Value of: Buffalo's 1st if 1st overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
This is the equivalent of trading the Eichel pick...

No, this is a lot worse.

Dahlin is supposed to be better on D than Eichel is at C.

Dahlin also plays LD, which allows him to play across Rasmus.

I'd love to just pick Dahlin, but I have to many holes to fill and picking 1 superstar prospect isn't going to get it done.

The only way moving Dahlin makes sense, is to trade a player as young, and as good now, as Dahlin could become in comparable time.

Think: Matthews, Boeser, Laine, Barzal.

Now, why would any of those teams trade those players? The only movable pieces I see there are Boeser and Laine, and in terms of value, a true #1 franchise defenseman is worth WAY more than either of those players if they all pan out to be close to equal in terms of skill. Teams don't move #1Cs ever, because they're even more important than #1D imo.

So, does Boeser or Laine straight up get it done for Buffalo? Of course not.

Do either of those teams feel comfortable adding a significant enough piece to make it equal? Of course not, because what if Dahlin ends up being a complete bust (unlikely, but always possible.)

If the pick is going to be moved, the only way it happens is if the Sabres want to move down to say 5 to draft Boqvist. For sake of argument, lets say Montreal finds themselves with the 5th overall pick, and we know that they need an LD, not an RD.

Montreal trades: 5th overall pick, highest of their 2018 2nds, Charlie Lindgren, Nikita Scherbak or 5th overall + Max Pacioretty.

Buffalo Trades: 1st overall, Pominville (cap dump).

That's the TYPE of trade you would see. Not saying Buffalo wants to go that route, but no team is going to pay out the ass for a draft pick. I could see a lesser former high draft pick player being offered with a draft pick (Arizona's 6th overall + Domi) but that really is the best deal Buffalo gets.

If they move that 1st overall, it needs to be packaged with a cap dump, and it needs to return at least a top 7 pick + other pieces that can contribute now, that are younger than 25.

But they're stupid if they move Rasmus Dahlin who would fill the most important role in their lineup after Eichel.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
What?? And who is the "Mcdavid" in this deal? My deal never involved Laine. I know you wouldn't trade Laine for that pick.
The guy you responded too was talking about Laine and was talking about a post where the other poster said a deal would be Lain, Trouba, a 1st in 2018 and 2019. Sorry if I confused the matter. My point was about that suggested return for the 1st overall, I thought you were on board with that.

I'm not a fan of either team and I don't think the Sabres should trade the 1st overall if they get that. I don't think there is a realistic deal that would make sense for everyone involved and the Sabres core is pretty young, Dahlin seems like he would be a great match for the Sabres.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
If they move that 1st overall, it needs to be packaged with a cap dump, and it needs to return at least a top 7 pick + other pieces that can contribute now, that are younger than 25.

That was exactly the idea of this post. When I made this post, I was trying to make a trade so Buffalo wouldn't have to go into another rebuild. Its probably not the right thing to do, but I really don't want to watch a shit show for the next 3 years. But if Buffalo gets that pick, picking Dahlin, and maybe trading ROR and Scandella is probably the right thing to do. There are to many holes in this team for a quick fix unless Botterill does something spectacular.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad