Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals/Rumours '17 - '18 II (post 'em here)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Let’s roll with this team unless some team comes calling offering up a fair deal for an impact player. Sweeney has himself a young fast top-5 team in the NHL. He’s in a great position.

Reactions: Battleford Bruin

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
Chris Stewart, pass, same with Evander Kane, dizzay, why are we wanting Buffalo to be the power team in the Atlantic?
I'm not exactly sure what you're alluding to here? perhaps us trading prospects for their garbage?
Evander Kane is a great hockey player, reportedly has a bad attitude but so did Marshy and look what he's become.
Sure Christ Stewart isn't going to lead the team in scoring in the playoffs, but he can score, hit, fight, and would come at a cheap(ish) price. I'm trying to be creative and adding things we currently dont have. I dont want to witness Chara having to chase Wilson around in the playoffs because he's running our guys. Chara/Wilson trade off is not even, Stewart on the other hand, very even.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I'm not exactly sure what you're alluding to here? perhaps us trading prospects for their garbage?
Evander Kane is a great hockey player, reportedly has a bad attitude but so did Marshy and look what he's become.
Sure Christ Stewart isn't going to lead the team in scoring in the playoffs, but he can score, hit, fight, and would come at a cheap(ish) price.

Stewart does nothing to help chase Tampa Bay, which is where we currently are.... this isn't the 1970s edition.... Kane's attitude is equivalent to "headache waiting to explode aka ticking timebomb" this organization does what with players like that GONZO

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
I think, as others do, that there are better line combinations to be had between the 2nd/3rd lines, but while they have been on quite a roll, why mess with it?

Well the roll started with Spooner centering JDB and Bjork. They produced, they were a net plus in the +/- column. When Krejci came back they had to mess with something. They chose to sit Bjork and put Spooner on the wing rather than move Nash down a line. The roll continued so it's not worth getting too worked up about in and of itself. But now there's talk of trading for players to fit on that new line and it brings me back to that thought of why not just drop Nash to the 4th line and try Krejci between Heinen and Backes? The Backes line has also been very good but maybe Krejci makes it even better. If it's not a net gain across the whole lineup then go look for a trade.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

He's also a rental and can walk for free at the end of the season. Why would the Bruins give up a big package for that? The plan is to build for the future. Bruins aren't going to move big-time assets for a one-and-done. Evander Kane is having a career year in a contract year. That has red flags all over it with the money he's going to cost to be signed/re-signed.

Sure Christ Stewart isn't going to lead the team in scoring in the playoffs, but he can score, hit, fight, and would come at a cheap(ish) price. I'm trying to be creative and adding things we currently dont have. I dont want to witness Chara having to chase Wilson around in the playoffs because he's running our guys. Chara/Wilson trade off is not even, Stewart on the other hand, very even.

He may come cheap, but who is he better than currently in the lineup for the role he would be playing? He's a bottom 6 guy. He's not replacing Backes as the 3rd line RW, and is he really that much better than Acciari?

Also, I was interested in Chris Stewart's physical game. He has 36 hits in 38 games played. He doesn't even average a Hit/Gm. Riley Nash, someone who has gotten hammered around here for not being physical, is averaging more Hits/Gm than Stewart is. Stewart would probably take time away from is Acciari, and Acciari has 67 hits in 26 games played; averaging 2.6 Hits/Gm. I'm not seeing the reason for Stewart at all. Also, you say he could be a factor in the playoffs? Well there isn't any fighting in the playoffs and Stewart, last year in the P.O for example, averaged 2.2 hits per game. Acciari, last year, had 22 hits and then 4 games, averagering 5.5 Hits/Gm.

As a depth piece, 13th forward, fine.... He better come cheap, like 5th-6th rounder or something little like that. He isn't better than any of the RW's we have in the lineup. Stewart's physical game gets way overplayed. He's an inconsistent player in every aspect of the game.

Reactions: GloryDaze4877

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Well the roll started with Spooner centering JDB and Bjork. They produced, they were a net plus in the +/- column. When Krejci came back they had to mess with something. They chose to sit Bjork and put Spooner on the wing rather than move Nash down a line. The roll continued so it's not worth getting too worked up about in and of itself. But now there's talk of trading for players to fit on that new line and it brings me back to that thought of why not just drop Nash to the 4th line and try Krejci between Heinen and Backes? The Backes line has also been very good but maybe Krejci makes it even better. If it's not a net gain across the whole lineup then go look for a trade.
The line of Spooner, Bjork and DeBrusk was playing 7-8 mins a night which put a lot of pressure on the first and second lines, not something that could be sustained. They were not very strong in their own zone, got hemmed in lots and had trouble with the heavier teams. Would be nice if Krejci could get a RW to play a regular shift with him to make some chemistry, injuries have not helped that situation.

Reactions: Dabruins

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Wonder what the guys in the room think. The vets specifically. Of course they would say the team can win as is and lets go. But what might they say 10 years from now. Maybe something like " woulda helped big if Sweeney went and got..." or "we were just a _______ away from ________". IDK, just wonder what their perspective is. Either way the light is turned on and the vets must be pumped to be in the big mix.
To be fair, about 15 rosters each year could dissect their GM's moves 10 years later and come up with a solution to get that final piece.

In hindsight, we know that Kaberle, Peverly, and Kelly were instrumental to 2011, but had it NOT worked, we'd be dissecting those moves under negative scrutiny. I don't think any fan of any team in February 2011 thought those were the exact pieces to push them over. The cup (likely for any team) absolves most sins.

Reactions: DKH

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I actually like Spooner but I'm not convinced he's the RW the B's want or need. If they don't trust him at C and trade him, they just might get something good in return with the thinking he could do much better elsewhere like another young C the B's forced on the RW then traded.

Tazz

Oct 4, 2017
To be fair, about 15 rosters each year could dissect their GM's moves 10 years later and come up with a solution to get that final piece.

In hindsight, we know that Kaberle, Peverly, and Kelly were instrumental to 2011, but had it NOT worked, we'd be dissecting those moves under negative scrutiny. I don't think any fan of any team in February 2011 thought those were the exact pieces to push them over. The cup (likely for any team) absolves most sins.

Well stated.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
It annoys me that the Bruins may not do anything come deadline. This team right now is legit. But there are a few players out there that could make them extra dangerous ala TB, Caps.
I like the Kassian talk. He's not great, but he adds some serious jam to the bottom of our line up. He's a decent PK'er as well and has some speed.
I like Chris Stewart. Yeah he's older, slower, but he's a tough SOB who still has decent hands and produced ok in the playoffs before.
I'd like to either change the lines or upgrade the 3rd line Centre. Nash doesn't belong above the 4th line, and right now with Kuraly playing great, I think Nash could go.
If OEL/Hjalmarsson is on the market, I'd toss them a Krug/Spooner/prospect package. I think the hammer would be a better fit, true shutdown guy.
I obviously would love Kane/Simmonds/Lucic here to play with Krejci but if we can land Hjalmarsson +Kassian/Stewart, I'd be very happy with the new line up and consider them battle ready for the playoffs.

If Chris Stewart came very cheap, as in a third round pick next year cheap I would do it. I want size, toughness and attitude up front but Stewart, who I like a great deal in stretches, is very inconsistent. I think they would be better served with a younger version of Stewart. McCormick, John Hayden, Marcus Foligno, Hathaway or Kassian. Preference would be Simmonds or Ferland but I can't see Sweeney getting either of those players.

PlayoffBeard365

Apr 11, 2014
Cape Cod, MA

Clarifying here, Im wondering what the boys (vets) are saying right now to themselves about the situation that they would likely only open up to a decade later if ever.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
If Chris Stewart came very cheap, as in a third round pick next year cheap I would do it. I want size, toughness and attitude up front but Stewart, who I like a great deal in stretches, is very inconsistent. I think they would be better served with a younger version of Stewart. McCormick, John Hayden, Marcus Foligno, Hathaway or Kassian. Preference would be Simmonds or Ferland but I can't see Sweeney getting either of those players.

So, you are going to ignore the actual stats on Stewart and go with some sort of preconceived motion you have about his physicality?

Hayden just got sent down and McCormick has played all but 3 games in the AHL this year. I’m not sure what your fascination is with a guy who is 5’11” 185?

I’m not adverse to the B’s adding physicality that can play (like an Anderson, Foligno, Ferland), but as has been discussed repeatedly, these guys don’t grow on trees and you are more likely to draft them then sign/trade for them.

If I’m going after an undersized feisty guy, I would be much more interested in someone like Roussel (who is probably not available). Really going to have to wait and see who is out of the playoff picture at the deadline before trying to add players.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

Inconsistent is an understatement when it comes to Stewart; in ever facet of the game.

Of the guys you provided, besides McCormick (who I don't see why he'd hold any real value), the players you provided are all guys that are more valuable to the team's they're currently on, than what those teams would probably get in a deal for them.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
I read all these comments discounting the importance of size and toughness on teams. I recently watched Ice Guardians, which if you haven't seen or heard of it, I highly recommend. The amount of hall of famers stating they were able to be the player they became was because of the Schemenko's, Probert's, McGratton's, Domi's, Kocur's, etc. We get lost in this speed and youth movement, which I feel is important, but it's having the right mix. Someone mentioned above, adding Peverly, Kelly, and Kaberle the year we won the cup, 3 fairly under the radar additions but boy did they work out. We have the injection of speed we lacked for years, we have the injection of youth we lacked for years, we have the leadership, I really think we need to add some sandpaper, which is why I don't get the Stewart bashing. I never said the guy was going to come in and win the conn smythe, just be a big physical presence on and off the ice for us. Do I care if Riley Nash throws 50 unimportant checks compared to 20 well timed more impactful checks from Chris Stewart/Zack Kassian? Or the fact teams will know that we have one of those guys ready to go out and do something as dirty to one of their stars if they attack Bergy/Marshy/Pasta/Krejci/rooks? The whole analytics world really muddies the water for a lot of people.

Reactions: Fenian24

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I read all these comments discounting the importance of size and toughness on teams. I recently watched Ice Guardians, which if you haven't seen or heard of it, I highly recommend. The amount of hall of famers stating they were able to be the player they became was because of the Schemenko's, Probert's, McGratton's, Domi's, Kocur's, etc. We get lost in this speed and youth movement, which I feel is important, but it's having the right mix. Someone mentioned above, adding Peverly, Kelly, and Kaberle the year we won the cup, 3 fairly under the radar additions but boy did they work out. We have the injection of speed we lacked for years, we have the injection of youth we lacked for years, we have the leadership, I really think we need to add some sandpaper, which is why I don't get the Stewart bashing. I never said the guy was going to come in and win the conn smythe, just be a big physical presence on and off the ice for us. Do I care if Riley Nash throws 50 unimportant checks compared to 20 well timed more impactful checks from Chris Stewart/Zack Kassian? Or the fact teams will know that we have one of those guys ready to go out and do something as dirty to one of their stars if they attack Bergy/Marshy/Pasta/Krejci/rooks? The whole analytics world really muddies the water for a lot of people.

But the NHL is completely different now than those days. There is Stewart bashing going on because he really doesn't fill this need you're pining for. He's an inconsistent player who disappears for long stretches. Who in the lineup is he replacing? I also don't buy this notion you need a tough guy to prevent the targeting of our stars. Bruins had Shawn Thornton and Savard's career was still ended. I just don't view Stewart as this physical presence who is going to make players/teams think twice about anything.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
So, you are going to ignore the actual stats on Stewart and go with some sort of preconceived motion you have about his physicality?

Hayden just got sent down and McCormick has played all but 3 games in the AHL this year. I’m not sure what your fascination is with a guy who is 5’11” 185?

I’m not adverse to the B’s adding physicality that can play (like an Anderson, Foligno, Ferland), but as has been discussed repeatedly, these guys don’t grow on trees and you are more likely to draft them then sign/trade for them.

If I’m going after an undersized feisty guy, I would be much more interested in someone like Roussel (who is probably not available). Really going to have to wait and see who is out of the playoff picture at the deadline before trying to add players.

As I mentioned I wouldn't put a great deal of effort into getting Stewart, I like him more than Schaller and Accari, he is bigger and when motivated a physical force, he just isn't motivated all that often and hasn't been for much of his career.

I like Max McCormick a great deal, he can skate, hit and has good straight ahead speed. His size is not ideal for his role but I would prefer an aggressive player his size to a Schaller, also still young and has produced reasonably well in the AHL. I also think Hayden has a nice future, good size, smart and aggressive.

I can't see Dallas moving Roussel if they are still in the playoff race at the deadline which is too bad because he is not as skilled as an Anderson or Ferland but more than a Kassian or Hathaway. Can easily play bottom 6 and fill in top six if needed for a short time.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
for a lot of the fans of 'tough guys protect the stars' and 'tough guys stop crap' ill share what staufer and spector are talking about on oilers now radio show

in dallas game when oilers are losing 5-1 the stars go after connar McDavid with cheap crap. and no oiler responded. not lucic. not kassian. not maroon. not nurse. no one. it was just dan hamhuis that did the damage and none of these tough guys responded.

so... with all this trade talk with Edmonton going on. its worth noting. maybe theres a reason these guys are losing?

and we shouldn't get too excited to bring in tough guys and feel they can fix the problem. toughness in todays nhl is all about having each others back. a tim schaller or a sean kuraly responding to a big check does more for team winning hockey than someone like kassian just looking the other way as liberties go on with the star player

Reactions: Bergyesque

wintersej

Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
All this "does having a tough guy help protect guys" stuff probably belongs in another thread. (I don't think it does anything of the sort, btw).

That being said, size and toughness in the top 6 to (1) win board battles, (2) wear down the other teams D - especially in a long playoff series, and (3) provide space for the skilled guys by demanding coverage in front of the net are all things that I think the Bruins top 6 (especially the 2nd line) is missing.

Reactions: Strafer

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
. I just don't view Stewart as this physical presence who is going to make players/teams think twice about anything.

He isn't but he is a veteran and at the right price at least provides the size and occasional physical presence they need. Again for me he isn't an ideal fit but I would take him over most of the bodies in Providence and try a line of Heinen-Backes-Stewart and see how it does.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
As I mentioned I wouldn't put a great deal of effort into getting Stewart, I like him more than Schaller and Accari, he is bigger and when motivated a physical force, he just isn't motivated all that often and hasn't been for much of his career.

So you like him more than a guy like Acciari even though Acciari is a more physical player who plays motivated every shift? Also, production wise, isn't far off from Stewart this season. I really don't understand your stance on the whole physical thing. Bruins aren't physical enough, Bruins don't have the right physical players. Let me like a player more than the player we have who is actually physical because when motivated (which isn't much) he'll hit someone or drop the mitts.

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
for a lot of the fans of 'tough guys protect the stars' and 'tough guys stop crap' ill share what staufer and spector are talking about on oilers now radio show

in dallas game when oilers are losing 5-1 the stars go after connar McDavid with cheap crap. and no oiler responded. not lucic. not kassian. not maroon. not nurse. no one. it was just dan hamhuis that did the damage and none of these tough guys responded.

so... with all this trade talk with Edmonton going on. its worth noting. maybe theres a reason these guys are losing?

and we shouldn't get too excited to bring in tough guys and feel they can fix the problem. toughness in todays nhl is all about having each others back. a tim schaller or a sean kuraly responding to a big check does more for team winning hockey than someone like kassian just looking the other way as liberties go on with the star player

Mark Spector has as much credibility when talking about tough hockey as Damien Cox or Ken Campbell. Would be like a cave man describing how to build a space shuttle.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
He isn't but he is a veteran and at the right price at least provides the size and occasional physical presence they need. Again for me he isn't an ideal fit but I would take him over most of the bodies in Providence and try a line of Heinen-Backes-Stewart and see how it does.

What guys in Providence are you taking Stewart over? I don't see Heinen/Backes/Stewart being any better than the current third line right now.

Chris Stewart started off the year with 8 points in 6 games. He proceeded to produce 4 points in his next 32 games. He's been scratched 4 times over those 32 games, and hasn't dressed the last 2 games for Minnesota. Why do you think he's a player to try on a 3rd line?

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
What guys in Providence are you taking Stewart over? I don't see Heinen/Backes/Stewart being any better than the current third line right now.

Chris Stewart started off the year with 8 points in 6 games. He proceeded to produce 4 points in his next 32 games. He's been scratched 4 times over those 32 games, and hasn't dressed the last 2 games for Minnesota. Why do you think he's a player to try on a 3rd line?

See you could get him cheap.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
The line of Spooner, Bjork and DeBrusk was playing 7-8 mins a night which put a lot of pressure on the first and second lines, not something that could be sustained. They were not very strong in their own zone, got hemmed in lots and had trouble with the heavier teams. Would be nice if Krejci could get a RW to play a regular shift with him to make some chemistry, injuries have not helped that situation.

Just looking at DeBrusk, he averaged 12:30 during the 6 games Krejci was out. That's not much different than Nash's 13. The most he played was 15:45 and the lowest during that span was 9:05. He never played "7-8 mins a night."

With regard to your point about them being not very strong in their own zone, he also was a +5 in those 6 games. They may have been hemmed in, but we just saw Pittsburgh hem in the Krejci line for extended periods the other night. Everybody but the Bergeron line gets hemmed in from time to time. DeBrusk scored 5 points in those 6 games and the +5 would suggest that they did some hemming of their own as well.

At the end of the day, they played 3rd line minutes and produced like a 1st/2nd line in both points and plus/minus. Small sample and all, but IMO worthy of a longer look. Heinen and Backes would also get a bump in TOI if they played with Krejci so if heavy minutes are your thing that increase might offset the lighter 3rd line at least in terms of ice time.

Reactions: Strafer
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad