NESN Bruins Pondering Joe Thornton’s Fit On Roster

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Those of you thinking that Jumbo Joe is too old are missing the most obvious thing out there.

Joe has manufactured the nastiest, most disgusting futon of facial hair possible and rocked it for several seasons. It's part of his persona.

Now, I guarantee you..... he shaves that matted morass of grey dreadlocks off his face???? He looks twenty years younger in the time it takes to use a pair of scissors and burn through a few Schick Mack 18's (regular 5 bladers will be instantly overpowered.).

And I tell you..... someone make me instantly look 20 years younger???? The swagger "would you get a look at me" alone is worth 5 goals minimum for me alone.

Reactions: Ladyfan

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
Maybe we could get Jumbo Joe, Kovy and Andy Green (he hasn't won a Cup and he's real old too).

Wouldn't cost much.
Wouldn’t be just Jumbo. He’d be a thrown in. To get him a last shot at the cup. Must be thinking of quiting after this season. Meier would be the main part. As long as Joe is comfortable playing 3rd line, I’m a ok with it. Thornton & Coyle would create a ton of space for Bjork

Reactions: Ladyfan

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
He hasn't forgotten how to dish the puck he has 22 assists this year and he hasn't shrunk. He has 22 assists. How come a guy like Heinen who is 2 decades younger and put up 47 points 2 years ago only has 14?

The nonexistent expectations cancel out anything else as does how long its been since the trade was made.

Also do people have any clue how good the Seguin and Thornton contracts we shipped out were given their production on deals they signed as Bruins after leaving? Thornton could have even been had at a roll back if JJ didn't misplay the lockout. Both brutal blunders.

Well, Thornton is a center for starters. Do you replace Bergeron, Coyle, or Krejci with him? If not, you put him a 4C? And then watch him lumber up and down the ice like David Backes,unable to keep up with the Kuralys, Blidhs, Nordstroms etc.? He has a $2 million dollar cap hit. Worth it for a 4C? Because you can't put him at wing in Cassidy's system, been there done that with Backes and Ritchie.

The trade was a long time ago. Bruins got hosed on the return, as they did with Seguin as well. That's water under the bridge. I'd take Thornton back if we had a spot and a need for him. We don't.

Also, Heinen has 7 goals, Jumbo has 2. Bruins need a goal scorer.

Last edited:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Don't know about you but I was around when Joe cashed outta here. Happy to see him go. Bad trade, good guy, but when a player would rather be surfing than playing, I'd prefer someone else.

I believe Fenway had a good appraisal of Thornton's departure somewhere in these threads. It wasn't a media smear.

The way I saw it was he had everything except the intense drive to win. Like you said he'd rather surf than play. SJ's been a good fit for him- not a hockey hot bed like Boston so the fan & media attention has been easier for him to handle.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Wouldn’t be just Jumbo. He’d be a thrown in. To get him a last shot at the cup. Must be thinking of quiting after this season. Meier would be the main part. As long as Joe is comfortable playing 3rd line, I’m a ok with it. Thornton & Coyle would create a ton of space for Bjork

Yes, well based on what Dom reported, this would be fine. He'd be a depth/role player here nothing more. If that is what it takes to get Meier or Lebanc out of SJ, okay.

Reactions: Shoebottom88

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Those of you thinking that Jumbo Joe is too old are missing the most obvious thing out there.

Joe has manufactured the nastiest, most disgusting futon of facial hair possible and rocked it for several seasons. It's part of his persona.

Now, I guarantee you..... he shaves that matted morass of grey dreadlocks off his face???? He looks twenty years younger in the time it takes to use a pair of scissors and burn through a few Schick Mack 18's (regular 5 bladers will be instantly overpowered.).

And I tell you..... someone make me instantly look 20 years younger???? The swagger "would you get a look at me" alone is worth 5 goals minimum for me alone.
I don't know why but I love this post !

If Joe comes to Boston he must shave !

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Yes, well based on what Dom reported, this would be fine. He'd be a depth/role player here nothing more. If that is what it takes to get Meier or Lebanc out of SJ, okay.

Problem is the talk about Meier etc was created here.I have not saw one credible media person say a peep about them with Boston being a potential .

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Center depth & defensive depth,, keys to deep playoff runs.

Bergeron
Krejci
Coyle
Kuraly
Who steps in if there’s an injury? Backes? Lindholm? Studnicka not really a 4th line checking type. I like Joe there. Sign me up

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
Probably should’ve said favor instead of throwin. Sweeney would be doing Joe a favor and joe can still help.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Problem is the talk about Meier etc was created here.I have not saw one credible media person say a peep about them with Boston being a potential .

True no names have been mentioned, just the team, and the tidbit that we as fans would like who the talks are revolving around- and it was Dom who said it who is a credible source. If you look at the Bruins needs, a scoring wing being primary, then you can by process of elimination figure out the suspects. Meier, Lebanc would be about it as Kane would presumably be a non-starter because a) cap hit and term and b) because the Bruins don't sign players with a rep like his

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
Joe Thornton got a raw deal as a Bruin. f*** that hack KPD for helping run him out of town and f*** Sinden and MOC for not having the patience to let their star player grow into his role and to build the right team around him. We got our Cup in 2011 so I wouldn't change anything, but I'd love to know what happened in an alternate timeline where Sinden and MOC were shipped out instead of Joe. They could have still signed Chara, but Savvy would probably have not been an option. Kessel would have scored 50 with Joe as his center.

Anyway, Joe Thornton was nothing but class with the Bruins and is genuinely one of the most underrated players of all time. First ballot HOFer for sure. He turned 3rd liners into 40 goal scorers like it was a goddamn magic trick.

I know we don't "need" him, but there are worse depth options and I would absolutely love to see him raise the Cup in a Bruins jersey, especially on home ice. It would be unreal. Chara handing the Cup to Jumbo Joe would be the most surreal hockey moment of my life.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
But Thornton is?
Slam him all you want, fact is he is still a very useful player. San Jose is currently a wasteland. Thornton has developed a mean streak, he still has silky smooth hands. He’s a solid fit at 4C in my opinion. Heck I’d even like to see him given some 2nd unit PP time. A veteran 4th line center gives the team options. Maybe Kuraly stays on Coyle’s wing? Worth a shot

Krupp

Apr 6, 2012
I just don't see teh logic bringing Joe in. He's old and he's not the player he was four or five years ago. He's nowhere close.

This just seems like a really bad idea. But what do I know. .

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Jumbo can still dish!

HE PUNCHED A GOALIE IN THE FACE!

I mean cmon!

he’s obviously not what he once was but he still has use. Still need a winger tho!

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Joe Thornton got a raw deal as a Bruin. **** that hack KPD for helping run him out of town and **** Sinden and MOC for not having the patience to let their star player grow into his role and to build the right team around him. We got our Cup in 2011 so I wouldn't change anything, but I'd love to know what happened in an alternate timeline where Sinden and MOC were shipped out instead of Joe. They could have still signed Chara, but Savvy would probably have not been an option. Kessel would have scored 50 with Joe as his center.

Anyway, Joe Thornton was nothing but class with the Bruins and is genuinely one of the most underrated players of all time. First ballot HOFer for sure. He turned 3rd liners into 40 goal scorers like it was a goddamn magic trick......

Incredibly well said. Never should have been traded, and the smear campaign that ensued questioning his desire and his "disappearing" in the playoffs is joke.

That said, bringing him back for a cup run would be pretty pointless at this stage of his career. There are much better moves out there...

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
So Doug Wilson robs Boston for Jumbo Joe and gets hall of fame numbers out of him.Now he is at end of his career and Bruins are going to take him off Wilson's hands ?Sounds like a damn horror movie :laugh:
Yes robbed the Bruins, he lead them to the promise land while all the Bruins got was a cup after they got rid of that cancer.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Slam him all you want, fact is he is still a very useful player. San Jose is currently a wasteland. Thornton has developed a mean streak, he still has silky smooth hands. He’s a solid fit at 4C in my opinion. Heck I’d even like to see him given some 2nd unit PP time. A veteran 4th line center gives the team options. Maybe Kuraly stays on Coyle’s wing? Worth a shot

How is it slamming an all-finesse player by saying he isn't a 4th line checking type?

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Joe Thornton got a raw deal as a Bruin. **** that hack KPD for helping run him out of town and **** Sinden and MOC for not having the patience to let their star player grow into his role and to build the right team around him. We got our Cup in 2011 so I wouldn't change anything, but I'd love to know what happened in an alternate timeline where Sinden and MOC were shipped out instead of Joe. They could have still signed Chara, but Savvy would probably have not been an option. Kessel would have scored 50 with Joe as his center.

Anyway, Joe Thornton was nothing but class with the Bruins and is genuinely one of the most underrated players of all time. First ballot HOFer for sure. He turned 3rd liners into 40 goal scorers like it was a goddamn magic trick.

I know we don't "need" him, but there are worse depth options and I would absolutely love to see him raise the Cup in a Bruins jersey, especially on home ice. It would be unreal. Chara handing the Cup to Jumbo Joe would be the most surreal hockey moment of my life.

I disagree.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad