Value of: Buffalo's 1st if 1st overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
Probably the best that the Flyers could offer that would get your interest would be Provo + one of Patrick or Frost. That's an elite level YOUNG dman and either the #2 puck from last year or a prospect who took huge leaps this year in juniors.

However, I doubt that I'd make that trade because one, we know that Provo is NOT a bust but a bonified #1 dman and until Dahlin proves himself to be the next EK I don't think the difference between his potential and Provos is Patrick/Frost.

I still think that's a hell of a package for the Sabres.

Reactions: sabrescupbound

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Probably the best that the Flyers could offer that would get your interest would be Provo + one of Patrick or Frost. That's an elite level YOUNG dman and either the #2 puck from last year or a prospect who took huge leaps this year in juniors.

However, I doubt that I'd make that trade because one, we know that Provo is NOT a bust but a bonified #1 dman and until Dahlin proves himself to be the next EK I don't think the difference between his potential and Provos is Patrick/Frost.

I still think that's a hell of a package for the Sabres.

Good package, but I can't see Philly doing that. Provo still has years of team control and is already showing his potential. Although Dahlin may be the better pick, Provorov could end just as good or just may end up being the better player. And while it helps Buffalo, it doesn't help the team enough right now so they'd probably use the pick based on potential.

Last edited:

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Who cares of they are frustrated? They are locked in long term anyways. If they get frustrated my response is get better then...they aren't able to up and leave because they don't like the state of the team...

I hear ya but look at it from his POV. We drafted him to build our team around and in year 4 we're going to start another rebuild? Not that there's much he can do about it. As it's looking, it's probably the best thing to do though.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yeah if you get that pick you should keep it 1st overall picks if you give them a team around them can turn your franchise around

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Now, I'm Buffalo's GM and taking offers for the 1st OP. I'd love to just pick Dahlin, but I have to many holes to fill and picking 1 superstar prospect isn't going to get it done.

Here's what I want, and my parameters. I want a good defensemen, and a winger. I need them young to keep with my core. I can add to the first, and I can take about a 5 mil in cap difference. 4 guys I won't trade, Risto, Scandella, Eichel and probably ROR. I won't trade Reinhart unless it's an amazing deal.

Here's an example of what I'm looking for.

Winnipeg
Trouba
Ehlers
For
1st OP
And ?

I know this is a lot but just an example of what I'm trying to do here.
Something in the nature that fills holes now. So make your offers.

Jets pass on that easy, this is typical hfb love with unproven prospects. Jets are not in a million years trading a young 1st line winger on a sweetheart contract and a top pairing young RFA D and a late 1st for a completely unproven prospect. Would love to get 1st OA but it’s still a lottery and not sure thing. Easy pass

I get a chuckle out of some posters mentioning Laine and Laine plus.....pure comedy.

Reactions: iSophagus

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
If I am Buffalo's GM I draft Dahlin and I am grateful to have him.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Jets pass on that easy, this is typical hfb love with unproven prospects. Jets are not in a million years trading a young 1st line winger on a sweetheart contract and a top pairing young RFA D and a late 1st for a completely unproven prospect. Would love to get 1st OA but it’s still a lottery and not sure thing. Easy pass

I get a chuckle out of some posters mentioning Laine and Laine plus.....pure comedy.

He's not your typical unproven prospect. That's like saying Matthews, Eichel, and to some point Mcdavid were unproven prospects. Whoever drafts him, is about as guaranteed as you can get for hitting a home run. And to have him under team control for years is huge.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Who would the Sabres select if their draft pick ends up being somewhere between 2nd & 4th overall? Seems like the consensus has Filip Zadina/Andrei Svechnikov/Brady Tkachuk as the BPA, but your forward group is very good already...Would they select BPA (even if it's a forward), the best available d-man, or possibly trade down/out of the draft for immediate help?

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
That's not alot, think Laine, Trouba, 2018 and 2019 1st

Wow, that is really bad and totally unrealistic. Laine is worth more than an unproven prospect, even a prospect who is supposed to be very good. Dahlin will be lucky to be as good as Laine never mind the rest of this.

Reactions: Hunter368

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
He's not your typical unproven prospect. That's like saying Matthews, Eichel, and to some point Mcdavid were unproven prospects. Whoever drafts him, is about as guaranteed as you can get for hitting a home run. And to have him under team control for years is huge.

Laine is in that company now so that proposal is more like asking for McDavid, Draisaitl, and 2 1sts for Mathews when he was the top pick. It is a terrible deal.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Laine is in that company now so that proposal is more like asking for McDavid, Draisaitl, and 2 1sts for Mathews when he was the top pick. It is a terrible deal.

What?? And who is the "Mcdavid" in this deal? My deal never involved Laine. I know you wouldn't trade Laine for that pick.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

True, but we’ve all seen 1OA players fail. Plus with the lottery no sure thing we even get 1OA pick. Plus nothing guarantees he will ever develop into a superstar.....Very few players would return Trouba, Ehlers and 1st........very few. Again from my POV I would pass on that easily.....massive risk giving up two core young top end players and a 1st for a shiny magic bean no matter how pretty that bean potentially is. He would need to turn into a franchise superstar one day for the Jets eventually to break even with what Trouba, Ehlers and 1st combined add already. Easy Pass

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
True, but we’ve all seen 1OA players fail. Plus with the lottery no sure thing we even get 1OA pick. Plus nothing guarantees he will ever develop into a superstar.....Very few players would return Trouba, Ehlers and 1st........very few. Again from my POV I would pass on that easily.....massive risk giving up two core young top end players and a 1st for a shiny magic bean no matter how pretty that bean potentially is. He would need to turn into a franchise superstar one day for the Jets eventually to break even with what Trouba, Ehlers and 1st combined add already. Easy Pass

Maybe you would. The point of the thread was to see if there was a trade worth Buffalo to trade the pick which they probably won't if they get it.

But as far as that proposal idea, I was just saying IF Winnipeg offered something like that, I would probably trade the pick. The idea was Winnipeg would be moving some cap while basicly drafting a Victor Hedman.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Maybe you would. The point of the thread was to see if there was a trade worth Buffalo to trade the pick which they probably won't if they get it.

But as far as that proposal idea, I was just saying IF Winnipeg offered something like that, I would probably trade the pick. The idea was Winnipeg would be moving some cap while basicly drafting a Victor Hedman.

We don’t need to move those cap hits, those are the ones we want to keep. No chance the Jets give away the farm for a prospect no matter how good he was.....he’s still unproven. Ehlers & Trouba (never mind the 1st) hold massive worth. Ehlers is one of the fastest & most exciting young forwards in the nhl and he’s only 22 years old and signed long term to a sweet deal. Trouba is a rfa top pairing D at 24 years old and does everything well, we want to sign him long term this summer. Trading them both for a prospect that could easily fail would be franchise setback for years and Chevy career. I understand your idea/opinion and I’m just giving you mine opinion....there is no chance we trade that package.

If you said Trouba, 1st and a good prospect you would get some interest and more realistic but Ehlers being added is a game breaker.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Kings had a lot of holes when they drafted Doughty 2nd overall. Rather than trade the pick, they doubled down by drafting several other defensemen and signing a handful of veteran free agents.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Sabres should keep the pick if they get it, no short cuts.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Who would the Sabres select if their draft pick ends up being somewhere between 2nd & 4th overall? Seems like the consensus has Filip Zadina/Andrei Svechnikov/Brady Tkachuk as the BPA, but your forward group is very good already...Would they select BPA (even if it's a forward), the best available d-man, or possibly trade down/out of the draft for immediate help?

2. Svechnikov
3. Zadina
4. Hughes/Boqvist/Dobson

Tkachuk should absolutely not be a consideration for Buffalo.
Also lol @ our forward group being "very good." We have Eichel, ROR, and Reinhart. That's kind of it. Mittelstadt and Nylander could (maybe should) become very good forwards, and Evan Rodrigues has emerged as a nice middle 6 guy this year, but we're almost as barren up front as on the blue line. The whole team is a dumpster fire outside of about 5 good players.

DatDude44

Hmmmm?
Feb 23, 2012
Buffalo needs to draft rasmus dahlin then Rasmus Sandin in the 2nd and roll a future D-core w/ a TRI-FECTA of Rasmus's.

Trade for pacioretty get a veteran goal scorer in their top6 on the left side if they really want to take that step forward, DO NOT TRADE DAHLIN

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I guess I was just hoping we could avoid another rebuild. That's probably what's going to happen unless Botterill pulls some kind of miracle out of his ass. Here's to watching another 3 years of pure crap lol.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
A bit late to the party but isn't Buffalo the last team in the NHL that should trade Dahlin?

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
If this guy really is a Lidstrom/Karlsson hybrid, then Buffalo should not trade him for anything short of Mcdavid/Matthews...

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
I guess I was just hoping we could avoid another rebuild. That's probably what's going to happen unless Botterill pulls some kind of miracle out of his ass. Here's to watching another 3 years of pure crap lol.

Rarely have I seen nhl rebuilds cut short successfully by taking short cuts. You have a few foundation pieces already just build on that via draft and things will go well hopefully

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad