Speculation: Building the Las Vegas squad using CapFriendly's tool

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
So I used CapFriendly's expansion draft quick protect tool and drafted myself a nice little Las Vegas team. Here's what would happen with the 30 players I got. What do you think? And what does your team look like?

SIGNINGS, DRAFT AND TRADES:
Brent Burns & Martin Hanzal signed as free agents in the summer of 2017

Leo Komarov, Shawn Matthias, Markus Granlund, Kevin Klein, Jake McCabe, Alex Petrovic all dealt away after being selected in the expansion draft for various draft picks/prospects.

Draft winger Klim Kostin in 2017 NHL Entry Draft.

LINE-UP:
Alex Killorn - Martin Hanzal - Josh Anderson
Michael Raffl - Andrew Cogliano - Dustin Brown
Darren Helm - Joakim Nordstrom - Klim Kostin
Erik Haula - Jordan Martinook - Devante Smith-Pelly
extra; Riley Nash

Calvin DeHaan - Brent Burns
Dmitry Orlov - Ryan Ellis
Esa Lindell - Trevor Van Riemsdyk
extra; Joel Edmundson

Marc-Andre Fleury - Calvin Pickard

AHL:
F Emile Poirier
F Matt Puempel
D Greg Pateryn
D Dylan DeMelo
G Laurent Brossoit

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
So I used CapFriendly's expansion draft quick protect tool and drafted myself a nice little Las Vegas team. Here's what would happen with the 30 players I got. What do you think? And what does your team look like?

Leo Komarov, Shawn Matthias, Markus Granlund, Kevin Klein, Jake McCabe, Alex Petrovic all dealt away after being selected in the expansion draft for various draft picks/prospects.

LINE-UP:
extra; Riley Nash

extra; Joel Edmundson

AHL:
F Emile Poirier
F Matt Puempel
D Greg Pateryn
D Dylan DeMelo
G Laurent Brossoit

They'd be better than my Leafs, that's for sure. :laugh:

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Wait... Why are the Sharks letting Burns walk again? By all accounts he loves being a Shark and wants to re-sign.

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
So with the pipedream of Brent Burns and Martin Hanzal signing with a first-year team who has 0% chance of winning a Stanley Cup - the team looks like a bottom 10 team.

Without these two players the team looks like a surefire bottom 5 team.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Wait... Why are the Sharks letting Burns walk again? By all accounts he loves being a Shark and wants to re-sign.

even if sharks cant resign him theres contending teams that will match a vegas offer... unless burns has an unknown gambling addiction cant see a 30+ year old guy signing long term with a team that has no chance of winning a cup

martin hanzal on the other hand probably wont get a huge money deal anywhere else and might be willing to go to the highest bidder.

personally... I see vegas taking a couple cap dumps in their early years to get a couple extra picks and make the cap floor that way. also see vegas dressing some fighters to give their casual fan base something to cheer for.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
All I want to know is how the hell you think you are getting Ryan Ellis

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Several players that I think will be protected/won't sign with Vegas on that list and it's still a pretty dreadful squad. They will definitely have an uphill battle. I think they need to focus on drafting guys they think can contribute as 3rd/4th liners and bottom pairing Dmen in the future while still being high character guys. Their high end guys are going to have to come through the draft. I would draft the youngest, highest character team I could and sprinkle in a few veterans to show them the ropes. I would accept that the team will be bad for a minimum of 3 years(5 years more likely) and just focus on having hard working, high character guys in the room.

HockeyShack

Feb 18, 2005
I like some of your choices but why are you helping the Kings out?

Dustin Brown? He is awful and signed to a long term boat anchor contract.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

LINE-UP:
extra; Riley Nash

extra; Joel Edmundson

AHL:
F Emile Poirier
F Matt Puempel
D Greg Pateryn
D Dylan DeMelo
G Laurent Brossoit

I see Burns staying with San Jose.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yes, no chance Vegas gets Fleury in the draft.

Pickard will be protected. But it's still strange that COL starts Varlamov so much more than Pickard, why.

Apparently many scouts from other teams are watching the AVS games recently. Oh, and he's also our #1 goalie so that's why.

LittleViking

Sep 17, 2014
Montreal
Minnesota: If they loose Haula it's because you have protect Coyle, Granlund and Niederreiter ... and if you have protect these 3 with Koivu Pominville and Parise (NMC) it's because you go with 7F and 3D, and if you go with 3D, 2 of Spurgeon, Brodin, Scandella and Dumba are unprotect.

Didn't think they will pickup Haula over one of these Def.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad