C Berkly Catton - Spokane Chiefs, WHL (2024, 8th, SEA)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
He could be the best player in the 2024 draft.
You don't think Celebrini would be popping off the tape like this in the CHL? Seems a bit *too* contrarian. Maybe Catton is in the Demidov tier behind Celebrini but pretty hard to make the case that he's clearly the best without baseless speculation. I have seen you say you'd take him as high as 2nd, are you now saying he should go first?

If all you're saying is "one day we might look back and say that Catton is the best player from 2024," then OK... you're basically saying something pretty straightforward, which is IDing him as one of the top 5-10 ceilings. Fine, sure. Same is true of 4-9 others (roughly).

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
Many players could be the best from any draft , that's the thing with 18 year olds, there's still so much to be determined.

It doesn't mean he *should* go 1st, top 5 or even necessarily top 10 (not saying I personally believe he shouldn't)

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
You don't think Celebrini would be popping off the tape like this in the CHL? Seems a bit *too* contrarian. Maybe Catton is in the Demidov tier behind Celebrini but pretty hard to make the case that he's clearly the best without baseless speculation. I have seen you say you'd take him as high as 2nd, are you now saying he should go first?

If all you're saying is "one day we might look back and say that Catton is the best player from 2024," then OK... you're basically saying something pretty straightforward, which is IDing him as one of the top 5-10 ceilings. Fine, sure. Same is true of 4-9 others (roughly).
I’ve started thinking that the goal of 1OA is that you take the most skilled player in a draft within reason. I view that as Catton.

I know Celebrini will go first and has a good argument. Not meaning to be contrarian. I have a feeling Catton might end up the star from this draft, but that’s nothing against Celebrini. I think he’ll be very good and there’s certainly a good argument for him as first. I’d rather not have to make the pick. Celebrini would be safer. I think Catton would be riskier.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
No need to go overboard. He's not in the Celebrini tier. He's in the next tier.. and this is coming from someone who isn't totally blown away by Celebrini. I would be perfectly fine with taking him at 2. I don't think he has the 2nd highest ceiling in the draft though.

Reactions: cheechoo

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
Am I the only one who thinks he doesn't seem to be very engaged defensively? I never thought of him as a world class defender but I've noticed that sometimes he'll just stand around, waiting for the puck, not getting into battles or defending, just setting himself up to gain back the puck in transition. At times he doesn't seem to have much intensity when he is in the defensive zone, like he's just there.

Kind of feel that's keeping me from ranking him higher than I'd like to.

Reactions: Goldenhands

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Am I the only one who thinks he doesn't seem to be very engaged defensively? I never thought of him as a world class defender but I've noticed that sometimes he'll just stand around, waiting for the puck, not getting into battles or defending, just setting himself up to gain back the puck in transition. At times he doesn't seem to have much intensity when he is in the defensive zone, like he's just there.

I haven't noticed that being a theme in my 12+ viewings. Everyone has a bad shift or three but nothing that jumps out. In fact I always come away with that he's in the corners battling and is often on the right side of the puck as a center.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
I haven't noticed that being a theme in my 12+ viewings. Everyone has a bad shift or three but nothing that jumps out. In fact I always come away with that he's in the corners battling and is often on the right side of the puck as a center.
Yeah he's one of the better 200ft forwards in the draft. Tied for the league lead in shg with 5 and most shp at 7

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
Yeah I must've watched a bad game. Thought it was notable because Dobber said the same thing when I went to look up if anyone else mentioned it so maybe it's just a rare thing at times and not vindictive of his best.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016

He needs alot of work away from the puck. Alot of puck watching and not involved enough physically or defensively. He is on the ice for alot of goals against and part of this is him not really playing like a center, his 200 ft. game stinks.

I would add that he is definitely a soft player by comparison to similar undersized players like Brindley, Benson, or Helenuis.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Not a single chance, for all the reasons listed above. His skating isnt great either for an undersized player, isnt close to a kid like Jack Hughes who was much more dynamic and had better wheels.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I would love nothing more than Catton to be a future star, as he appears to be the one forward who will almost certainly be available when Montreal is likely to pick.

Then again, if he goes so high that he would be unavailable, it would open up opportunities for another guy to be there for Montreal.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
Skating isn’t great, isn’t a 200 foot player, floats defensively, soft. Are we even talking about the same player?
He is a smooth, agile skater, but it lacks explosiveness at that size. I dont think the skating alone will hold him back, its more the sum of his flaws that worry me. He is small, weak, not agressive enough on pucks. Not a great motor or 200 ft. game. He is pretty skilled though, but Ive never questionned his talent level.

Just to be clear, he is not a bad prospect, I just like the other fowards more including Helenius and Iginla.

I have Catton around 15th OV.

Last edited:
Reactions: Toene

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Not a single chance, for all the reasons listed above. His skating isnt great either for an undersized player, isnt close to a kid like Jack Hughes who was much more dynamic and had better wheels.
Didn't you say that Helenius skates better and is more skilled than Catton?

I swear we must be watching different hockey players.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Again, he's the 2nd coming of RNH. Not great as a #1 oa pick, but a very solid 5-10 oa pick. VG skater, very good but not great two way player, average sized but not small, skilled, but not amazingly so.

Kent Johnson would also be a decent comp, I think.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad