Post-Game Talk: Bruins lose to Ottawa 3-2 OT.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
I actually agree that this team is one or two pieces away from being back in the hunt. They are having a terrible stretch but people have short memories. This team is better than it has played so far.

The problem is that I have no faith in Chia to make the moves and less faith in Claude to make use of whatever pieces we get.

Just like that you worked yourself up to 4 pieces. :laugh:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I agree.

The thing that is most frustrating is that they have the talent to go on a big streak...to win something like 8 or 9 of 10 games, but they just don't care enough to do it.

Most teams don't have a center combination of Krejci, Bergeron, Soderberg. Most teams don't have 7 guys that can play in the Top 6 forwards. Other teams may have more elite scoring but the Bruins top 3 lines should generally compare favorably to the rest of the league except the top end teams.

The team should have a solid defense, maybe not as good as in the past but at least good enough to be in a playoff position. They have an, at worst, above average goalie.

This Bruins team is entirely healthy now. Other teams win games even with injuries. Winnipeg is missing 4 defensemen (Trouba, Bogosian, Enstrom, and Stuart) + Evander Kane and yet they compete harder than Boston. They don't just mail it in with injuries.

You'd almost rather have a team with less talent in Boston that has to compete hard just not to get blown out like the Bruins in 2007-2008 that grabbed the 8 seed instead of this group of overpaid and complacent players.

I`m willing to wager something is wrong with Bergy but I do agree with the rest of your post

There`s talent there, but there are still a few gaping holes which I`m not holding my breath will be filled for a while, I just don`t see other organizations wheeling and dealing yet

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
the fact that you agreed to take on the enormous responsibilities of a Mod on these boards is really the sign of mental illness smith:sarcasm::laugh:

kidding, you did see the sarcasm emotion no? I`ll suggest you aren`t alone in the DVR`ing of games we know the results for, have done it myself

Haha it's a lot more fun to go back and watch a win though.

SToMper!

Feb 27, 2002
Sand Bar
www.shorelinemediapro.com
Too many passengers; too many people too comfortable. Need to shake up the chemistry. Talk is cheap; "still evaluating " Chiarelli need to act.

The loss of Thornton was much more than just letting go of an aging pugilist. He had heart, called people out and tried to get the bus excited. We need that energy. Plus somebody to keep other teams looking over shoulders not he ice.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
As i said in another thread, we havent been blown out by thr top teams in the east even when undermanned, we only JUST lost to the Pens, we've beaten Detroit 2 out of 3 times, we've beaten the Leafs, we've lost to them in a shootout,Bs are a different animal now from when they played Habs at seasons start.

1 or 2 moves and I think Bs are in the playoffs and through round 1 and after that anything can happen. A few of those freakish unlucky bounces may go our way for a change and its a whole different ball game.

Heads up fellas, all isnt lost yet, we've seen LA drag its balls through last years playoffs and come out on top, we can still salvage this year and go deep. Draft well next year and set ourselves up for the next couple.

We dont want our players giving up, nor should we :) its still hockey season and it beats summer!

I love this post. :)

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy Quaider and Looch
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
The loss of Thornton was much more than just letting go of an aging pugilist. He had heart, called people out and tried to get the bus excited. We need that energy. Plus somebody to keep other teams looking over shoulders not he ice.

QFT.

Shawn had more value than some give him credit for.

I guess the thought was to have a more speedy 4th line...haven't seen that yet.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
QFT.

But thank goodness Chiarelli got rid of him to set this team in that different direction... oh wait, they kept Campbell so they clearly haven't figured out what they want.

I'd keep Thornton over Campbell anyday, even with the broken leg shift and all of his lost fights. Thornton was actually more skilled and a better playet than Campbell, although that might not say much. Campbell is just a much, much lesser Kelly.

If getting rid of Thornton weren't just a PR move over the Orpik incident and water bottle thing they would have a different type of 4th line that doesn't include Campbell. Paille has speed but not much else (PK yes).

Clueless hypocrites, management appears to be. Which stinks... because Julien would have this team at the top of the NHL with more assets. We'd be favorites for the Cup finals easily yet again. But... that one 2nd round pick this draft sure is helping!

Should have either kept our old 4th line, or replaced Thornton AND Campbell, or replaced all 3.

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
But thank goodness Chiarelli got rid of him to set this team in that different direction... oh wait, they kept Campbell so they clearly haven't figured out what they want.

I'd keep Thornton over Campbell anyday, even with the broken leg shift and all of his lost fights. Thornton was actually more skilled and a better playet than Campbell, although that might not say much. Campbell is just a much, much lesser Kelly.

If getting rid of Thornton weren't just a PR move over the Orpik incident and water bottle thing they would have a different type of 4th line that doesn't include Campbell. Paille has speed but not much else (PK yes).

Clueless hypocrites, management appears to be. Which stinks... because Julien would have this team at the top of the NHL with more assets. We'd be favorites for the Cup finals easily yet again. But... that one 2nd round pick this draft sure is helping!

Should have either kept our old 4th line, or replaced Thornton AND Campbell, or replaced all 3.

I don't know,Thornton was being scratched in Florida before the injury and had 4 fights-4 draws all of the hohum variety.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
QFT.

Those that think do give him credit. Shawn still has heart but the fight just isn't there.

Letting him go saved the Bruins as much embarrassment as it did Shawn. It would be tough for him to lead this team on the ice with their kick ass attitude. :(

BostonPC

Bleed Black & Gold
Dec 3, 2005
Woburn, MA
As i said in another thread, we havent been blown out by thr top teams in the east even when undermanned, we only JUST lost to the Pens, we've beaten Detroit 2 out of 3 times, we've beaten the Leafs, we've lost to them in a shootout,Bs are a different animal now from when they played Habs at seasons start.

1 or 2 moves and I think Bs are in the playoffs and through round 1 and after that anything can happen. A few of those freakish unlucky bounces may go our way for a change and its a whole different ball game.

Heads up fellas, all isnt lost yet, we've seen LA drag its balls through last years playoffs and come out on top, we can still salvage this year and go deep. Draft well next year and set ourselves up for the next couple.

We dont want our players giving up, nor should we :) its still hockey season and it beats summer!

Just watch the team... They turn the puck over way too much and can't score goals. I am as positive as the next guy but come on. They look like a mediocre team right now and I don't see reinforcements on the horizon. I was at the game yesterday. One bright spot is Chara is looking better. Its in Chiarelli's hands for the rest of this season... That is what scares me.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

This

BostonPC

Bleed Black & Gold
Dec 3, 2005
Woburn, MA
Looch may be in a slump, but there comes a point in time where someone has to put their foot down and say "enoughs enough" with him. We all know he has his times of decline, but it gets frustrating after a while, especially for what he's being paid, and considering that he is supposed to be one of the leaders in the locker room.
Only problem is, how long do you give him to break out of his funk?

I agree... it is painful to watch him lately.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012

Yeah, we totally did not lose 1-5 against the Habs and 1-6 against the Leafs.

And if you mention we lost to the Leafs in the shootout you might also want to mention that 1 out of those 2 wins against the Red Wings was a SO-win.

But this is a funny thing about this board. Everyone complains about the shootout, but when they need to make a point they do not care whether the win (or loss) came in the shootout.
Tied game after 65 min ... SO-win: We're so good! SO-loss: This team **** sucks!

I also do not get how it is some kind of a positive we got blown out by the Jackets instead of let's say Tampa (yeah, I know we have yet to play them). At least this is what you seem to be implying here.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
I don't know,Thornton was being scratched in Florida before the injury and had 4 fights-4 draws all of the hohum variety.

I was and am OK with moving on from him although I loved everything he gave us...but I think we found perhaps the only wrong scenario of replacing him/modifying the 4th line. Thornton --> Gagne? Please.

Luckily it's ended up being Cunningham, but replace Campbell too now with someone like Knight, Florek, or an enforcer who can mildly play also. Even replace Paille. We get nothing from that line and it's a guaranteed wasted, or damaging, 10-14 minutes per game.

At least Thornton made the correct play usually, and safely, while still making something happen.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
My brother told me the other day that the Bruins win when they get out hit. Maybe he wasn't including in OT. :(

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Silver lining (if there is one) is that they're keeping themselves in the hunt with these last two loser points against Toronto and Ottawa.

Means if they get the ship righted, they still have a chance for it to amount to something.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If Milan Lucic, Patrice Bergeron, David Krejci, Zdeno Chara, Brad Marchand and Tuukka Rask need an old, bad hockey player who should be a healthy scratch to give them pep talks in the locker room in order to play well.... then they are all overpaid and need to be dealt immediately.

Luckily, I don't think that is the case and have more faith in the abilities and professionalism. It's not a "will" problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad