Buffalo Bills: 9-7, Marrone opts-out of contract

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Bills lose 24-17 to the Broncos and fall to 7-6.
(Thread's continued from here.)
Totally different type of challenge defensively next week against Green Bay, but this week's defensive performance at least gives me hope we can slow them down, especially at home. Green Bay's defense isn't as good as Denver's, hopefully we can look a little more competent offensively too (not holding my breath)

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Moral victory.

But most of these games are falling the Bills way today. Chiefs just went down. Need to cheer for the Golden Boy tonight! Bills will get their shot against Aaron Rodgers in a meaningful game next week.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Moral victory.

But most of these games are falling the Bills way today. Chiefs just went down. Need to cheer for the Golden Boy tonight! Bills will get their shot against Aaron Rodgers in a meaningful game next week.
Too bad Houston pulled it together against Jacksonville. A loss there and you could pull together a feasible scenario where 9-7 could get it done if Cincinnati collapsed down the stretch and Pittsburgh ran away with the division. And just imagine if the Jets actually held on vs the Fins! :laugh:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Too bad Houston pulled it together against Jacksonville. A loss there and you could pull together a feasible scenario where 9-7 could get it done if Cincinnati collapsed down the stretch and Pittsburgh ran away with the division. And just imagine if the Jets actually held on vs the Fins! :laugh:

Folk made 5 FGs today too. He couldn't have made the ones against Miami? :shakehead

But Bills have a tough game in two weeks at a suddenly hot Oakland Raiders team that has won 2 of 3 against playoff teams from last year!

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
True enough. Playing around with a few scenarios on the playoff machine and 9-7 would take a couple huge spoiler games from the Jets and Jacksonville to get us in (if you assume our wins are vs GB and @Oak but not @NE)

Winning out plus chalk elsewhere (as determined by 538's ELO ratings heading into this week) would get us in as the only 10-6 team (Pittsburgh would win the AFC North at 11-5, Baltimore would be #5 at 11-5).

Chalk would be (home team in bold and excluding obvious games):
WEEK 14:
New England over San Diego

WEEK 15:
Pittsburgh over Atlanta,
New England over Miami
Indianapolis over Houston
Cincinnati over Cleveland
Denver over San Diego

WEEK 16:
San Francisco over San Diego
Baltimore over Houston
Carolina over Cleveland
Pittsburgh over Kansas City
Denver over Cincinnati

WEEK 17:
Baltimore over Cleveland
Kansas City over San Diego
Pittsburgh over Cincinnati

I'll rerun the numbers when the new ELO ratings come out, but they actually have some leeway here and with the teams they're in competition with also losing I don't see it changing much.

Last edited:

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Not that I think they have a realistic shot, but I always hope to stay mathematically alive as long as possible just for entertainment's sake. Best case scenario is they are mathematically alive at 8-7 going to New England. They haven't had a meaningful final day since they blew the game against the Steelers sixth stringers. Even if it's a super long shot I'd take it.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Not that I think they have a realistic shot, but I always hope to stay mathematically alive as long as possible just for entertainment's sake. Best case scenario is they are mathematically alive at 8-7 going to New England. They haven't had a meaningful final day since they blew the game against the Steelers sixth stringers. Even if it's a super long shot I'd take it.
KC would have to lose at home to Oakland next week for that to happen. Unless you want to hope for the Hail Mary of a San Diego-KC tie in the final week of the season. If neither of those two things happen the winner of that game has 9 wins and the tiebreaker - even in a 3 way tiebreak situation, and *insert 1st and 2nd place AFC North team* is either going to run far past 9 wins or lose to other teams that will get to 9 wins and win tiebreakers.

EDIT: Sadly, Miami still has the tiebreaker even if the Bills beat New England and Miami loses to New England to both finish 9-7 via conference record. Their common opponents record will be even at 8-6 (Buffalo's non-common games were Cleveland(W) and Houston(L) vs Miami's Baltimore(L) and some ****** AFC South team (Jacksonville?) (W)

Last edited:

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
Folk made 5 FGs today too. He couldn't have made the ones against Miami? :shakehead

But Bills have a tough game in two weeks at a suddenly hot Oakland Raiders team that has won 2 of 3 against playoff teams from last year!

My good man, you may not call a team "hot" that lost 52-0 a week ago!

For the record, Mike Pettine is an awesome coach. He has handled every aspect of this season perfectly. His press conferences are great. And the lowly Browns are still alive. He might be the one that got away...

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
KC would have to lose at home to Oakland next week for that to happen. Unless you want to hope for the Hail Mary of a San Diego-KC tie in the final week of the season. If neither of those two things happen the winner of that game has 9 wins and the tiebreaker - even in a 3 way tiebreak situation, and *insert 1st and 2nd place AFC North team* is either going to run far past 9 wins or lose to other teams that will get to 9 wins and win tiebreakers.

EDIT: Sadly, Miami still has the tiebreaker even if the Bills beat New England and Miami loses to New England to both finish 9-7 via conference record. Their common opponents record will be even at 8-6 (Buffalo's non-common games were Cleveland(W) and Houston(L) vs Miami's Baltimore(L) and some ****** AFC South team (Jacksonville?) (W)

Yeah I haven't even looked into the details. Just hoping blindly. Nice work crunching the numbers. Appreciated.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The season is pretty much done. It was more fun than most years. It's damn hard to win in this league when you don't have a QB.

You know what sucks? Teams like Oakland and Jacksonville are in a better position than us moving forward. They have young QB's that at least have a chance of developing, plus they have high 1st round picks this year. The Bills have neither.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Yeah I haven't even looked into the details. Just hoping blindly. Nice work crunching the numbers. Appreciated.
Apologies for the shot earlier, btw. You were absolutely right on the pass interference call. Frustrating thing is if he makes a play on the ball rather than the guy it could have been 6 :madfire:

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
So let's talk QBs the Bills could take this year.

I'm going to assume that Mariota/Hundley/Winston all go off the board before the Bills 2nd rounder. Cook will be returning to Michigan St next season.

So out of these guys, who would you be interested in taking and in what round?

Petty
Prescott
Carden
Mannion
Hogan (lol, this would be the most Bills selection ever)
Grayson
Waters
Halliday
Other?

There are certainly some intriguing options, but not a "can't miss" guy (obviously). Curious what people who follow college football closer than I think about them.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY

I'm going to assume that Mariota/Hundley/Winston all go off the board before the Bills 2nd rounder. Cook will be returning to Michigan St next season.

Petty
Prescott
Carden
Mannion
Grayson
Waters
Halliday
Other?

There are certainly some intriguing options, but not a "can't miss" guy (obviously). Curious what people who follow college football closer than I think about them.
Alternatively, any interest in guys who could be available via trade (thinking Bradford and Cutler, here). or even free agency? Manuel's been ok in spurts. I wouldn't mind throwing the dice on Bradford and going with (a hopefully improved) Manuel as backup to the injury prone QB.

I was hoping Dallas **** the bed defensively and that JerryWorld would finally give up Romo, but that probably isn't happening at this point.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Alternatively, any interest in guys who could be available via trade (thinking Bradford and Cutler, here). or even free agency? Manuel's been ok in spurts. I wouldn't mind throwing the dice on Bradford and going with (a hopefully improved) Manuel as backup to the injury prone QB.

I was hoping Dallas **** the bed defensively and that JerryWorld would finally give up Romo, but that probably isn't happening at this point.

Jones loves Romo though, so he wouldn't give up on him. He passed over Manziel for a reason.

If there's any QB that could get run out of town, it's Eli Manning. Don't know though if the financials make that too messy.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Remember when we punted on like 4th and 2nd? Pretty cool stuff right there. :dropkicks Marrone out of the NFL:

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site

Petty
Prescott
Carden
Mannion
Grayson
Waters
Halliday
Other?

Too early still, but I wouldn't waste my time with a QB after the 2nd round. Odds are not good finding a legit starter in the mid rounds.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
I am happy that come December the games still had value for me to watch. Compared to other seasons, I'll take 8-8 or 9-7. Although QB is a place of need I dont see help coming on that front unless the Bills find a gem. Where serious inroads can be made through free agency is the O line. Let Pears walk, slide Henderson to backup duty for a year and build a line that does not do their impersonation of a turnstile every game. A King Dunlap or Iupati type would probably do wonders even if OL is not sexy. Can we steal some help in the secondary? Revis, Thomas, or Sherman would solidify the backend. I guess my point is you can work around deficiencies in QB, doubly so if that position is not fixable right now.

My main concern is RB. CJ could very well walk, I love Freddy but I dont know how much he has left in the tank and we cant survive both a middling QB and RB. Unless we want to inquire about Petersons availability...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad