Value of: Buchnevich to Vancouver

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LuLover96

Feb 28, 2017
This is a player I absolutely love, and saw another fan talking about in the Zadorov thread. One year left at 5.8 million after this one means his cap raise aligns with when Kuzmenko comes off the books, and if we can include a player like Garland then it’s basically a wash and doesn’t impact our ability to re-sign Hronek/Petey/Zadorov. Happy to part with anyone but Willander and would prefer to keep Brzustewicz, but Lekkerimaki could be had in a deal like this.

So what’s the price? I saw a valuation of Garland+Lekk+2024 1st?

Mikheyev - Petey - Buch
PDG/Hog - Miller - Boeser
Hog/PDG - Suter - Kuz
Joshua - Blueger - Lafferty
Aman

Hughes - Hronek
Zadorov - Cole
Soucy - Myers
Friedman

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
As a Canucks fan, i'm not in a hurry to get rid of Garland at this point. Especially with Beauvillier moved out.

But i'd do that deal. Worried about what Buchnevich will be looking for on his next contract, at an age where you're going to lose that battle every time with those tail end retirement years. But in the meantime, you get 1.5 years of a top tier winger like that? Go for it. He'd be an absolutely perfect fit for what the Canucks lack right now.

I'd probably just roll him out with Pettersson and Kuzmenko. Push Mikheyev down to the 2nd line with Miller-Boeser and cascade PDG down to the bottom-6 somewhere. But he'd provide options, and exactly the sort of big two-way presence that either of the top lines could use.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I think most Blues fans (here) would be okay with trading Buch if the return was enough, and the Blues are out of the playoffs.

Vancouver has some good prospects but the biggest need is a LHD.

I don’t see an obvious fit

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
This is a player I absolutely love, and saw another fan talking about in the Zadorov thread. One year left at 5.8 million after this one means his cap raise aligns with when Kuzmenko comes off the books, and if we can include a player like Garland then it’s basically a wash and doesn’t impact our ability to re-sign Hronek/Petey/Zadorov. Happy to part with anyone but Willander and would prefer to keep Brzustewicz, but Lekkerimaki could be had in a deal like this.

Mikheyev - Petey - Buch
Hog/PDG - Suter - Kuz
Aman

Hughes - Hronek
Zadorov - Cole
Soucy - Myers
Friedman
The price for 1.5 years of Buchnevich, especially with retention, would be extremely high. Doubt you would like the price. The comp most Blues fans would point to is Timo Meier who was traded for 2 very good defensive prospects + 1st + cond. 2nd.

You'll probably find Blues fans who would accept a grade A defensive prospect + 1st, but Wallinder is off the table. So with that in mind, take your offer and remove Garland. If the cap doesn't work without including Garland, then vancouver could find a 3rd team to take him or pay additional value to St. Louis. to take on $5 in cap space for 2.5 years. Then add Brzustewicz and cond 2025 2nd (becomes 2025 1st if canucks make conference finals in 2024 or 2025). That's the type of value it would likely take...not sure if the exact pieces would be a good fit or not tho.

Personally, I hope the Blues can re-sign Buchnevich to a reasonable deal. I'll be disappointed if he is traded for anything less than a haul.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
The price for 1.5 years of Buchnevich, especially with retention, would be extremely high. Doubt you would like the price. The comp most Blues fans would point to is Timo Meier who was traded for 2 very good defensive prospects + 1st + cond. 2nd.

You'll probably find Blues fans who would accept a grade A defensive prospect + 1st, but Wallinder is off the table. So with that in mind, take your offer and remove Garland. If the cap doesn't work without including Garland, then vancouver could find a 3rd team to take him or pay additional value to St. Louis. to take on $5 in cap space for 2.5 years. Then add Brzustewicz and cond 2025 2nd (becomes 2025 1st if canucks make conference finals in 2024 or 2025). That's the type of value it would likely take...not sure if the exact pieces would be a good fit or not tho.

Personally, I hope the Blues can re-sign Buchnevich to a reasonable deal. I'll be disappointed if he is traded for anything less than a haul.
If the price is that high, it's an easy "no" in my book. It took Vancouver awhile to stockpile defensive assets, doubt Allvin's in the mindset of impatiently emptying his clip in an all-in move for another winger, as good as Buchnevich may be. Rather he played the long game and waited for an opportunity to get a big scoring winger for cheaper somehow, than trade 1st's and blue-chip futures.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Garland or Hoglander could be promoted as a top six forward without giving up Lekkermaki and a 1st instead. Is Buch a better player and fit? For sure. Is he worth the upgrade for .75 of a year of Buch? I think the Canucks should stand pat.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
If the price is that high, it's an easy "no" in my book. It took Vancouver awhile to stockpile defensive assets, doubt Allvin's in the mindset of impatiently emptying his clip in an all-in move for another winger, as good as Buchnevich may be. Rather he played the long game and waited for an opportunity to get a big scoring winger for cheaper somehow, than trade 1st's and blue-chip futures.
Fair enough, totally understandable.

Garland or Hoglander could be promoted as a top six forward without giving up Lekkermaki and a 1st instead. Is Buch a better player and fit? For sure. Is he worth the upgrade for .75 of a year of Buch? I think the Canucks should stand pat.
1.75 years*.

Blues can also retain down to under $3 mill AAV. The multiple playoff runs and potentially low cap hit are a big part of the reason the price is so high...but no worries if Vancouver fans aren't interested at that price.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021

Mikheyev - Petey - Buch
Hog/PDG - Suter - Kuz
Aman

Hughes - Hronek
Zadorov - Cole
Soucy - Myers
Friedman
No way we deal any of Lekker, wilander, or Brzus for him. Your nuts, Canucks need cheap ELC talent who can make an impact. Those 3 could be in NHL in a year or two

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
1.75 years*.

Blues can also retain down to under $3 mill AAV. The multiple playoff runs and potentially low cap hit are a big part of the reason the price is so high...but no worries if Vancouver fans aren't interested at that price.
I didn't realize he had an additional year.

Even with retention, another top six winger for the cost to upgrade makes me cringe. We are already low on top tier prospects, and even the perfect fit RHD would make me hope management carefully consider the offer long and hard before accepting.

I'm not saying the Buchnevich isn't worth it, or worth more even, but I just feel the proposal is too rich for a want, not a need.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I dont see a deal for Buchnevich happening without a defenseman coming back the other way. Blues have a ton of fairly decent forward prospects in the system like Snuggerud, Dvorsky, Stenberg, and Bolduc. Then add Thomas and Kyrou already signed to a long term deal on top of that.

Blues really only have 1 defensive prospect worth note and that's Lindstein, (tho, I think Buchinger, Loof, and Burns have a pretty solid NHL outlook at well). If Willander and Brzustewicz are off limits (which is completely understandable) then I don't see a deal between the two teams possible for Buchnevich viable.

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
I am not a fan of trading lekkermaki, Willander or a 1st. I like our team but we are not close enough to be considered cup contenders unless we add a top 4 RHD and another dman or top 6 forward, as much as I like Buch he doesn't push us into cup contender territory. Personally I'd keep the big pieces for now until we can make a trade that pushes us into cup contender territory.

Reactions: Nucklehead Supreme

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009

It is all an interesting thought exercise, but this is as far as I would go:

Garland has to go the other way, and even then we are taking on 900k that we can't really afford with still needing an additional RD. He has been a good player but we have greater needs. And the Pick/s can be conditional but not like you had them.

1) Garland
2) Brzustewicz AND Truscott rights
3) Conditional 2024 1st (if Canucks make second round) Or it becomes 2025 2nd and 2024 3rd
4) Plus New Jersey 2024 4th

I cringe hitting save because I HATE trading picks. GRRRR

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
It is all an interesting thought exercise, but this is as far as I would go:

Garland has to go the other way, and even then we are taking on 900k that we can't really afford with still needing an additional RD. He has been a good player but we have greater needs. And the Pick/s can be conditional but not like you had them.

1) Garland
2) Brzustewicz AND Truscott rights
3) Conditional 2024 1st (if Canucks make second round) Or it becomes 2025 2nd and 2024 3rd
4) Plus New Jersey 2024 4th

I cringe hitting save because I HATE trading picks. GRRRR
To me that’s an easy pass if you’re putting conditions on a 1st round pick.

We will get a better offer from someone else who would give us a 1st no matter what. That and a top defensive prospect are the only reasons to be moving Buch. So if that 1st has a chance of being a 2025 2nd instead, then it’s a horrible deal for us.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009

We will get a better offer from someone else who would give us a 1st no matter what. That and a top defensive prospect are the only reasons to be moving Buch. So if that 1st has a chance of being a 2025 2nd instead, then it’s a horrible deal for us.

That would kind of leave me relieved, because going up Garland, Brzustewicz, Truscott, a 1st and a 4th OR a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th leaves us pretty empty of any draft capital. Brzustewicz is having himself a dream season and we would miss Garland; so I say, fair enough and thank you:)

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver

I would do Garland, 2024 1st (unconditional) and Bru. Like the other poster said it’s more of a want than a need but I think Buchnevich would be the perfect addition to Vancouver. I wonder if that offer gets beat though.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
He’d be a great fit. Basically what Podz was supposed to be but already in complete form and elite. Those last 3-4 years on the deal could be crippling but if they think window is now then you could justify it.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
He’d be a great fit. Basically what Podz was supposed to be but already in complete form and elite. Those last 3-4 years on the deal could be crippling but if they think window is now then you could justify it.

I was under the impression that he had this and one more year at 5.8? Am I wrong again- geesh?

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
With what’s listed as hypothetically unavailable. There’s really nothing that would help the Blues enough to move Buch.

I like Bruscewitz. But in my mind there would need to be a lot more thrown on top of him. We need a center piece that projects more of a responsible top end two way guy versus an offensive puck mover.

Fwiw I don’t think the Blues front office really has much desire to move on from Buch. They seem to be putting a pretty big emphasis on building a culture and not bottoming out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad