Post-Game Talk: Buf @ The Champs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I saw it as potentially dangerous. Also, the one replay I saw it looked like Eller may have assisted him a bit, but it looked like he initiated the leap before Eller touched him.

I think he was trying to crash the net and didn't really have a proper plan. As you said Eller got him to pirouette a little bit but he seems to not land full body weight. Besides flopping on Holts it wasn't bad - no face wash etc. I bet his teammates are laughing at him after the game. What the f*** where you doing?

I was nice to see all 4 guys going after him. Notice no penalties were called. That is THE protection I want to see for ALL our players, not just Holtby. Everybody gets a free shot on a lunk head dork. Take it!

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Two straight 2-1 games for the Caps. Maaco must be loving it :D
Well I like sound defensive hockey. Not sure this qualifies. We were very solid for about half the game. The other half Holtby had to bail us out. The Sabres were the better team in this game.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
The other way around, right? The Caps offense has pulled his ass out of the fire several times this season.

Absolutely. He's been shaky at times this season and we won a lot of games despite it. He really came through tonight, though. I'm scared to check how many giveaways we had tonight. Grade A giveaways, if there is such a thing.

Reactions: marcel snapshot

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The kid left his feet to fly before the contact. the contact had him landing in the middle of Holtby rather than his head and shoulders. The contact helped him.

Edit: Looking at it another way. If they are saying the contact was the reason he landed on Holtby, then they are saying that he is doing a belly flop on the open ice? Not a chance

Reactions: Drakon

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Guys owe Holtby big time this one.

Gotta say, I don't want to see Buffalo in Round 1. No pressure, no expectations, ton of speed, no physical play whatsoever.

Eh, another one line team, I wouldn't mind them at all.

Good game tonight, Kempny was really solid. Obviously Holtby was the player of the game but the D played well overall.

Also Reirden gets a gold star for putting Stephenson back in. Thought the 4th line was really good tonight even though their advanced stats don't show it.

Burka is clearly being showcased and still barely got any ice time.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Holtby with a huge game.

And WTF was Dahlin doing jumping on 70 near the end there? In a previous era he would be dead right now.

Reactions: JenniferH

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Absolutely. He's been shaky at times this season and we won a lot of games despite it. He really came through tonight, though. I'm scared to check how many giveaways we had tonight. Grade A giveaways, if there is such a thing.
Its been more our defensive play that has been shaky then goaltending. We give up way too many high scoring chances.
Give aways is another inaccurate stat. They dont count every turnover as a give away.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
According to some posters from the "other side" their Golden Boy was pushed into Holts by Eller... not Dahlins fault :rolleyes:
Looked like Dahlen had left his feet before Eller touched him. Even if Eller did make contact first he was at the side. Contact with Dahlen from where Eller was would have made Dahlen miss Holtby.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
Looked like Dahlen had left his feet before Eller touched him. Even if Eller did make contact first he was at the side. Contact with Dahlen from where Eller was would have made Dahlen miss Holtby.
You should see how hard they're :dunce: defending their golden boy on the GDT mains.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
I think he was trying to crash the net and didn't really have a proper plan. As you said Eller got him to pirouette a little bit but he seems to not land full body weight. Besides flopping on Holts it wasn't bad - no face wash etc. I bet his teammates are laughing at him after the game. What the **** where you doing?

I was nice to see all 4 guys going after him. Notice no penalties were called. That is THE protection I want to see for ALL our players, not just Holtby. Everybody gets a free shot on a lunk head dork. Take it!

Thought it would of been a decent stage dive, but like doing one at a Neil Diamond concert.

notDkristich

Jan 27, 2013
Was at the game. Referee #6 had a heck of a game. Someone retire his whistle. Bura played tonight? The zone entry on the PP is awful, got back to what works.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007

Yeah the official stat is Corsica-Pizzas...

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Well hope we bring better than our Z- effort to the sens. Oh who am i kidding its the sens

The Sens beat Nashville on Wednesday. It’s a funny league.

This buffalo team is getting really good. They did an amazing job keeping Ovi off the scoresheet too

Conversely the Caps did a good job of shutting down the Skinner/Eichel line. I have watched a lot of Sabres games this season and that was one of that lines least noticeable games.

Reactions: Silky mitts

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Sabres went for the old ”keep ovie out of scoresheet” and it almost worked. Kuzy, Backs & Oshie need to do better on that PP. They had like three 3on1 situations close to the net but just did everything to not make them pay for it. Our PP is just not working now.

All hail the Beast. Holts is hot now. Damn. Hutton was really good too but thanks for the goal. Hard to believe this game ended 2-1 after all those breakouts and collapses. Fast paced game, Buffalo isnt faking it. They are getting there finally. Sabres prolly deserved to win tonight but im happy to take it after the loss for Pens last game where we deserved more. Long run.

Dahlin did than on purpose, but so what. It wasnt really ”dangerous”, just some good old desperation stuff. For us it was a good chance to really rough him up for it and make a statement, but we didnt. Whatever. Water under the bridge.

Sens next. Have a bad feeling the good guys will be a little too comfortable after getting the W today.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
No superlatives for how good Holtby was last night, especially since the guys in front of him were pretty sketchy. Saw every D but Bowey gift pucks to Sabres, with Nisky, Orlov, and Kempny continuing to make head-scratching plays in their own end, though Kempny is pretty adept at working hard to clean up his messes. But man, the number of Grade A chances we gifted the Sabres was pretty unacceptable, but for Holtby's lights-out play, we could easily have given up 5 goals

Was psyched to see Dahlin play (and skate), and there was one time in the 2nd when he was skating the puck out of the zone, and gave this little dipsy shimmy and the oncoming Cap forechecker was just toast. But his effort on Stevie's shortie was pretty lame, and whatever the hell his pig pile leap onto Holtby was, I'm pretty sure the number of shots he had to take while down on the ice provided the kid with a teachable moment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad