Value of: Buffalo's 1st pick (at 2nd overall)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Buffalo has so many holes that even if Dahlin turns into a generation player it's basely a start. Jets have too many already proven young 1s to re-sign.
This proposal will fill holes with players needed.

Wpg gets the 1st OA.

Buffalo gets Jets 1st in 2019 (top 5 protected), 2nd in 2018, Roslovic, rights to RFA D Poolman, Dano & Tanev. That's 2 picks in the 1st 2 rounds, 3 forwards & a NHL ready D that should reup cheap.

Sabres holes are in players that need to be gone so we can bring up players from rochester. Gorges, Bogosian, Moulson, Pomminville, Nolan, Lehner, Falk, Tennyson, need to be out. Guhle, Baptiste, Bailey, Mittlestadt, Nelson, Nylander, Ullmark, Dahlin/Svechnikov, in. We have a ton of dead weight. Too bad we are kind of stuck with Okposo, Pomminville, and Bogosian for now

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Package deal:
Buf 1st 2018 protected vs 1OA
Buf 2nd 2019 not protected
Buf 1st 2020 unprotected
Ristolainen
Moulson, expiring cap dump at 5.0

for

Andersson F (full elc in place, prior 7OA)
Buchnevich W [plays either side, next year is his last elc]
Spooner F - RFA
Namestnikov F - RFA
DeAngelo RD - [next year is his last elc]
Marc Staal LD 5.7 reduced to 3.0
TB 2018 1st and 2019 2nd [which can morph into a first]

analysis
Sabes trade down on Risto for DeAngelo, and give up the better picks, but they get good return at reasonable cost now.
Staal is not what he once was but this year was his best since eye injuries/concussions in past years; serviceable at 3LD playing 12ish mins per nite. Fully movable to most teams at 3.0 if nec. Moulson is deadwood,
The rest of it is known commodities for futures.
Andersson projects as top 6, which Buch already is.
Namest. and Spooner are middle 6 Fs.
plus the TB picks

After generational Dahlin, it is a crapshoot as to an elite player, which Sabres already have with Eichel. Buf gets depth on proven commodities with upside and Rangers gamble on possible maybe elite or superior/premium add with this year's high pick, while obtaining upgrade to RD, moving one spare log at LD logjam which is depth for Buf.

value?

uggh, yeah I'm tapping out.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Buffalo has so many holes that even if Dahlin turns into a generation player it's basely a start. Jets have too many already proven young 1s to re-sign.

Wpg gets the 1st OA.

Buffalo gets Jets 1st in 2019 (top 5 protected), 2nd in 2018, Roslovic, rights to RFA D Poolman, Dano & Tanev. That's 2 picks in the 1st 2 rounds, 3 forwards & a NHL ready D that should reup cheap.

We got ourselves an all timer here...

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016

Wpg gets the 1st OA.

Some of the offers people come up with on this website never cease to amaze

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY

Wpg gets the 1st OA.

Buffalo has to add Eichel and Mittelstadt to make this one more viable.....

Okay, sarcasm aside, not a chance. You don't get the #1 overall in this draft for your spare parts.

They're not horrible pieces - but not good enough to land a prospect like Dahlin, sorry.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
If I get 2 I'm sprinting for Svechnikov. Period

God, we don't have Murray to draft so we are gonna listen to so many thank you's before the pick. Murray's biggest upside was watching him get to picking in under 4 words. Was hoping for someone to run up, scream "DAHLIN" and kick over the mic stand.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Ah yes, the uneducated hockey fan proposals are rearing their ugly heads again.

"If I give you my garbage but I give you a lot of it then that is enough to get your quality. The more things listed on a page the more impressive it looks."

I want to buy your $800000 house but instead of paying you money just come to my yard sale and take whatever you want from the 50 cents and over boxes and we will call it a deal.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think it's pretty unanimous that Dahlin goes first.

However, if Buffalo lands at number 2 again, would you trade the pick for a couple more established players and avoid entering next season with an extremely young top-6 with a weak defense? Or do you stick with Svechnikov/Tkachuk/Zadina?

Potential Top 6
Nylander (21) - Eichel (21) - Reinhart (22)
Tkachuk (18) - O'Reilly (27) - Okposo (29)

That the left side has quite a bit of uncertainty.

looks more like this.....

Nylander-Eichel-Okposo
ROR-Mittlestadt-Reinhart
Girgensons-ERod-Baptiste
xxx-Larsson-xxx

If they draft 2nd they could trade down to 3-5 and then pick up a vet Dman plus that pick and pick a young Dman to develop in 2 years.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
You take Svechnikov unless some team is willing to trade you an emerging young defender under the age of 24 such as Jones, Werenski, Provorov, etc. I don't see any of those teams making that deal, so just take the elite winger who either can be played with Eichel or asked to drive his own line.

Reactions: sabrescupbound

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Buffalo should keep it and surround Eichel with an Elite Winger.

If it was certain to be 2OA post lottery, a simpler package could be made. I forgot that I think there is a vehicle so if Buf misses 1OA, they can't got less than 4 or 5 or something like that.

Zib + Zuc and the 2 late TB picks we have, 2018 and 19, 1st and 2nd respectively, latter may morph into a 1st
for
Buf 1st at 2OA

Zib = further pivot upgrade/depth, but would be awesome as Eichel's righty shot RW.
Just ask Kreider.

Zuc, expiring top 6 W plays either, can enjoy, see if extend or no, and option remains to sell as rental for 1st to contender.

Duddy

Everyday is
Dec 24, 2005
If the sabres trade 2nd overall, it is for a defenseman, not a forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad