Confirmed Trade: [BUF/EDM] Ryan McLeod and Tyler Tullio for Matt Savoie

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I'm going to suggest something .... maybe they should have drafted a few PITA's with their top picks instead of a half a dozen smaller offensive minded prospects?

McLeod doesn't have any snarl in his game. He's a perimeter 2-way player with elite speed, but underwhelming playmaking and finishing.
Sorry. Mixed him up with NJD McLeod. Oops. Still happy to have him! Savoie is a great return for you guys.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Buffalo traded from a surplus of assets for something they were sorely lacking. Winning hockey games >>>> losing hockey trades. They want a team that's a PITA to play against, and Mcleod fits that mold. Edmonton got great value, but 3Cs with some snarl aren't cheap. Glad Savoie is going out west, atleast.
You clearly don't know McLeod at all..

He's one of the softest players in the league. There's zero snarl to his game.

Reactions: VaporTrail

Beauty

Jun 27, 2012
Savoie fell down Sabres prospect pool IMO

Personally had Ostlund, Kulich, Konsta ahead of him.

This immediately makes the Sabres better. 3C WAS A HUGE NEED. LFG!!!

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
McLeod is a good player for the Sabres in the sense that he is a great regular season centre. Great penalty killer

But when the going gets tough McLeod gets invisible - literally could not win a board battle in the cup final. Softest player we had up front by a country mile. Not one drop of grit

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
There is not a single gm that would give up a 1st ++ for Mcleod.

This trade is insane no matter how u wanna try to spin it. Savoie is a VERY high end prospect... This trade is just bizzare
Well your alternatives at center were:

Monahan at 5.5 mill (worse than McLeod), Stephenson at 6.25 mill, or Elias Lindholm at 7.75 mill, or Wennberg at 5 mill.

McLeod at 2 mill is an absolute bargain

I am Bettman

May 23, 2022
I don’t think you’ll find many Oiler fans who agree with your assessment or McLeod. He skates like the wind, and can provide some secondary scoring and PK time, but he’s not good defensively, and loses pretty much every puck battle.
I think they saw his height and assumed that he played a strong game because he was a third liner. Only 4 points in the playoffs while spending a lot of time with Draisaitl is concerning.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
I'm sorry but have you ever seen RYAN Mcleod play? He's the biggest pansy, who won't ever take a hit to make a play. There is no snarl to his game, never has been and never will be.
This is the typical Sabres fans mindset on these forums. They’re straight up mental.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
.. Then why draft him at 9th overall?
So they can trade him for the biggest need on their team….

I don’t get how people are so shocked at this. The sabres are absolutely loaded with talent in their pipeline. This is exactly how we need to use it. Fill the remaining needs on our team. A big 3C that very good defensively is EXACTLY what we’ve been waiting for.

Savoie has had some lagging injury stuff since we drafted him too which was slightly concerning. He’s overkill For us at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad