Buffalo Bills Talk 2018 - The Offseason

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

By Matthew Fairburn | [email protected]

Orchard Park, N.Y. -- After months of picking apart his footwork, completion percentage and everything in between, Josh Allen finally took the field as an NFL quarterback when the Buffalo Bills started rookie minicamp.

The clock is already ticking on Allen's development and the rush judgement is already underway. But this is hardly the setting to judge Allen. Sean McDermott insisted that he only wanted to see Allen improve.
Right from the jump, the Bills quarterbacks coach David Culley was working on footwork and agility drills with Allen, who will need to develop more consistent footwork to fine-tune his accuracy. That appears to be an early emphasis of the coaching staff.

Once the football started flying out of Allen's hand, he looked comfortable. He was enjoying himself and bringing the type of leadership and energy the Bills want in their franchise leader.

"I was like a little kid again," Allen said.

Here's what we learned at Bills minicamp.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
WHY UNDRAFTED WR ROBERT FOSTER IS EAGER TO RUN WITH HIS OPPORTUNITY ON THE BILLS
foster-5-12-feature.jpg

Undrafted rookie Robert Foster is a former Alabama receiver who hopes to make more of his opportunity with the Bills than he did in Tuscaloosa.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I truly believe this defense is setting up to be dominant. The free agency signings+ drafting Edmunds is going to bring a huge boost to the pass rush and run stuffing. The defense last year was below average overall due to the fact that some games a team would run all over us and there was never a consistent pass rush. It seems those issues are resolved, and that secondary won't be relied on so heavily to carry load.

The offense may be a gong show, but if they can somehow be below-average-to-average than I can see this team going 9-7 or better. WRs look bad, O-line is a huge question mark but there is potential there especially in run blocking schemes, running back is still strong, TE is pretty good, and QB is a huge question mark.

If McCaron can emerge as a good game manager then will be sniffing the playoffs. If Allen comes in due to McCaron sucking then we're going to have to ride the wave of a young QB going through a learning curve.

That being said, I believe A LOT would have to go right for this team to make the playoffs again. Looking at the schedule, I'd wager the lowest win totals would be 6 and the highest win totals would be 10. I'll settle in the middle, and say they go 8-8. I have a lot of faith in the defense keeping them in every game.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
Jamal Adam's trash talking Allen about making picks from his "favorite" QB...how about you make a pick in the NFL first. Could care less what inferior DBs to Tre White say.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
How much will Josh Allen be paying attention to his fellow QB draft class?

Every quarterback draft class is put up against one another as time goes on. Who had the best career? Who won the most Super Bowls? Who wound up as the biggest bust of the group and who exceeded expectations?

For some classes, those comparisons start almost immediately because of the hype surrounding the group as they all enter the league together. That’s most likely going to be the case with the 2018 class after five signal-callers were drafted in the first round and thirteen of them were selected overall.

The minute Baker Mayfield, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Josh Rosen, and Lamar Jackson all start seeing the field we’re going to be analyzing and comparing them to one another on a weekly basis. But what about the QBs themselves? How much will they be paying attention to each others’ performances?

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
The Wake Up Call - Josh Allen: Part 1 | Officialize (7:13)
Former Wyoming Quarterback Josh Allen, who will enter the NFL as a highly-touted 1st Round Draft Selection, sits down with new Minnesota Vikings Quarterback Kirk Cousins to discuss his journey from college to playing at the next level.

The Wake Up Call - Josh Allen: Part 2 | Officialize (5:28)

Vikings Quarterback Kirk Cousins and former Wyoming Quarterback Josh Allen sit down and go over some highlights from Josh’s college career as he gets ready for the 2018 NFL Draft.

The Wake Up Call - Josh Allen: Part 3 | Officialize (6:58)
Vikings Quarterback Kirk Cousins and former Wyoming Quarterback Josh Allen hit the whiteboard and talk football. Allen, who is entering his rookie season draws up one of his favorite plays from college show Cousins, who is entering his 7th year in the NFL.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dingo44

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
NFL Insiders predict: Teams that declined the most

Which team declined most this offseason?
Field Yates, NFL Insider: Buffalo Bills. Note an important caveat: There is a long-term building process that was followed and not in any way compromised this offseason. The Bills performed exceptionally well in single-score games last season (6-2), which played an integral part in snapping their postseason drought. But it was clear they were not sold on Tyrod Taylor as the long-term quarterback solution, and they utilized their robust draft capital to select Josh Allen seventh overall. Factoring in the QB transition and offensive-line shuffle, Buffalo profiles as a regression team in the short term.

Aaron Schatz, editor-in-chief of Football Outsiders: Buffalo Bills. The QB situation is a mess. Even if you're a believer in Allen (I'm not), you have to admit he's the kind of quarterback who will likely require a lot of work to transition. The offensive line is a mess, too, with Buffalo's three best linemen gone via either trade or retirement. Football Outsiders' free-agency analysis also shows edge rusher Trent Murphy as one of this year's signings least likely to live up to the value of his three-year, $22.5 million contract.

So happy the Bills kept their 2019 first-rounder. I think most observers expect the Bills to take a big step back this season, and I suspect that they are probably right. That 2019 first could wind up being a high pick.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
The Wake Up Call - Josh Allen: Part 1 | Officialize (7:13)
Former Wyoming Quarterback Josh Allen, who will enter the NFL as a highly-touted 1st Round Draft Selection, sits down with new Minnesota Vikings Quarterback Kirk Cousins to discuss his journey from college to playing at the next level.

The Wake Up Call - Josh Allen: Part 2 | Officialize (5:28)

Vikings Quarterback Kirk Cousins and former Wyoming Quarterback Josh Allen sit down and go over some highlights from Josh’s college career as he gets ready for the 2018 NFL Draft.

The Wake Up Call - Josh Allen: Part 3 | Officialize (6:58)
Vikings Quarterback Kirk Cousins and former Wyoming Quarterback Josh Allen hit the whiteboard and talk football. Allen, who is entering his rookie season draws up one of his favorite plays from college show Cousins, who is entering his 7th year in the NFL.

These were really good.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Balancing Josh Allen

Over the last few months, the 2018 NFL quarterback class has been analyzed in every way possible. From the scheme that Baker Mayfield operated in to the personality assessments of Josh Rosen, the management of Lamar Jackson’s career, Sam Darnold’s mechanics, or Josh Allen’s completion percentage statistics, you name it, it has been analyzed, and rightfully so; it is the most important position in all of sports.

Brandon Beane and the Bills’ front office chose to fill their most important position with a QB in Josh Allen, whose analytics, production, and overall eye test really didn’t appear to match his 7th-overall selection. As Bills fans, we have all seen the 56.2 completion percentage over his 27 game career. We have heard people justify it by citing drops, a lack of talent around him, or even how a few more easy completions a game would have elevated that number to the 60% landmark. All of that may be true in some fashion, but I have not been one to argue any of the points or counterpoints.

What I will argue is that accuracy is the premier trait in an NFL quarterback. In college, that is not always the case. However you want to cut it, Allen will need to improve his accuracy and placement if he wants to have any sort of success at the next level.

Soon after drafting Allen, I looked back at my notes, and two notes in bold stood out:
  • Can lose control of footwork at times; which can cause accuracy issues when he needs to pull the trigger quickly.
  • Over-shifts weight or is off balance at the top of his drops, so he has to gather his balance prior to throws, and it doesn’t always happen smoothly, which leads to inaccuracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad