Proposal: Bruins Trade Proposals/Rumours '17 - '18 II (post 'em here)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
I see people criticize the "pro scouts" a lot but other than Beleskey, who was good his first season here, who have they missed on lately?

Stafford was about the only good NHL acquisition via trade they've made.

FA signings: Nash was a good addition. Dominic Moore wasn't bad either. Backes I've never had an issue with.

Connolly was a total bust. Stempniak and Liles were both terrible. Postma has done little to nothing. Hayes was beyond bad. Matt Irwin played the worst 2 games I've ever seen from a Bruin. Zac Rinaldo was an embarrassment.

Things that I don't mind, but you could have a gripe with. You could potentially criticize the Seidenberg buy-out. Trading Martin Jones.

pineapplestastegood

Oct 4, 2017
I stand by the belief, no rentals. We have plenty of vets and leadership, what we need is for the young kids to get experience, and that includes growing pains, and possibly losing short term, but gaining the playoff experience long term. Any rental vets are likely pushing a young kid out of the line up (or blocking another coming up). Staffords and Stempniak's of this world are good in their own right, but I don't want to see assets wasted nor playing time squandered for players that will actually be here beyond this season.

Can't find the original post, but someone else already said this.

Only moves I'd be interested in are, long term upgrades to Krug or Spooner. And/or Upgrading to a younger Krejci/Backes/McQuaid. These are likely off season moves, with possible subsequential deals moving around the roster, but I'm just not fan of the acquisitions or the results.

Too many assets we've given up with little or no long term return. With the way this team drafts, we should be holding onto picks like they are freakin' gold. And invest some of those assets later on into actual long term assets. Considering the plethora of talent we've gotten even in the top 4 rounds coming through the system, I trust the amateur scouts more than any of the pro scouts we've had.
Agree with this 100000%.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
After watching tonight's game I'm even more convinced the Bruins need another top 4 d-man preferably on the left side. Not worried
at all about the offense.

I really like Grizz and Chara but big Z although an incredible freak of nature and is playing great will wear down with heavy minutes in the playoffs and Grizz, I love his speed and hockey sense. The Bruins could use another horse back there on the left side.

McAvoy,Carlo and Miller can handle their own on the right side.

Krug I'm not a big fan of. love what he brings offensively but he's to much of a liability defensively. I'd ship him out for a puck moving defensive defenseman in a minute.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
After watching tonight's game I'm even more convinced the Bruins need another top 4 d-man preferably on the left side. Not worried
at all about the offense.

I really like Grizz and Chara but big Z although an incredible freak of nature and is playing great will wear down with heavy minutes in the playoffs and Grizz, I love his speed and hockey sense. The Bruins could use another horse back there on the left side.

McAvoy,Carlo and Miller can handle their own on the right side.

Krug I'm not a big fan of. love what he brings offensively but he's to much of a liability defensively. I'd ship him out for a puck moving defensive defenseman in a minute.

I agree. Though I think the Grzelyck love is getting a little out of hand for a 24 year old D playing #6 minutes. He hasn't been tested. Has yet to crack 20 minutes in a single game yet. He's done everything they've asked though. I like him as a bottom-pairing D, but if he's your chip to find a real LHD upgrade, wouldn't hesitate on that either.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I agree. Though I think the Grzelyck love is getting a little out of hand for a 24 year old D playing #6 minutes. He hasn't been tested. Has yet to crack 20 minutes in a single game yet. He's done everything they've asked though. I like him as a bottom-pairing D, but if he's your chip to find a real LHD upgrade, wouldn't hesitate on that either.

Agreed.

One problem they have right now with Gryz and Krug in the lineup is that leaves them with 2 LHD who simply can't play on the penalty kill. So Z has to take these grueling minutes by himself

Troublesome 85

TOP RANKED
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Off the top of my head I cant think of many players that fit this mold but if they could get someone in a trade who was drafted and highly regarded but needs a change of scenario I am all for it.

Reactions: Strafer

World of Wardlow

Unscripted Violence
Jul 13, 2006
Montreal
I think in the offseason they'll trade McQuaid. Hard to send Grzelcyk to Providence with the way he's been playing. And with all those rumours beginning, there's no way I'd trade Kevan Miller over McQuaid.

I've said it before, in 2 years from now (maybe even earlier) Krug will be dealt due to McAvoy's rise.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Halifax
Seriously......Edmonton is prime for the pickings and we all know what CHIA does when he panics.
Oscar Klefbomb + Milan Lucic
Torey Krug +Ryan Spooner

Reactions: Fenian24

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Agreed.

One problem they have right now with Gryz and Krug in the lineup is that leaves them with 2 LHD who simply can't play on the penalty kill. So Z has to take these grueling minutes by himself

They routinely run 2 RD on the PK 2nd unit, right now the 4 PK D are Chara, McAvoy, Carlo and Miller. You make it sound like Chara plays every minute of every PK.

The problem happens when one of McAvoy/Carlo/Miller are in the box, then you see Chara play the entire PK most times.

That being said, the Bruins aren't the first team in NHL history to only have 4 D that they trust killing penalties.

Reactions: Dom - OHL

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Seriously......Edmonton is prime for the pickings and we all know what CHIA does when he panics.
Oscar Klefbomb + Milan Lucic
Torey Krug +Ryan Spooner

No to Milan Lucic. There's no point in even proposing it. He's not coming here. He's not a need here. Bruins are more than set on the LW. Is Klefbom really a huge upgrade over Krug? I get that he's bigger but just because a player has more size doesn't mean he's better. You're downgrading offensively from the back-end. If he's not a signficant upgrade in the defensive zone, then what's the point? I'm comparing their #'s on that one. I'm not going to sit here and say I've seen a ton of Oscar Klefbom. He doesn't seem like a very physical defenseman. He has 27 hits this season; same number as Krug (who has played in less games).

The main point though is Lucic. No. Thank. You.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Stafford was about the only good NHL acquisition via trade they've made.

It definitely was his best deal; value wise, for NHL talent. His other trades are incomplete at the moment. I agree on Nash/Backes/Moore so I took that out.

Connolly was a total bust. Stempniak and Liles were both terrible. Postma has done little to nothing. Hayes was beyond bad. Matt Irwin played the worst 2 games I've ever seen from a Bruin. Zac Rinaldo was an embarrassment.

Connolly wasn't a Sweeney acquisition. Stempniak/Liles were bad deals. Postma was nothing more than depth. Hayes was bad but they dealt a pretty bad Reilly Smith on top of the Savard contract. When Hayes was coming here, he had just scored 19 goals? Irwin, another depth piece, but he was brutal.

Things that I don't mind, but you could have a gripe with. You could potentially criticize the Seidenberg buy-out. Trading Martin Jones.

Yeah, neither of those I would consider throwing into the discussion. Seidenberg was done and the Jones deal was good. We already had Tuukka and Jones wanted to be a starter.[/QUOTE]

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
It definitely was his best deal; value wise, for NHL talent. His other trades are incomplete at the moment. I agree on Nash/Backes/Moore so I took that out.

Connolly wasn't a Sweeney acquisition. Stempniak/Liles were bad deals. Postma was nothing more than depth. Hayes was bad but they dealt a pretty bad Reilly Smith on top of the Savard contract. When Hayes was coming here, he had just scored 19 goals? Irwin, another depth piece, but he was brutal.

Yeah, neither of those I would consider throwing into the discussion. Seidenberg was done and the Jones deal was good. We already had Tuukka and Jones wanted to be a starter.
[/QUOTE]

I still say at the time Stempniak was not a bad deal. He was a solid player that year on the Devils, problem is Claude's system. It takes too long to figure it out. Only Brian Rolston and Mark Recchi were able to do well after the short stint. Kelly and Pevs did well too, but that started in the play-offs. These forwards seemed shell shocked.

Recchi- 18-10-6-16
Peverely 23-4-3-7
Kelly 24-2-3-5
Rolston 21-3-12-15
Jagr 11-2-7-9
Connolly 5-0-2-2
Stempniak 19-3-7-10

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
[/QUOTE]
I still say at the time Stempniak was not a bad deal. He was a solid player that year on the Devils, problem is Claude's system. It takes too long to figure it out. Only Brian Rolston and Mark Recchi were able to do well after the short stint. Kelly and Pevs did well too, but that started in the play-offs. These forwards seemed shell shocked.

Recchi- 18-10-6-16
Peverely 23-4-3-7
Kelly 24-2-3-5
Rolston 21-3-12-15
Jagr 11-2-7-9
Connolly 5-0-2-2
Stempniak 19-3-7-10[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

i liked stempniak. did a bunch of everything. know he's been hurt basically all year, but if he regains form,
wouldn't mind him as a cheap addition at the deadline (if carolina is selling).

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
They routinely run 2 RD on the PK 2nd unit, right now the 4 PK D are Chara, McAvoy, Carlo and Miller. You make it sound like Chara plays every minute of every PK.

The problem happens when one of McAvoy/Carlo/Miller are in the box, then you see Chara play the entire PK most times.

That being said, the Bruins aren't the first team in NHL history to only have 4 D that they trust killing penalties.

Chara plays 75% of all Bruins penalty kill minutes. When you factor in the time he is off ice because he is in the penalty box he plays approximately 85% of the penalty minutes he is available for

Carlo plays about 61% of the penalty kill, about 67% of time where he is available.

Note both of these numbers are even higher when McQuaid is not on the ice

McQuaid has played about 50% of PK time when he is playing

Miller has played 40% of the PK time

McAvoy has played about 15% of Bruins penalty kill time, note this number has increased some when McQuaid is out, as he barely played PK when McQuaid is healthy

Krug and Gryz are so low they are statistically insignificant

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Chara plays 75% of all Bruins penalty kill minutes. When you factor in the time he is off ice because he is in the penalty box he plays approximately 85% of the penalty minutes he is available for

Carlo plays about 61% of the penalty kill, about 67% of time where he is available.

Note both of these numbers are even higher when McQuaid is not on the ice

McQuaid has played about 50% of PK time when he is playing

Miller has played 40% of the PK time

McAvoy has played about 15% of Bruins penalty kill time, note this number has increased some when McQuaid is out, as he barely played PK when McQuaid is healthy

Krug and Gryz are so low they are statistically insignificant

Thanks for backing up my point about Chara not playing every available PK minute. And yes, McAvoy didn't touch the PK when McQuaid was around, what was he like 6 games into the season when McQuaid when down, why would they need to, with McQuaid in the line-up they didn't need McAvoy killing penalties. McAvoy is certainly the 4th option on the PK.

Your making a mountain out of a molehill Joe. While it's not perfect, the fact that the Bruins carry 2 D-men (Krug and Gryz) that they don't trust killing penalties isn't a major issue at all. The fact that it's 1 lefty and 3 righties on 2 PK units is really inconsequential. Chara plays an inordinate amount of minutes on the PK because he is darn good at it, maybe still the best in the business.

If this was a major issue McQuaid would already be back in the line-up (considering he averaged roughly 2 mins and 50 seconds PK time a game before getting injured).

A quick survey of other teams and they are also running primarily 4 PK D-men. Are the numbers a bit more skewed in Boston between the No.1 PK D (Chara) and the No.4 (McAvoy), sure. That's going to happen when you have one guy who starts basically every single PK unless he's in the box.

Reactions: Glove Malfunction

Fenian24

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010

I thought Grzelyck was terrible last night. He's going to have bumps but I really don't like having two small, offense first D-men on the left side. I would like to see a solid top 4 LD added before the deadline but so would every contender in the league.

Grzelyck and Krug will have trouble against bigger forwards in seven game series in the playoffs, unless Cassidy opts to put McQuaid back in and have Miller play his off side again I think this could be an issue in the playoffs.

ssd

Jan 8, 2018
Krug to edmonton. Power play. They need a guy like him.
Klefborn to buffalo. Long term contract. good and young
Scandella to boston. Perfect fit for the bruins.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Krug to edmonton. Power play. They need a guy like him.
Klefborn to buffalo. Long term contract. good and young
Scandella to boston. Perfect fit for the bruins.

I would make any deal to get Krug off this team. He was the worst one on the ice last nite.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Allan Mitchell weighs in on what the Oilers might do with their free agents. He expects left wing Patrick Maroon, an unrestricted free agent in July, to be dealt. He wonders if the asking price is a younger player who’s already in pro hockey. He suggests the Boston Bruins could be a good fit.

Reactions: TCB

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
NY Islanders are one point out of the wildcard yet are 8th in the Metro division.

I don't foresee them selling pieces off just yet, but they have allowed the most goals against in the league, which leads one to think they will be one of at least 3 teams not to make.

If they go into selling mode, I'd love to see Boston take a run at Calvin De Haan as a rental. He's a UFA this summer, Bruins probably can't afford to extend him long-term if he was brought in.

But he's a solid puck-mover who can also kill penalties. Think Andrew Ference.

Not a true shut-down guy, but a solid well-rounded D-man. He could slot in either above Krug or below him and not look out of place. Bruins don't lose much in the way of puck-moving (if Gryz would be the odd-man out), and add another PK option.

The UFA rental market appears pretty thin this year, If I can pick one UFA rental D-man, De Haan is the guy I want.

Chara - McAvoy
De Haan - Carlo
Krug - Miller
Gryz - McQuaid
O'Gara - Postma

That's a deep enough D-corps for a cup run.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
NY Islanders are one point out of the wildcard yet are 8th in the Metro division.

I don't foresee them selling pieces off just yet, but they have allowed the most goals against in the league, which leads one to think they will be one of at least 3 teams not to make.

If they go into selling mode, I'd love to see Boston take a run at Calvin De Haan as a rental. He's a UFA this summer, Bruins probably can't afford to extend him long-term if he was brought in.

Not a true shut-down guy, but a solid well-rounded D-man. He could slot in either above Krug or below him and not look out of place. Bruins don't lose much in the way of puck-moving (if Gryz would be the odd-man out), and add another PK option.

The UFA rental market appears pretty thin this year, If I can pick one UFA rental D-man, De Haan is the guy I want.

Chara - McAvoy
De Haan - Carlo
Krug - Miller
Gryz - McQuaid
O'Gara - Postma

De Haan, I thought, is out for a while. Maybe the season.

Reactions: BruinsFanMike82

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere

Chara - McAvoy
De Haan - Carlo
Krug - Miller
Gryz - McQuaid
O'Gara - Postma

According to a team source, Calvin de Haan will have season-ending surgery on his shoulder.
It is not clear if that means de Haan would miss the playoffs as well, in the event the Islanders qualify. It's a tough break for the Islanders, as de Haan is a very underrated defensemen.

Source: Andy Graziano on Twitter

Reactions: TCB
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad