Bryan Trottier vs Stan Mikita

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
Both Top 40 all time

Explain why one is better than the other.

Stanislav Gvoth or Bryan Trottier?

4175-89THNBT.jpg

55209-542-154SM.jpg

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Its close, but Mikita over Trottier. His peak was at least as long as Trottier's, both played great defense, both were tenacious, undersized, but Mikita won more Art Ross and MVP's and while Trottier has the clear edge in Cups Mikita was still a good playoff performer. It's just too hard not to pick Mikita. But it is close

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
I'll go with Stanislas.

Both great and extremely effective players though. I would put them both top 30 and Mikita top 20.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
You get it. As usual. And I respect your choice.

Comments like Mikita "easily" and "more dominant offensively" are humorous.

mod:delete

It's not really that close.

Mikita is miles ahead in offensive ability, and the "intangibles" are basically a wash.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Close means there should be an argument for either player being better. There is no argument for Trottier being better than Mikita.

Mikita's is the 4th or 5th best center of all time. The drop after #5 is quite large.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Close means there should be an argument for either player being better. There is no argument for Trottier being better than Mikita.

Mikita's is the 4th or 5th best center of all time. The drop after #5 is quite large.

If this was a poll I would vote Mikita. You dont think a rational unbiased person could ever think Trottier was better?

Trottier had much better playoffs and was a nastier physical player. Some people value that more highly than others.

edit: Lo and behold it was a poll.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
There is no argument for Trottier being better than Mikita.

I saw Mikita toward the tail end of his career. I assume you saw him from 1960 onward correct?

Forget me, there are some people on this board who will tell you that Bryan Trottier is arguably the best two way center of all-time, and without question, he is one of the very best of all-time.

As such, when one uses absolutes and makes extreme statement with such certainty to the extent you do in this case, why even other having a discussion?

You win, if that makes you happy. And again, on the assumption that you watched Mikita from start to finish, I respect your opinion, simply disagree. Nothing wrong with that.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
As long as that rational unbiased person is also educated in hockey history, no they would never choose Trottier over Mikita.

I dont believe so.
Given that everyone would pick Mikita was he really so many miles ahead of Trottier?

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

I would agree with you that Mikita is the 4th best center of all time. I assume #5 is Morenz? After that I wouldn't call the next best center (I'll say Esposito) a "large" drop off by any means.

Look Mikita wins this poll for sure. I'll agree but for some reason Trottier gets treated on this thread like an orphaned child. A minority of fans have called Trottier the most complete player of all time. High praise. He beat Mikita in the physical deparment and that's something we forget, how the man could hit! Plus he helped anchor a dynasty and I personally put a lot of stock into a player's contribution to championship teams. He won a Conn Smythe and pretty close to another one too.

Yes we all know that Mikita could bring it in the playoffs and his secondary support is often talked about as a reason his Hawks didn't win more. So he did his part for sure. And he was utterly dominant in the '60s and that alone propels him over Trottier. But give a little more love to "Trotts" he's an all-time great too

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
I would agree with you that Mikita is the 4th best center of all time. I assume #5 is Morenz? After that I wouldn't call the next best center (I'll say Esposito) a "large" drop off by any means.

Look Mikita wins this poll for sure. I'll agree but for some reason Trottier gets treated on this thread like an orphaned child. A minority of fans have called Trottier the most complete player of all time. High praise. He beat Mikita in the physical deparment and that's something we forget, how the man could hit! Plus he helped anchor a dynasty and I personally put a lot of stock into a player's contribution to championship teams. He won a Conn Smythe and pretty close to another one too.

Yes we all know that Mikita could bring it in the playoffs and his secondary support is often talked about as a reason his Hawks didn't win more. So he did his part for sure. And he was utterly dominant in the '60s and that alone propels him over Trottier. But give a little more love to "Trotts" he's an all-time great too

And, for the record, Big Phil, you'll notice that nowhere in this thread did I ever assert that #19 was superior to Mikita. I defer to those who watched both significantly.

This thread marks the first time that I've ever read anyone who did watch both speak of the two players in such dramatically different terms as two posters did here. I know that one poster making such dubious assertions was born decades after Mikita retired (and probably after Trottier retired). Still awaiting a response from the other poster, curiously.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
And, for the record, Big Phil, you'll notice that nowhere in this thread did I ever assert that #19 was superior to Mikita. I defer to those who watched both significantly.

umm...you voted for Trottier.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Right, neither did I. But it is closer than ush is suggesting.

Well, that was the entire point of my original post, which I had intended to be my only one! :laugh:

You've noticed, I kept out of the Newsy Lalonde vs. Messier thread, so as to avoid further brushes with the famed fictional writer.

Besides, everyone else in that thread seemed to take care of that latest bit of misinformed bravado quite well.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Well, that was the entire point of my original post, which I had intended to be my only one! :laugh:

You've noticed, I kept out of the Newsy Lalonde vs. Messier thread, so as to avoid further brushes with the famed fictional writer. ;)

lol, oh yeah I've been delvng into that one a bit. I know for a fact that Moose doesn't have the love that Yzerman or Gretzky or others might have but for whatever reason somewhere along the way on these boards I feel that Messier has gotten underrated if you can believe it. Hey if someone disagrees, well, that's hockey which is why we love it so much. But Mess didn't get his 6 Cups, 2 Harts by accident. But this is not the thread for it..........:sarcasm:

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
...I feel that Messier has gotten underrated if you can believe it. Hey if someone disagrees, well, that's hockey which is why we love it so much. But Mess didn't get his 6 Cups, 2 Harts by accident.

Couldn't agree with you more about Messier. But its myth perpetrated primarily by those who know him primarily from the last seven or so seasons of his career, when he was in his late 30s/early 40s. You know, those who know him as the bald-headed guy who did potato chip commercials.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Couldn't agree with you more about Messier. But its myth perpetrated primarily by those who know him primarily from the last seven or so seasons of his career, when he was in his late 30s/early 40s. You know, those who know him as the bald-headed guy who did potato chip commercials.

Hockey historians. ;)

Yes totally not fair to judge him then. And despite the controversy surrounding his Hart in 1990 the truth is, even if Bourque wins it, that's still a spectacular season (his best) and the voters found a way to put him in as a First Team all-star over Gretzky, Yzerman and a banged up Lemieux. Messier just thrived in whatever he did. Canada Cups, playoffs, New York, Edmonton. Even for those who hate Messier have got to admit there are precious few that are as decorated all time as he is.

I know you are an Islanders fan, but when I think about Messier I often think about the goal he scored deking Potvin out of his jock and past Smith in the 1984 Cup finals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad