Proposal: Buffalo/Washington (Jeff Skinner)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
To Washington Jeff Skinner (4 million retained per season)

to Buffalo Mitchell Gibson. (or whatever 2nd tier prospect)

Skinner has a full no move cause, and there are very few places that I think make sense for him as far as trades are concerned. And Washington is one of a handful of teams (namely Washington, Toronto and Chicago) that I think makes sense for a trade.

The pitch to Washington is that "lets face it, you're more concerned about OVs record chase then the playoffs (and you should be, honestly) so here's an offensive minded winger that can help in this regard."

The Instigator

Tom Wilson - NHL All Star
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2010
I like Skinner, he's a good hockey player and he seems like a great guy. But if you're this desperate to get rid of him just buy him out haha.

pf8363

Feb 17, 2015
I like Skinner, he's a good hockey player and he seems like a great guy. But if you're this desperate to get rid of him just buy him out haha.
Better for the Sabres cap to trade him at 50% retained than to buy him out

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Skinner @ 5 mills for 3 years for a freebie?

Ok. Why not. He has 33-35-24 goals his last 3 years.

At worst we can retain another 50% and id figure Skinner at 2,5 mills is starting to really garner some interest.. This doesnt really handcuff us from anything or prevent us from continuing to re-tool. I like it.

Hard time seeing why Sabres does this though. You really that desparate to get rid of him?

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
We want to buy him out. The third-year cap hit plus the additional years on the cap make it a bit fuzzier. Retaining 50% makes it a lot simpler for us.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
No thanks.

Skinner is propably the furthest thing that Playoff teams are looking to add at the TDL so it's not like he has great value even with the retention. If he would, Sabres would be fine to take those assets for themselves.

Capitals need playmakers more than scorers. There are much more interesting FA options than Skinner @ 5m.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012

I disagree. Skinner can score some goals sometimes. Beyond that, he's a horrible lazy player. Even when he scores 30, still doesn't make up for his lack of defense and laziness. By getting rid of him, it would be an addition by subtraction.

Reactions: MisterT

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
He will go someplace, but what he brings to a team may not be as much as the fans want.

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
Skinner @ 5 mills for 3 years for a freebie?

Ok. Why not. He has 33-35-24 goals his last 3 years.

At worst we can retain another 50% and id figure Skinner at 2,5 mills is starting to really garner some interest.. This doesnt really handcuff us from anything or prevent us from continuing to re-tool. I like it.

Hard time seeing why Sabres does this though. You really that desparate to get rid of him?
Why Buffalo is doing it? They have a LOT of young guys in the pipeline (like 3-5 first round forwards in the past few years waiting to make the jump to the big club). They are thinking that a young improving guy with 1st round talent that will make mistakes defensively but will TRY to play defense is simply better than a 'kinda older' guy with offensive skills that brings nothing when his team doesn't have the puck.

I'm not big on the 'fancy stats' but there is one guy who generates them for players and on a scale of 0-99, actually had some kind of stats rating Skinner a ZERO when it comes to defensive zone play (see below). The numbers/charts he shows says you haven't, and will not get anything defensively from him, and his offensive numbers are good but starting to decline, and even those 'good' numbers are in the 25 goal area.

Watching more than a few Buffalo games, I think Skinner is still 'useful' but not as much as most say:

-I think you can count on him for 20-25, MAYBE 30 goals, but he is starting to slow down a bit with age (remember he's a small guy and a lot of his goals come from the front of the net where he takes a beating).....BUT you need to give him top line PP time and top 2 line minutes if you want that.

-Defense. Not good. Now, he doesn't make any glaring mistakes in his own zone, no giveways, you won't see him on the highlight real as the direct reason a goal against was scored. But that is because he simply refuses to enter the D-zone at times. I'm pretty sure that is why Lindy Ruff doesn't want him around.
I have seen Buffalo games, MULTIPLE TIMES where the puck goes back deep into the Buffalo Defensive zone...Skinner is a bit late coming back, and when he gets to the defensive blue line, he will literally stop and stand near the blue line. It actually DOES happen.

So Skinner is not 'washed up' and he has offensive skill and can give you 20-30 goals. BUT there is a big time trade off for that (you need to give him top minutes to get that and you will have a defensive liability when you do that.)

Attachments

• js1.jpg
    js1.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 1
  • js2.jpg
    js2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
There can't possibly be a "fair trade" with Skinner, at 4.5 retained. You can't look at it thar way.

With the NMC there may only be a few teams he'd accept a trade to.

A trade at half retention is better for the Sabres than the buyout alternative, that's how to look at it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad