Post-Game Talk: Bruins win a shootout????? Another 2 points in bank

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Daishi

Apr 12, 2010
I'm not sure but this late season streak with Pasta and Spooner gives the B's a little hope, especially considering how bad Soderberg is playing. Losing Soderberg at the end of the season doesn't seem all that bad now.

Bruins are still getting underestimated/ignored at the main boards. It's good to fly under the radar for a change.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I think people are severely under rating what even the lessened Chara brings. He is not playing like a HOFer anymore. But he is stll playing like a good #1D. He makes some gaffs related to his footspeed and agility. Doughty makes Hamilton like gaffes. Weber has trouble getting it out of his zone. Subban gets caught out of position up ice. There are no perfect defensemen in the NHL now. We have been spoiled as a fan base with possibly the two best defensemen of all time and then Chara, who is certainly top 20. Chara is still very very good. He size, strength and reach and decision making are all still excellent assets.

Exactly, easily.

I'd like to see some emotion from him even at the expense of a few penalties. Barring a massive winning or losing streak we are going to make the playoffs as the #8.

Right now McQuaid is the only one with the least bit of toughness. Lucic has had what, 3 fights, with two being personal revenge fights, none being in defense of a teammate or to get the team going. The Stewart fight just never made sense either.

We need some more toughness out of the squad we have. It's not coming externally and these guys still should have enough of it.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
A few points:

+ They have to do something with Bartowski. Another abyssal penalty at the wrong time? Bruins can't afford to have him on D while he's handling the puck like a grenade.

+ Bruins are very lucky to have 4 points out of 4 in these two games. Tuuuuuuuuuk really save their beacon in the 2nd period of both game. Bruins need to play 60 min. You don't get away with that kind of stuff very long.

+ Spooner is forcing Clode's and the entire FO hand. I want this guy in the lineup for the rest of the year; he's turning into a very decent NHL'ers right in front of our eyes.. He's a better option then some vets on this team.

+Soda? No goal in the last 20 games.... Not sure if he's trying to beat Paille at the " longest scoring drought " contest but he need to contribute. No doubt that he's sound defensively but we need more from him. Tough call when it becomes to re-sign him in the offseason; especially with Da Spoonah guy emerging.

+ Not sure what's happening with Chara but his giveaway to Stamkos was.... well.... kind of disturbing. If he's not hurt, the Bruins need to make a long and hard thinking about the big guy.

+ Not hearing a lot from the " Rask is an overpaid thug " club lately. Since the end of December, Rask is the only reason why the Bruins are in the playoffs. That's why you pay a guy 7 per: to deliver.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
A few points:

+ They have to do something with Bartowski. Another abyssal penalty at the wrong time? Bruins can't afford to have him on D while he's handling the puck like a grenade.

+ Bruins are very lucky to have 4 points out of 4 in these two games. Tuuuuuuuuuk really save their beacon in the 2nd period of both game. Bruins need to play 60 min. You don't get away with that kind of stuff very long.

+ Spooner is forcing Clode's and the entire FO hand. I want this guy in the lineup for the rest of the year; he's turning into a very decent NHL'ers right in front of our eyes.. He's a better option then some vets on this team.

+Soda? No goal in the last 20 games.... Not sure if he's trying to beat Paille at the " longest scoring drought " contest but he need to contribute. No doubt that he's sound defensively but we need more from him. Tough call when it becomes to re-sign him in the offseason; especially with Da Spoonah guy emerging.

+ Not sure what's happening with Chara but his giveaway to Stamkos was.... well.... kind of disturbing. If he's not hurt, the Bruins need to make a long and hard thinking about the big guy.

+ Not hearing a lot from the " Rask is an overpaid thug " club lately. Since the end of December, Rask is the only reason why the Bruins are in the playoffs. That's why you pay a guy 7 per: to deliver.

Luck will always have some role in the game, imagine the Habbies without Price? Their recipe of expecting their goalie to save their arses has looked like it might have a few cracks in the pavement recently.

Rask has played phenomenally well, as you stated since December

Z`s giveaway was brutal, it`s also not an uncommon thing when Stamkos is around, puck seems to follow him but still, big Z needs to make the right play there

Either way, this team is hardly playing flawless hockey, but they are getting the pts so I won`t complain

If the Habs are in the B`s heads as some insist, has to be true the same can be said that the B`s are in the Bolts heads

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
First game of the season where I watched Seids take that puck and then take the blueline and looking confident enough with it to try and take the puck deep

good signs

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Not a fan myself, though I'm happy they came out on the right side for once.

Julien, post-game, said they work on the shootout in practice and that they do much better than in games, so it's pretty obvious it's a mental thing. He said he told the guys before the SO to just have fun. Looks like it worked. And yeah, he said he still hates the SO too. :laugh:

That's because it's a stupid gimmick that generally awards a team points based on who has the best guys in the skills competition. I know few fans of hockey that like the shootout.

I also think it's probably much easier to score during practice in a shootout-game situation is different.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
That's because it's a stupid gimmick that generally awards a team points based on who has the best guys in the skills competition. I know few fans of hockey that like the shootout.

I also think it's probably much easier to score during practice in a shootout-game situation is different.

Hab fans probably the only one`s based on all the pts they have received;)

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Where is the poster David Krejci to take his medicine? He said a month ago the Bruins sucked and I told him the Bruins had a big run in them in March.

Conveniently quiet

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
Spooner is forcing Clode's and the entire FO hand. I want this guy in the lineup for the rest of the year; he's turning into a very decent NHL'ers right in front of our eyes.. He's a better option then some vets on this team.

It already sounds like they're rushing Krejci back so any momentum created by this line will disappear because they feel Krejci HAS to be there. So if they bomb out in the playoffs, it will be "oh he was rusty". Fine, then don't play him. I could see if they started sucking THEN you put Krejci in (in the hopes that will change things, a la Seguin in 2011 vs TB) but nope, they will continue to piss into the wind, get it all over themselves and claim it's not their fault. Hopefully not, but they are just too predicable when it comes to this.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Luck will always have some role in the game, imagine the Habbies without Price? Their recipe of expecting their goalie to save their arses has looked like it might have a few cracks in the pavement recently.

Z`s giveaway was brutal, it`s also not an uncommon thing when Stamkos is around, puck seems to follow him but still, big Z needs to make the right play there

Either way, this team is hardly playing flawless hockey, but they are getting the pts so I won`t complain

If the Habs are in the B`s heads as some insist, has to be true the same can be said that the B`s are in the Bolts heads

Mistakes happen. Can't believe all the nuts coming out wanting to trade him after that brain fart. BTW what was Hamilton trying to do on that play? Stay on your feet boy and finish your check on Stamkos. If he scores on the shot, at least you make him pay for it. Don't go down so early and over commit :help:

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Just wanted to comment on Clode going with spoons and pasta for 3v3...

Think it happened because those 2 are probably most talented and fastest + Clode probably thought I rather go for it in OT vs another shootout loss.

I liked the decision.

Pie O My

May 26, 2010
Shawmut Center
In Tuukka we trust. Anything is possible when this guy is hot

agreed. and that's why it's essential to get him rested up for the playoffs. He's on pace for over 68 games in regular season. He's never played more than 58. I say Clode just accepts the fact that we're going to be the 8th seed and start playing Sveddy A LOT more in the last month of the season. If Panthers show signs of making a run, play Rask a couple of games in a row, otherwise Sveddy and bust. I'd start this weekend with Sved going back to back. We've got a 6 point cushion so any points we get over the weekend are a bonus. Going all out to catch the Caps by over playing Rask is very short sighted.

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
We are only 5 points behind Detroit right now.

We may not get stuck playing Montreal afterall.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009

Residing in MTL I will do my best to see that there is a shortage of asphalt until September.;)

Some good points you have made and I have been advocating this as well that our D needs to clean up some of these bone head plays that are very becoming annoying game after game.
They have looked better in certain periods of certain games but they have yet to put a full game that I could recall of 60 minutes of great D play as a D unit.
There always mistakes that occur during a fast played game ut it seems our D has the talent to create ones when there should not be one....frustrating to watch at times.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The view from Tampa Bay

Lightning falls to Bruins in shootout

BOSTON — The Lightning thought it had a chance to finally snap its Beantown Curse on Thursday.

"That game could have gone either way," captain Steven Stamkos said.

After battling back from two one-goal deficits against the Bruins — including one in the third — Tampa Bay had a power play in overtime. But Stamkos' stick snapped on a one-timer, and he got a 10-minute misconduct when he tossed half of the broken stick over the boards. The penalty made him ineligible for the shootout that followed.

"A little bit frustrated," Stamkos said.

Its been like that for the Lightning at TD Garden, Tampa Bay's house of horrors.

Bolts can’t shake Beantown curse, lose to Bruins in shootout

BOSTON — The curse continues.

Despite a strong effort, the Tampa Bay Lightning remain winless in Boston in the past 10 trips after a 3-2 shootout loss to the Bruins at TD Garden.

Patrice Bergeron and Brad Marchand scored in the skills competition to give the Bruins the extra point and keep the Lightning winless (0-9-1) in the past 10 trips. Tampa Bay’s last point gained at TD Garden came on March 25, 2010, which was also the last Lightning victory.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Mistakes happen. Can't believe all the nuts coming out wanting to trade him after that brain fart. BTW what was Hamilton trying to do on that play? Stay on your feet boy and finish your check on Stamkos. If he scores on the shot, at least you make him pay for it. Don't go down so early and over commit :help:

You can't believe it? I see you're new here. ;)

OutspokenMinority*

A few points:

i was actually thinking to myself during the game that Bart had cleaned up his game really well. i think he's coming along pretty well at this point. he'll always have a higher than average number of gaffes but i think it's tolerable now.

as for Rask, he's playing the best i've seen him play. supremely confident and locked in. it's fascinating to just focus on him sometimes.

however barring a Cup win, i still believe the contract was 20% too much.

Cup wins make every contract "just right".

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
With Bart-Hamilton-Krug, the Bruins have one good D on each pairing to skate the puck up ice. The problem is the passing. They, as well as Chara-Seids-McQuaid, are not very good. Hamilton is the best but makes many bad passes each games.

That is what needs to improve on this unit. Breakout passes. Morrow has been the best this year at it and should be part of the solution for the futur.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad