Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals/Rumours '17 - '18 II (post 'em here)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Just curious if you'll ever propose a trade for a player and not include Krug in it? Just curious how Hutton, who I do like, is better than Krug?

Clearly another case of "grass is greener".

Hutton isn't a bad player, he was also a healthy scratch recently on Vancouver's D. So I'm going to go ahead and state he's not a better player than Torey Krug.

I see a couple folks suggest Edler. It's not a terrible idea, his contract is over just before they have to extend McAvoy/Carlo/Heinen. He still logs big minutes, even if he isn't the player he was 3-4 years ago.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
I'm not sure why people are so opposed to making deals. What if we stood pat in 2011?

This team is good. Close. I remember we dealt a good young player in Wheeler, a solid team guy in Stuart, a top prospect in Colborne, first and second round picks, plus a contingent pick. Add in the deal from the summer with Nasty Nate and Soupy for Bruins first (they loved Austin Watson) and their only scoring defenseman in Wideman.

Maybe it would be a year early to make these kinds of trades, but a piece here or there and there is no reason they can't make and win the Cup.

Reactions: Strafer and Silva

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
I don't know if he's available, but Edmundson from the Blues might be worth looking into. He's young and fits the kind of defenseman the Bruins are looking for based on Neely's comments, a defensive defenseman that can move the puck. He has a bit of feistiness in his game as well. It would probably cost the Bruins quite a lot to acquire him though since the Blues seem keen on keeping him.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Fixed it for you

I think Krug is significantly better than Grz right now, specifically for that proposed blueline when you factor in the lack of offense you will get from Miller/Carlo/Edler/Chara.

Grzelyck has been solid as a #6 defenseman, but lets not lose sight of the fact that he's being used as a #6 defenseman. For 20 games. Development isn't always linear either, as we've seen with Carlo. Also we've been fooled before with mature college defenseman like Trotman, Kampfer, Hunwick, Bartkowski etc. It's going to take more than looking good for 20 games when the team is rolling to sell me.

Krug is only a couple years older. In his 5th season. For his career he averages 20:04 minutes/g and 45 points. He would thrive in that role, like he did as a rookie. He's still pretty youthful and has the experience. Regular season and playoffs. He's a proven difference maker IMO.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
He's looked good 24 games into his NHL career, but that's hardly enough to proclaim him more reliable than Krug.
I think your way over rating Krug and severly under rating Grizz.

Krug like it or not is a defensive liability he's terrible in his own end. Man to man coverage is weak he gives up the blue line two easy, his speed is average where he loses races for the puck and his retrieval skill are weak because of that. Not to mention he loses board battles more times than not.

Now if your talking about what he brings to the offense in the offensive zone Ya Krug is good and he brings a lot.

In the Grizz's 22 games hes played. In his own end has been outstanding, and with a young defenseman thats what you want and he passes the grade with a clearcut A. He retrieves the puck as well as anyone and he gets out of his own zone quickly either by his quick acceleration and skating it out of danger or by making a quick move and then a pass on the stick. Two major weapons that you need from your defenseman and Grizz tops Krug easily. Grizz has also been very good with board battles winning more than his fair share.

Offensively Grizz is no slouch either he's smart enough to get the puck through to the net or chip it into the corner when needs be and he diffidently has the wheels where he can join the play and still be able to get back and help out defensively. His passes are tape to tape on top of that.

He's no flash in the pan his skating and Hockey IQ are way above par for that to be the case.

Reactions: TCB and rocketdan9

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
To replace him?

Grizz is already a more reliable option than Krug.

no, just no.

Krug would look like a defensive stud too playing 15 min a night against 3rd and 4th lines. Let's see Grzelcyk be able to handle 21 a night against top 6 forwards first.

and to put to rest the 'but Gryz is more physical'...no, he isnt.

First, he's the same height as Krug but 20lbs lighter.

Also,
Krug = 62 hits, 95 blocks pace
Gryz = 30 hits, 52 blocks pace

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta

Krug like it or not is a defensive liability he's terrible in his own end. Man to man coverage is weak he gives up the blue line two easy, his speed is average where he loses races for the puck and his retrieval skill are weak because of that. Not to mention he loses board battles more times than not.

Now if your talking about what he brings to the offense in the offensive zone Ya Krug is good and he brings a lot.

In the Grizz's 22 games hes played. In his own end has been outstanding, and with a young defenseman thats what you want and he passes the grade with a clearcut A. He retrieves the puck as well as anyone and he gets out of his own zone quickly either by his quick acceleration and skating it out of danger or by making a quick move and then a pass on the stick. Two major weapons that you need from your defenseman and Grizz tops Krug easily. Grizz has also been very good with board battles winning more than his fair share.

Offensively Grizz is no slouch either he's smart enough to get the puck through to the net or chip it into the corner when needs be and he diffidently has the wheels where he can join the play and still be able to get back and help out defensively. His passes are tape to tape on top of that.

He's no flash in the pan his skating and Hockey IQ are way above par for that to be the case.

I could go back and find posts that are identical to this about Hunwick/Kampfer/Trotman/Bartkowski etc.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I'm not sure why people are so opposed to making deals. What if we stood pat in 2011?

This team is good. Close. I remember we dealt a good young player in Wheeler, a solid team guy in Stuart, a top prospect in Colborne, first and second round picks, plus a contingent pick. Add in the deal from the summer with Nasty Nate and Soupy for Bruins first (they loved Austin Watson) and their only scoring defenseman in Wideman.

Maybe it would be a year early to make these kinds of trades, but a piece here or there and there is no reason they can't make and win the Cup.

I'm with you. I like the idea of seeing a team of homegrown talents perform and grow together, but you still need to recognize when you have windows of opportunity. Guys like Chara, Krejci, Rask, and Bergeron are still vital contributors and none are getting younger. If we look to be on the cusp right now, I think you try to improve the roster if you can.

And I don't see "veteran depth for playoff runs" as meaningful additions. Guys like Stafford, Liles, etc. don't push teams forward. No disrespect to those guys, but those are as much tokens to a team for their effort all season than they are on-ice factors. We all know this team could do better than Ryan Spooner as a 2nd line RW. And you're probably not winning a Cup with Riley Nash as your 3rd line center. You might, but there's room for upgrade there. Why not be aggressive trying to improve either or both?

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I really don't see the point in messing with defence right now. Chara is still here. Who knows how long he'll last. Chelios played untill he was 48. Krug and Gryz have shown to be excellent defencemen for now. Behind them is an absolute traffic jam of LD prospects that are close to NHL readiness. RD looks damn good as well with McAvoy, Carlo, Miller and McQuaid as an extra guy.

I just don't see the point of guys like Edler, Hjalmarsson or Ben Hutton(???). There's no guarantee that they will do any better job than the current guys and they also are old and on expiring contracts. Or they are Ben Hutton, who is barely a bottom pairing defenceman on one of the worst D groups in the league. If we aren't talking about Ekman-Larsson type investment to replace Chara as a long term #1 LD, it just seems tinkering for the sake of tinkering. Also, if they want to got that route, OEL becomes UFA after next season.
While I agre to your point to an extent, the goal is to win the Cup this year with the vets on this Bruin team. Bergeron Krejci Chara Krejci etc, can’t burn a year with the hopes to gain experience for a Grylzek*. Edler I think is on an expiring contract he might be the ideal add assuming a blockbuster deal isn’t available for a Chara replacement. Assuming the ask from Vancouver is ok, I’d be ok with Edler as a veteran add for the playoffs, especially if there’s an injury.

If one of Chara or Krug suffers an injury, that left side blueline looks weak. Just take a look at last years playoffs sans Krug.

Reactions: sarge88

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
no, just no.

Krug would look like a defensive stud too playing 15 min a night against 3rd and 4th lines. Let's see Grzelcyk be able to handle 21 a night against top 6 forwards first.

and to put to rest the 'but Gryz is more physical'...no, he isnt.

First, he's the same height as Krug but 20lbs lighter.

Also,
Krug = 62 hits, 95 blocks pace
Gryz = 30 hits, 52 blocks pace

Not a chance he just isnt that good defensively.

Grizz has played his fair share against teams 2nd lines and even top lines as well. there was a reason Pittsburgh kept switching on the fly and it wasn't to get away from bergeron it was to go against Krug and Carlo.

Krug is actually averaging 20 a night and depending on which night 2-5 minutes of that could be PP & OT time you switch their PP time around and the TOI would favor Grizz. Actually Grizz has been earning more as of late and Krug less in December it was 20 for Krug and 16.5 for Grizz without PP time and since the New Year Grizz is closing in without any PP time.17 minutes for Krug and 16 for Grizz.

If you take Krugs PP and OT time away he gets, Grizz ice time would be higher.

[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: TCB

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Problem is the UFA rental market is pitiful. I also think the overall parity of the league makes dealing harder and the market thinner.

I said this earlier but Sweeney should focus on guys who are signed through the end of next season, keep his lines in the water with teams that may project to fall off as things move forward here and get closer to the deadline.

Fans have been waiting for another "Horton-like" deal for almost a decade now, where the Bruins deal few smaller pieces for 1 larger piece.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I think the brakes need to be pumped slightly on this Grzelyck hype. Kid looks very good so far but let’s see him do it longer than 20 games.

We are taking this teams current health for granted. Hopefully it lasts, but most likely won’t. Sweeney needs to make sure he has the horses ready to step in as depth in case of injury. Don’t want another playoff flop

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
I wouldn’t be opposed to edler, not sure how he has been performing this season but could give us the opportunity to run a more shutdown pair and move Krug down a line.

Not sure what would happen next year though, and at 5M?? Jeez..

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
I wouldn’t be opposed to edler, not sure how he has been performing this season but could give us the opportunity to run a more shutdown pair and move Krug down a line.

Not sure what would happen next year though, and at 5M?? Jeez..
Ouch I thought he expired after this season. In that case I’d prefer Hjarlmasson

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
I think the brakes need to be pumped slightly on this Grzelyck hype. Kid looks very good so far but let’s see him do it longer than 20 games.

We are taking this teams current health for granted. Hopefully it lasts, but most likely won’t. Sweeney needs to make sure he has the horses ready to step in as depth in case of injury. Don’t want another playoff flop

What are the signs he's showing that says this?

The kids payed his dues down in the minors hes a great skater with a big heart and a high Hockey IQ, those are three traits that tell me he's no fluke.

Reactions: TCB

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Problem is the UFA rental market is pitiful. I also think the overall parity of the league makes dealing harder and the market thinner.

I said this earlier but Sweeney should focus on guys who are signed through the end of next season, keep his lines in the water with teams that may project to fall off as things move forward here and get closer to the deadline.

Fans have been waiting for another "Horton-like" deal for almost a decade now, where the Bruins deal few smaller pieces for 1 larger piece.

I think if you upgrade at 2RW over Spooner and 3C over Nash, maybe get a decent veteran LHD you are clearly a top 4 NHL team. I'm not saying go nuts and deal Carlo and Bjork,. but my 2018 picks are up for grabs and one of my LHD prospects are as well. Add in Spooner and those four items (LHD prospect, 1st and 2nd in '18 or '19, Spooner) should be able to get you some nice pieces for a run.

That being said, if they go as is, I understand, although I would look to upgrade.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
What are the signs he's showing that says this?

The kids payed his dues down in the minors hes a great skater with a big heart and a high Hockey IQ, those are three traits that tell me he's no fluke.
I enjoy watching him play. However I’m not a fan of anointing him a lock on the roster after only 22 games. Now if he continues playing well and has an impressive playoffs then I’d say the spot is his to lose next season

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be

Agreed. I'd actually sell high on him now.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA

I appreciate you explaining your point of view an opinion in detail, a lot of posters just throw out the premise of trading Krug and that he stinks but offer very little substance as to why they think that way.

But I will still disagree with the premise. Many of the points you make about Krug are accurate, especially when he isn't playing well those flaws in his game are more apparent. But I think the positives he brings to the table far outweigh the negatives that you pointed out in his game. I am a believer that you can cover for a lot of a players flaws with simply the correct partner and some chemistry. Krug isn't so atrocious in his own end that his partner isn't able to help cover up some of his risks as he tries to make a play, and allow Krug to do more of what he does well. In my opinion, Krug played a lot better with McQuaid or Miller as his partner, as these players know each other and have been paired for most of his careers. Krug and Carlo haven't been able to develop that same chemistry and both have looked bad in some very noticeable players.

Now I am not saying the correct move is benching Carlo for McQuaid, but I don't think it's a coincidence that Krug hasn't looked quite the same moved away from Miller or McQuaid. You could also attributes some of Grizz's solid play to having a complementary partner like Miller to allow him to do what he does well. He's still been impressive, but plenty of rookies go through hills and valleys and putting him in a higher spot in the lineup doesn't guarantee he'll deliver the same results.

And my biggest gripe with the Krug detractors is they fail to address how they would replace the very important production he brings to the lineup. 45+ points from the backend and on the powerplay isn't easy production to replace, and I'm not sure any of our LHD prospects have the offensive accuman that Torey Krug brings to the table. Even Grizz, for as solid as he has looked only put up 32 points in the AHL last year so it would be a big leap to say he's ready to assume Krug's powerplay responsibility.

Krug hasn't played well in this recent stretch, either offensively or defensively so it's understandable that people would become dissatisfied with him and look for a move to add a more balanced, defensive player into the top-4. But I think none of the players mentioned as replacements (Scandella, Edler ect) would add as much to the team as a Krug when he is on his game. Add that into his strong character and leadership (yes, I think Krug is a huge part of the chemistry this team has gained) and I think trading him would have a Johnny Boychuk type effect on the locker-room.

Just my opinion though, I know many will disagree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad