QMJHL, he'd either play for Saint John (which has a young up and coming puck possession team which could make him look good) or Quebec (which is guaranteed a spot in the Memorial Cup), likely his choice.

If he had any intentions of moving to the Q he would have done it by now. This isn't a Charlie Coyle situation.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Did you not read his post?

Yeah. I offered an opinion. Is that okay?

I'm just saying I don't see him making a move like that after the U20s. He knew he was one and done where ever he played this season. His camp weighed all these options before he enrolled at BU. His family even met with Saint John. I'm pretty sure of that. Sure it would be easier for guys like us to evaluate and compare the two, but this is why the scouts get paid the big bucks.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Yeah. I offered an opinion. Is that okay?

I'm just saying I don't see him making a move like that after the U20s. He knew he was one and done where ever he played this season. His camp weighed all these options before he enrolled at BU. His family even met with Saint John. I'm pretty sure of that. Sure it would be easier for guys like us to evaluate and compare the two, but this is why the scouts get paid the big bucks.

No where in his post did he say that Eichel's intention is to to the QMJHL after the WJC, nor did he say Eichel may transfer... He was just saying that Eichel has a better chance to go #1 if he plays in the Q

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
No where in his post did he say that Eichel's intention is to to the QMJHL after the WJC, nor did he say Eichel may transfer... He was just saying that Eichel has a better chance to go #1 if he plays in the Q

Dude I know what he said. I don't disagree with what he said.

I just offered MY opinion. As obvious as it may have been.

I think that Gaudreau thread is getting to you my friend.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

I actually disagree here. I think pro scouts consider a program like BU and it's weekly competition on par with what McDavid faces day in and out in the OHL. It's not as much of an apples and oranges situation as it appears on the surface. That said, I fully expect McDavid to be the #1 pick and I don't think there is anything Eichel could do this year (even winning the Hobey as a freshman or destroying the WJCs) to change that.

Bjindaho

Jun 12, 2006
I actually disagree here. I think pro scouts consider a program like BU and it's weekly competition on par with what McDavid faces day in and out in the OHL. It's not as much of an apples and oranges situation as it appears on the surface. That said, I fully expect McDavid to be the #1 pick and I don't think there is anything Eichel could do this year (even winning the Hobey as a freshman or destroying the WJCs) to change that.

I don't disagree that BU is a quality program. There still remains a possibility that Eichel plays less than 20 games after Christmas at BU, where he could play 50 in the Quebec league. Also, there is a still the issue that the biggest offensive threat he`d get compared to at the NCAA level is Kariya (to whom he compares poorly).

I fully expect him to stay at BU, but I don`t think he can catch McDavid if he only plays half the games.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't disagree that BU is a quality program. There still remains a possibility that Eichel plays less than 20 games after Christmas at BU, where he could play 50 in the Quebec league. Also, there is a still the issue that the biggest offensive threat he`d get compared to at the NCAA level is Kariya (to whom he compares poorly).

I fully expect him to stay at BU, but I don`t think he can catch McDavid if he only plays half the games.

I'll give the pro scouts a little more credit than you are apparently. Eichel has compared himself to the likes of Jeff Carter and I think scouts can do the same. Just because he plays in the NCAA doesn't mean that's where comparisons start and stop. As for games played, Eichel was showing well against similar competition last year when he was with the USNTDP. He also had a very good WJCs as an underager. He, like McDavid is a known quality. I just happen to think that minds are made up where the debate is concerned and that's why McDavid will go 1st regardless. The actual talent gap between the two is very small.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad