Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals/Rumours '17 - '18 II (post 'em here)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Your a real Beauty.:help:

The conversation was about Krugs value on the PP which you brought up. :banghead:

You're**

You must have missed my opening comment. "While Krug may not be one of their top point producers on the PP this season, he's 5th on the team in points, first for defenseman."

Reading comprehension is difficult, eh? I'm showing that just because Krug isn't a top producer on the PP so far, he's still a top producer on the team, in general. I also did not bring up Krug's value on the PP. That was BadBruins. I was just showing another view on Krug and his situation here. At the end of the day, Krug is the top producer on the back-end.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
What are you talking about? Krug is 5th on the Bruins for points, and 1st for defenseman? Marchand, Pastrnak, Bergeron, Heinen and Krug. Maybe stat check before you make comments. :laugh:

Also, I know that McAvoy brings more to the table than Krug. One is a star #1 defenseman in the making, and the other is a good 2nd pairing offensive defenseman. I'm responding to what the poster brought up.

I'm fine with moving Krug, but moving him for a forward is stupid. Only way it makes sense is if he's included in a deal for an upgrade at the LHD position.

Wow!!!

Unbelievable You've been debating back and forth but yet you agree with the original post.:shakehead

Reactions: ORR2Sanderson2ORR

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Wow!!!

Unbelievable You've been debating back and forth but yet you agree with the original post.:shakehead

That's always been my stance. Krug should be dealt if they're getting an upgrade on LHD back. So even if you agree with someone on one thing, you can't debate with them on other points they make? LOL

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
The bruins now have McAvoy who can man the pp, Marchand rarely saw PP duty under Juilen nor did Pastrnak which was insane. Krug is a great on the pp and other teams will covet him for that skill but the Bruins are being coached with a lot more freedom to create offense under Cassidy and he actually plays skilled players like Marchy and Pasta on the PP.

Lets take this yr alone since this is the year were talking about. Pastrnak leads the Bruins with 14 pp points followed by Marchands 10, Bergeron9, Heinen 8, Krejci8 and then McAvoy with 6. There's no Krug listed there in the top 6 pt producers on the PP, he's not even the top leading defenseman.

So yes Id say the Bruins can more than fill the void of Krug not being on the PP.

Again, recency bias and small sample sizes. I'm looking at a large body of work spanning his career and hundreds of games. I know this is a what have you done for me lately message board, but I remember what it was like pre-Krug. Even when he's been injured, you really notice the lack of offensive presence from the back end. Whether it's 5 on 5 or on the PP.

I agree with you on McAvoy. Great teams have more than one defenseman with dynamic range in the offensive zone though.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
That's always been my stance. Krug should be dealt if they're getting an upgrade on LHD back. So even if you agree with someone on one thing, you can't debate with them on other points they make? LOL

debates are good on an opinion based forum. i often debate against extreme pov even if im on the same basic side of the argument. i want to champion being fair and sometimes i even argue against what id prefer simply because i think things are headed in the other direction.

so i say you should be able to have a complex pov and you should be allowed to qualify your position based on paramaters.

i actually think i do the same about krug. id have NO PROBLEM AT ALL WITH KRUG IF HE WAS HALF HIS SALARY. for me the entire thing comes down to not thinking he can step up into a bigger role. when hes protected, i think hes quite ok

since this is a trade forum ill throw one in... this is a 3 way and improbable since it involves edmonton

krug to chicago for seabrook 1/2 retained and a second rounder

then seabrook at the caphit of 3.44 and spooner to edmonton for sekera at his 5.5 cap hit, maroon, and oiler second rounder

oilers get a leader and balance their right shot defense while adding a quick forward to help macdavid and save cap room

chicago retools some and get a boost to their offense and pp

for boston out goes krug, spooner in comes sekera and maroon who are a bit better for our playoff push but also 2 second round picks in a deep draft.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
debates are good on an opinion based forum. i often debate against extreme pov even if im on the same basic side of the argument. i want to champion being fair and sometimes i even argue against what id prefer simply because i think things are headed in the other direction.

so i say you should be able to have a complex pov and you should be allowed to qualify your position based on paramaters.

i actually think i do the same about krug. id have NO PROBLEM AT ALL WITH KRUG IF HE WAS HALF HIS SALARY. for me the entire thing comes down to not thinking he can step up into a bigger role. when hes protected, i think hes quite ok

since this is a trade forum ill throw one in... this is a 3 way and improbable since it involves edmonton

krug to chicago for seabrook 1/2 retained and a second rounder

then seabrook at the caphit of 3.44 and spooner to edmonton for sekera at his 5.5 cap hit, maroon, and oiler second rounder

oilers get a leader and balance their right shot defense while adding a quick forward to help macdavid and save cap room

chicago retools some and get a boost to their offense and pp

for boston out goes krug, spooner in comes sekera and maroon who are a bit better for our playoff push but also 2 second round picks in a deep draft.

Going from Krug to Sekera is a complete downgrade. You're getting older, taking on more cap hit, and acquiring a player going the wrong way in his career and one who will hold a lot less value than krug does. Even getting a couple 2nd's out of it? No thanks. Also, Maroon walks at season's end. You just traded two controlled assets in Krug and Spooner for a UFA-To-Be who isn't going to be worth signing and a guy entering the back-nine of his career coming off a serious injury. He tore his ACL.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
FWIW, Torey Krug and Matt Grzelcyk both have solid advanced stats, with the notable edge going to Krug. So, while the eye test may tell us that Grzelcyk is stronger defensively than Krug, there is no data, aside from +/- to back this up. Neither player is an obvious choice as a defensive top 4D. But both drive positive possession stats when they are on the ice, so I am not convinced that Krug is as bad as a few of you are saying nor am I convinced that Grzelcyk would be better than Krug defensively, if you gave him top 4 minutes.

Also, while there are notable cases of Krug coughing up the puck at inopportune times, this seems to be an anomaly for the 2017-18 season. Considering his TOI, he is relatively reliable with the puck. He isn't even in the top 100 players for "giveaways" and several name brand top players give up the puck a lot more than they cause turnovers the other way. It's a weird stat.

The reality is that the Bruins are using Krug the way he should be used (70% o-zone start vs. 30% d-zone start) and they are winning because of it. Not only is Krug racking up points, but the players skating with him have an 11% shooting percentage for the season. Why? Most likely because Krug is another scoring threat and defenders need to keep him in check at all times. Replace him with Grzelcyk and that shooting percentage would likely drop over time, since he doesn't shoot as often. That is an assumption, but I think it is accurate.

So, folks who propose trading Krug for a forward should keep in mind that taking Krug out of the equation will actually weaken the team in the O-zone. Also, since his possession numbers are very positive, there is little evidence that they will be any stronger replacing Krug with Grzelcyk.

If the Bruins were to trade Krug for an upgrade at LHD - essentially replacing Krug's own spot - they should look for a two-way defender who can skate, shoot the puck and defend. Teams don't generally part with those pieces...but that is a possible move.

Lastly, whoever it was that commented on the Bruins/Pitt game and how Mike Sullivan was rushing to send out their top dogs whenever Krug was on the ice...

Krug finished with a +1 and 17 mins played
Grzelcyk finished with a team low -2 and 16 mins played

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Going from Krug to Sekera is a complete downgrade. You're getting older, taking on more cap hit, and acquiring a player going the wrong way in his career and one who will hold a lot less value than krug does. Even getting a couple 2nd's out of it? No thanks. Also, Maroon walks at season's end. You just traded two controlled assets in Krug and Spooner for a UFA-To-Be who isn't going to be worth signing and a guy entering the back-nine of his career coming off a serious injury. He tore his ACL.

Spooner is a controlled asset but how many here want him above heinen next season? Above debrusk? Above bjork? Above cehlarik? Above jfk? Even above donato?

If spooner cost 3 mill to keep under control does it make sense to put him in the lineup above any of these kids?

If spooner has trade value we should not worry about next year. Focus on this year. He shouldnt be in next years plans

Honestly im not convinced his hot streak will continue either. Right now hes sort of tagging along with a very hot team. Dont get me wrong, i think hes looked quite good for 15 games. But ive seen this before

Meanwhile i am worried bjork and cehlerik are being denied an oppotunity

Im also worried we are a bit small to compete at playoff time

And i think krejci does good with bigger slower wingers

To me maroon being a pending ufa is a good think. And sekera being a guy who does handle 22 mins a night against top offense units and can play pp and pk doesnt make him an overall downgrade. Just no where near as good offensively but still better than average

My trade is farfetched but if it happened i do think it helps our chess game both short term and sets the table for long game too

Reactions: pineapplestastegood

BigBadBears

Jun 13, 2014
One big poker game .Their just raising the stakes on the Penguins.

The risk for Kane is worth it. A top 6 Power forward is what this team needs. Especially when the playoffs come around. My gut says the leadership hear could potentially help Kane, especially at an older age.

If I am the bruins I start with a 2nd plus a prospect based on how well drafting has been recently. Arguing a Sweeney prospect offsets dropping to a second rounder.

Then add a top 4 LHD and this team is a true cup contender.

pkunit

Jun 18, 2010
Calgary
The risk for Kane is worth it. A top 6 Power forward is what this team needs. Especially when the playoffs come around. My gut says the leadership hear could potentially help Kane, especially at an older age.

If I am the bruins I start with a 2nd plus a prospect based on how well drafting has been recently. Arguing a Sweeney prospect offsets dropping to a second rounder.

I prefer someone who costs less and is less risky. If we are that committed we should think bigger than Kane.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

do you want Kane potentially injuring a Bruins Prospect, as what was revealed in Buffalo or what's been reported in the last day or so..... this isn't a Bruin prospect injuring a teammate as Malcolm Subban was a few years back.... the PR nightmare that Botterill and Pegula have to quell while who pays... Bogosian.... no thanks

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I was in favor of acquiring Kane when he was a buy low candidate.

If you're talking top prospects and/or 1st round picks.... no thanks. Aim higher at that cost. If we're talking secondary assets, my tune will change. There's enough potential reward to warrant the risk. Wouldn't give him a long term deal, but 30 games in a contact year....

BigBadBears

Jun 13, 2014
I prefer someone who costs less and is less risky. If we are that committed we should think bigger than Kane.

If we can spend more to get someone else. Are there any top 6 power forwards out there in the market? They are committing to 6 months. Worst case they lose the pick/prospect and sit him on the 9th floor. Best case a 30 goal power forward built for the playoffs.

do you want Kane potentially injuring a Bruins Prospect, as what was revealed in Buffalo or what's been reported in the last day or so..... this isn't a Bruin prospect injuring a teammate as Malcolm Subban was a few years back.... the PR nightmare that Botterill and Pegula have to quell while who pays... Bogosian.... no thanks

He injured Bogosian in a harmless play behind the boards.

The bruins traded seguin because of baggage. Small chance to take here to see if the bruins leadership (backes/bergy) can get to him. Upside is too much to pass on.

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Amongst the 139 d-men with at least 500 minutes (roughly, the leagues top 4 d-men), Krug is 52nd in goals allowed per 60 this season. Its a far cry from when he was getting top 10 finishes in that category. Back when he was getting Matt Gryzleck deployments that is.

Even accounting for the fact he plays on a good defensive team, him being average defensively (a combo of being a good puck mover and not having to play D + being below average at in zone coverage) for a top 4 d-man is plenty fine given his offense. If you can upgrade using Krug as a piece, sure. If you can upgrade on anyone, sure.

But Matt Gryzleck is SMALLER than Krug and has the same deficiencies in his own end. He is a better puck mover than Krug, but has way worse offensive zone IQ. Gryzleck playing well (and he is in his role) is awesome. And I love that they sneak in a couple extra shifts for McAvoy given his familiarity with Gryzleck. But, to think that Gryzleck playing well makes Krug expendable is wrong. Maybe Zboril, Lauzon, Vaak, etc do. Eventually. But, one of those guys has to take Chara's spot in the top 4 before we can start talking about them taking Krug's spot.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Personally, I would not touch Kane. He's played for two teams and been a locker room cancer at both places. Winnipeg has been so much better since he left. The 'problems' with Eichel are new at Buffalo based on his history on other teams. It is a pretty easy guess they are directly related to Kane.

You can talk about 'your' leaders stepping up to deal with him all you want, but the leadership camaraderie of the Bruins had been deficient from Boychuck/Thornton leaving up until this year. Backes (and I'm guessing McAvoy based on reports from his other teams) have filled that void this year. Why would you mess that up and have to find a way to dump $5m somewhere first just to acquire him?

When you have prospects waiting to fill in at every position except goalie and you are the hottest team in the league, you can sit back and not mess with a good thing.

Reactions: TCB and Gee Wally
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad