News Article: Bruins putting trust in Harry Sinden's experience

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/13285631/nhl-boston-bruins-putting-trust-harry-sinden-experience

Neely and Sweeney have known Sinden for decades. It's obvious they respect him and want his legacy recognized once again. Since Neely returned to the organization in a management role in 2007, he has always talked with Sinden about issues facing the organization.

"I've enjoyed sitting down and talking with Harry," Neely said. "If he's around the office, which he isn't as much as he used to be, especially during the winter, if he's around it's always nice to talk hockey with him. I can't speak for Donnie, but from my personal experience I've enjoyed talking hockey and about our team with Harry."

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Don't blame them at all. There's something to be said for utilizing the wisdom of others.

The person who I replaced (he retired, but still does some consulting with our company) comes in a few times a month, and I almost always have something to ask him for some input about. It's kind of reassuring to get a perspective on your ideas from someone who has done your job for 20+ years.

SpitfireIX

Jun 11, 2007
Grenville, Qc.
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/13285631/nhl-boston-bruins-putting-trust-harry-sinden-experience

Neely and Sweeney have known Sinden for decades. It's obvious they respect him and want his legacy recognized once again. Since Neely returned to the organization in a management role in 2007, he has always talked with Sinden about issues facing the organization.

"I've enjoyed sitting down and talking with Harry," Neely said. "If he's around the office, which he isn't as much as he used to be, especially during the winter, if he's around it's always nice to talk hockey with him. I can't speak for Donnie, but from my personal experience I've enjoyed talking hockey and about our team with Harry."

Not good. Harry probably would agree with pissing away Dougie. Anyone less than Bobby Orr is expendable in Sinden's books...

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Oh my gawd....Harry made all these trades

I'm going to overreact and rant and scream and pick us for last place

I know more than Harry

Bring back geoff Gorman from da Rangers

Sweeney and Neely are bums they are going to lead us into Bolivia

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
I have no issues with someone seeking advice or opinions.

What actions or lack thereof the individual does with that information, he owns lock, stock and barrel.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
If this is just a couple of veteran Bruins players tipping their cap to an old guy in an effort to give him his due, then I'm fine with it. It's classy I guess. But I cringe at the idea that they "lean" on him even in the slightest, for anything. And obviously you can infer whatever you want from their language in this piece, and they certainly don't say they "lean on him", but I'll be wary of that guy until I can't be. IMO he built up and then sunk several excellent teams, so I question his true motives to this day. And I still haven't forgiven him for taking Bourque to arb. I respect he knows a ton, but I don't enjoy reading about his "wisdom" any longer.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

What actions or lack thereof the individual does with that information, he owns lock, stock and barrel.

It's stupid knee jerk responses to this stuff that make this place suck

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
The thing about the Harry Bruins people might not remember is they choked in over 50% of the series that they were favored it. Could have done more, absolutely, but lots of times the players didn't get it done.

Kaoz

Apr 8, 2015
Don't blame them at all. There's something to be said for utilizing the wisdom of others.

The person who I replaced (he retired, but still does some consulting with our company) comes in a few times a month, and I almost always have something to ask him for some input about. It's kind of reassuring to get a perspective on your ideas from someone who has done your job for 20+ years.

While it's hard not to agree with your post here sarge, I think the controversy in this conversation will come from the perception of Sinden's success (or lack there of depending on your criteria) as Bruins GM (not to mention many of the controversial decisions attributed to him). Would you still be taking that former employees advice if he were let go because his methods and ideals were shown to be incompatible within the field long ago by the company you work for I wonder?

This is a new NHL, and Sinden's methods were behind the times even back when he was GM. I'd be worried about any new GM giving him even a modicum of control regardless of his years of experience. The team went 39 years without a cup (a large portion of which Sinden was GM for), I personally am not in favor of anything that suggests they are trying to duplicate that "success".

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
It's stupid knee jerk responses to this stuff that make this place suck

Harry is a great hockey mind .. Both Neely and DS can learn a thing or two from him, Regardless of what a few posters think of him

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

I agree but what concerns me is the level of influence Sinden may have over Neely and in turn Neely over Charlie Jacobs. Young Jacobs has yet to impress me with his strength of character. He seems very unsure of himself and gives the impression he's under Neely's thumb.

I'm uneasy about this.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Harry Sinden was an amazing hockey coach and for many years a super hockey executive so he got old? You should all hope to be so lucky.

My mother passed away in October of 2013 at 87 and there was no one I'd rather sit around and listen to- and she to her dying days had great advice. I wish I took more of it.

Neely and Sweeney never said he was running the show but like a wise old owel he has something to offer just like Scotty Bowen,

I forgot when you get to 80 you need to be put in a nursing home and ignored

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
Harry Sinden was a good hockey mind, but his time is long since gone. I would love to have a beer and listen to Sinden's stories, but he should have no place in giving any input to a modern team. This is like asking the guy who knew everything about Windows 95 to help you fix a problem with Windows 8.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
Harry Sinden was an amazing hockey coach and for many years a hockey executive so he got old? You should all hope to be so lucky.

My mother passed away in October of 2013 at 87 and there was no one I'd rather sit around and listen to- and she to her dying days had great advice. I wish I took more of it.

Neely and Sweeney never said he was running the show but like a wise old owel he has something to offer just like Scotty Bowen,

I don't think anyone is saying that Sinden shouldn't be listened to, or has nothing to offer. I think what people are concerned about is the level of influence he may have. Is he Scotty Bowman or Al Davis?

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I agree but what concerns me is the level of influence Sinden may have over Neely and in turn Neely over Charlie Jacobs. Young Jacobs has yet to impress me with his strength of character. He seems very unsure of himself and gives the impression he's under Neely's thumb.

I'm uneasy about this.

Of course you are

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Harry Sinden was an amazing hockey coach and for many years a super hockey executive so he got old? You should all hope to be so lucky.

I think its more of the younger generation having no respect for the past, in MANY forms

finchster

Jul 12, 2006
Antalya
The thing about the Harry Bruins people might not remember is they choked in over 50% of the series that they were favored it. Could have done more, absolutely, but lots of times the players didn't get it done.

No, some of those Bruins teams were god awful. Neely, Bourque and a bunch of guys named who. Those teams got by with two stars two ok players at times and scrubs. Least amount of depth in the NHL.

Kaoz

Apr 8, 2015
How did this turn from discussing concern over, quite specifically, Harry Sinden's level of input and it's validity into the current organization to people defending whether or not old people suck. All on the first page.

Good lord.

bruinshoper

Sponsor
Jan 20, 2011
Oh my gawd....Harry made all these trades

I'm going to overreact and rant and scream and pick us for last place

I know more than Harry

Bring back geoff Gorman from da Rangers

Sweeney and Neely are bums they are going to lead us into Bolivia

That was great, you made me lol.

Beesfan

Apr 10, 2006
I'm not surprised, as a lot of the recent moves are pretty Sinden-esq. I just hope Donnie and Cam realize one thing, when it is time to pay for an elite player, you have to pay! The Chara signing was the first aggressive move to acquire an elite player by the Bruins in my entire lifetime. We paid top of the market salary to a top of the market player. That never happened under the Sinden regime, though I admit he did not have the benefit of the salary cap.

OLD51JOHN

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
players have

The option of staying for less or leaving for greener pastures..The team does not have any other options under the salary cap Why is that so hard to understand ??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad