NESN Bruins Pondering Joe Thornton’s Fit On Roster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
The deal was highway robbery.Sturm.Primeau and Stuart.The 3 of them together could not get in the hall.
That trade set us up to win the cup and also allowed a young man from Quebec to step in and lead the franchise.

The trade was literally do we build around Joe or do we build around that young man from Quebec.

I think they chose wisely.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
That trade set us up to win the cup and also allowed a young man from Quebec to step in and lead the franchise.

The trade was literally do we build around Joe or do we build around that young man from Quebec.

When they made that trade that was not near what the plan was.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Read the last two sentences of that article. Patrice is right.
There is another article from the Globe that goes more in depth.

That trade was done for many reasons, one being that they decided to build around Bergeron and not Thornton.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Yea that was the plan when they traded him waz it? Ali you know better then that .And it took years and alot more help.You think they win Cup without Chara or Thomas or Horton or even Ryder who had huge goal bs habs 1st rd. Etc ?
The point of the deal was to build around Bergeron and acquire enough assets to get there. They did, it just wasn't overnight.

There were other factors I'm sure but this was a huge part of it.

Reactions: sleepyh

Aussie Bruin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Center depth & defensive depth,, keys to deep playoff runs.

Bergeron
Krejci
Coyle
Kuraly
Who steps in if there’s an injury? Backes? Lindholm? Studnicka not really a 4th line checking type. I like Joe there. Sign me up

Lindholm is the team's reserve center and has proven he can fill that role adequately and more importantly he fits in well with Cassidy's system, and he's cheap. Studnicka can come up if things get really desperate. While yet another C would be great that sort of depth is not something any team can afford under the Cap without making serious, untenable concessions elsewhere.

There is not a single practical reason why Thornton should join the Bruins. The roster has 2 needs - secondary scoring and left-side defensive depth - and signing Joe wouldn't help with either of them, not does his style gel with the way this team plays. It's not happening.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
The point of the deal was to build around Bergeron and acquire enough assets to get there. They did, it just wasn't overnight.

There were other factors I'm sure but this was a huge part of it.

The Bruins traded Joe for 3 players.Sturm Stuart and Primeau.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

it was a false choice, though. Bergeron was 19 and there was no reason to rush him.

They could have kept Joe and still signed Chara and made him the C. They went out & signed Savard and that didn't hold Bergeron back. Hell, missing a whole season and then basically being the 3rd line C for a year didn't hold him back either. Bergeron was an instant legend who wouldn't be denied. There's no reason to believe having Joe in the lineup would have held back Bergeron. If anything, having such a steady 1st line center like Thornton would have made the Bergeron concussion years a lot less difficult. the idea that Bergeron needed the Thornton trade to happen so that he could become the player he became is just false IMO...no offense intended.

Joe vs Savard is the real choice here and I think in the long run you can make a case for Joe, but obviously with the benefit of hindsight and knowing the butterfly effect I wouldn't change anything and risk giving up that Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad