Bykov & Khomutov -- Why never played in NHL?

HockeyGuy1975

May 22, 2009
Anyone know why Bykov and Khomutov never came over to the NHL? I remember watching them play for the "Unified Team" in the Albertville Olympics and they, especially Bykov, were awesome. I think they were both drafted by the Nordiques. I know were both a bit on the small side and the NHL at the time was stuck in the mindset that you had to be bigger than 6'0 to be a good player. However, I also remember commentators at the time suggest that these guys didn't want to play in the 'tough' NHL and preferred to play 40 games a year in Switzerland. Anyone?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This.

Also, don't forget that these guys were in their 30s and approaching the end of their careers.

They were 29 and 30 when they jumped to Switzerland, so they should have had 5 good years left, each.

But yeah, basically it seems that they were happy to collect a decent paycheck in Switzerland for 40 games/year to close out their careers.

You also have to wonder if the state of the Quebec Nordiques circa 1990-91 factored into the decision, as that club was in the middle of a streak of last-place finishes and perhaps not too attractive to guys who were used to winning the Russian title every year.

In any case, you'd certainly think they would have been quality scoring-line NHL players. Anchored the 2nd line for CSKA for a decade, even outscoring the KLM guys on occasion.

Interesting that their linemate Kamensky jumped and they didn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad