Buffalo has to get a stadium series game next year, right?

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Bitter much? Buffalo hosted in 1998 and is one of the few cities to have hosted the NHL Draft multiple times.

Vancouver hosted the ASG in 1998. Buffalo hasn't hosted one since 1978, and that was the only one.

And yeah, we had the Draft a couple times, but not recently.

SuperNintendoChalmrs

Jun 28, 2002
Buffalo
The last thing you want is the outdoor games to become oversaturated.

If they become too common they won't be special and cool, and then they become just a ****** hockey game on bad ice

It's a Winter Gimmick... the Fonz is wearing a NHL jersey that's part Rangers - Flyers - Penguins - Red Wings - Broonz and he's getting read to jump the shark... but this time he's carry loony Bettman on his back.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Winter Classic + 2 Stadium Series games seems pretty reasonable to me going forward.

I'd expect something along the lines of:

Winter Classic
1 US based Stadium Series game, probably in a southern-ish location now that they proved they could do LA.
1 Canadian Heritage Classic game

I'd like to see 3 outdoor games a year, Winter Classic + 2, with none of them being country specific matchups. But I could see some segments of Canadians (coughCherrycough) raising hell if you took the Heritage Classic away.

Disengage

Nov 11, 2007
No. Buffalo served its purpose as proof-of-concept for outdoor games. The NHL doesn't need Buffalo anymore. It's going to be a long long time before getting another - I imagine that Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Boston will each host at least another half-dozen times each before Buffalo is even considered again.

The NHL doesn't like to have any moderately big events in Buffalo. When was the last time we even had an All-Star Game? You'd figure we were due one of those in the years after the FNC was built in 96, as is typical for teams building new arenas, but nope. Nada.

The only reason Buffalo got the first winter Classic was because it was an unknown commodity and a huge risk, and it wasn't a big deal nationally yet. If it was going to fail, at least it wouldn't fail in a major market.

I believe the lack of hotels around the arena was a big stopping point for the ASG coming to Buffalo. Hopefully HarborCenter can change that.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Winter Classic
Heritage Classic

Stadium Series in a "non-traditional" locale.

Three games, all they need to do every year. Everything else is overkill.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
I didn't know.

They could play it in October or April, I guess.

Nope. The Blue Jays games are typically under the roof until May unless it is a blistering hot day in April (rare) - even then I've been to a Jays game in April where its 20+C and they still have the roof closed.

If the Jays are ever deep in the playoffs in October, my money would be on the roof being closed. They really don't want the cold weather affecting any part of the stadium.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
There are talks to expand BMO Field to accomodate 40-45,000 fans so that Toronto can host an outdoor game, possibly even the Winter Classic (as opposed to the Heritage Classic) but I'll believe the latter tidbit when I see it.

To an extent I don't want Buffalo to host another outdoor game because it can't possibly live up to the atmosphere of the first one. It's hard to explain but those in attendance may agree. It was a surreal event yet at the same time it felt natural as if the Sabres and the NHL were meant to play games outdoors. Even the tailgating, at least where I was, was happy and festive with Sabres and Penguins fans uniting for a special event. Once the puck dropped some fans may not have been as friendly but the overall environment felt more upbeat and positive than a Bills game.

As others have mentioned the current roster isn't ready for a national audience in that setting. Give the team another year or two when we can showcase our talented group of youngsters. As a fan base we are deserving of another outdoor game. The team could hold a yearly game at the Ralph and draw a sellout crowd if the tickets were reasonably priced
but I think the NHL would have none of it unless they got a large portion of the revenue directly in their pockets.

The NHL should reconsider which venues host these outdoor games. Baseball stadiums are not suited to be hosting outdoor hockey games. They should only be played in NFL and college stadiums. The sightlines are better for those in the stands as well as the camera positions being better for those watching at home. They could at least turn the rinks sideways and position it between home plate and second base so the main seating area has a better view of the ice and setup temporary bleachers in the outfield instead of using the regular stadium outfield seating.

drew5580

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2007
If im being completely honest, I don't really enjoy these games. I went to the one in Buffalo, Im glad I did just to be able to say I was there. Looking back, it was New Years day, it was freezing, ice was terrible, game was boring and I couldn't see anything. Id like to see us do something more inventive. Like a midnight game on New Years Eve (I stole this idea). The whole outdoor thing is just played out to me

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
After HarborCenter is done, the Sabres will probably push to get a ASG here. The major sticking point is hotel/convention space for the league during ASG weekend, which hopefully will be solved by the HarborCenter. Assuming they make that push, another outdoor game is probably not in the immediate plans...

If Buffalo plays another outdoor game, I'd bet on them being the road team, though they would almost certainly have to be a playoff team. If the NHL are looking to put rivalries in these games, the Sabres would be hard to fit in given that any of our major rivals would probably prefer a game against a bigger rival for them (i.e. Toronto/Boston looking for an original 6 matchup, etc.)

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
They already are oversaturated. It's something for every city to see once or twice and then it's over.

And In Canada they have a heritage Classic....

If they do it for TV it may get oversaturated...but if they do it just for the home teams opts to do it...it wouldnt matter because the local markets of the home team would come out for....on national TV or not.

doing one in a home mark once every 6 years or so isnt that big of a deal that they wont do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad