Post-Game Talk: Bruins lose in a shoot out 3-2.

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
This place is funny.

Clooode loves his vets too much, play the kids / WHY THE F!#@ WOULD HE USE SPOONER IN THE SHOOTOUT?@!

Lose in a shootout to the reigning cup champs, while being 1st in the conference, 2nd in the division and coming off a tight series against said champs / THIS TEAM IS THE SUX WHY U NO SCORE GOALS?!#

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
I enjoyed watching the game. It was entertaining and fun to watch. When it all is stripped away, that's a big thing. Would have been great if the Bruins had won the shootout, but they played even with the Hawks, and I saw a lot more good than bad from the team. So as a fan, I'm happy.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
For the first time in years the Bruins had two successful PP units.... and then blew it up for no good reason. Chara is leading the team in PP goals as a net front guy and horse winning battles behind the net. Good time to move him back to the point where he hasn't had success in years. There's also the Spooner, Soderberg, Bergeron, Smith formation that got messed with by moving #51 to the top unit. These changes are still baffling me.

Agree with all of this. The only thing I can think of is they are nervous to give up a shorthanded goal with Chara up so high and do not think they have adequate coverage right now without him at the point.
I hate it. Having a dangerous powerplay again would help us out big time right now.
I don't understand why we changed something that was clearly working for the first time in years. It's a waste of his minutes having him on the powerplay if they aren't going to use him correctly.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Agree with all of this. The only thing I can think of is they are nervous to give up a shorthanded goal with Chara up so high and do not think they have adequate coverage right now without him at the point.
I hate it. Having a dangerous powerplay again would help us out big time right now.
I don't understand why we changed something that was clearly working for the first time in years. It's a waste of his minutes having him on the powerplay if they aren't going to use him correctly.

Hamilton is out, and he's one of the point guys on the PP. That's why. I have little doubt they'll change it back when he returns.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
I haven't been around these parts today but are people complaining about putting Spooner in the shootout? Why? It's not like he tripped over his feet and did a face plant. Actually, I like the move he did. Unfortunately, he hit the post.....just like Bergy. Julien has gone with "unconventional" choices in the past to get guys going. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

As for the game itself, it was very entertaining. The Bergy line is gaining momentum. The Krejci line got some chances but they need to start putting the puck in the net. Bummer about McQuaid. With him out the Bs only have Chara and Boychuck on the back end with a full 82-game season under their belt.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Hamilton is out, and he's one of the point guys on the PP. That's why. I have little doubt they'll change it back when he returns.

I'm sure they will, but you don't completely alter two successful PP units because of Dougie Hamilton IMO.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
This place is funny.

Clooode loves his vets too much, play the kids / WHY THE F!#@ WOULD HE USE SPOONER IN THE SHOOTOUT?@!

Lose in a shootout to the reigning cup champs, while being 1st in the conference, 2nd in the division and coming off a tight series against said champs / THIS TEAM IS THE SUX WHY U NO SCORE GOALS?!#

Ya you have to learn to ignore them. I do.

OutspokenMinority*

This place is funny.

what's funny is using various statements from multiple different posters and assuming it proves some sort of inconsistency. it's a very common mistake.

OutspokenMinority*

the team is missing Seidenberg big time both on and off the ice. they need a veteran defenseman who's tough and disciplined and has the right sort of personality. we all know how easy that combination is to find. seidenberg is like this team's talib. he was a glue piece, and now they are held together by bubble gum and tape. very troubling.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I haven't been around these parts today but are people complaining about putting Spooner in the shootout? Why? It's not like he tripped over his feet and did a face plant. Actually, I like the move he did. Unfortunately, he hit the post.....just like Bergy. Julien has gone with "unconventional" choices in the past to get guys going. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

As for the game itself, it was very entertaining. The Bergy line is gaining momentum. The Krejci line got some chances but they need to start putting the puck in the net. Bummer about McQuaid. With him out the Bs only have Chara and Boychuck on the back end with a full 82-game season under their belt.

Because as my mother was fond of saying, "Some people aren't happy unless they're miserable."

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003

I'm happy with Smith - Krug and then any combination of DK, Boychuk and Hamilton as the other point men.

Leaving Chara in front.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I meant to write that if Ericsson is not fully healthy, why is he going to Sochi ?

He is healthy. He's also recovering from a serious injury, and if you've ever been in a similar position (or if you've followed sports), you understand that recovery, even for those deemed medically able to perform, is not instantaneous. As the saying goes, an athlete needs reps. He needs to play in real games. Eriksson isn't going to go from zero to 60 overnight; nobody does that.

VanIsle

Jun 5, 2007
Comox Valley, B.C.
Great game could have gone either way, post here missed shot there but the Bruins can hang with the top of the West, one bad goal by Rask but otherwise spectacular game.

Bruins do miss a true #2 dman with Seids out, hopefully they can get one cheap in a little over a month or less.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
He is healthy. He's also recovering from a serious injury, and if you've ever been in a similar position (or if you've followed sports), you understand that recovery, even for those deemed medically able to perform, is not instantaneous. As the saying goes, an athlete needs reps. He needs to play in real games. Eriksson isn't going to go from zero to 60 overnight; nobody does that.

Ericsson this season:
28 5 10 15

Ericsson final 28 games last season:
28 6 10 16

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Hamilton has a concussion. He did not make the latest road trip.

McQuaid was hurt sometime in the second period against Chicago. No news on his injury.

Jeeeez, every time we turn around someone is getting hurt on this team.
Thanks Artemis.

Sea Bass Neely

Jun 6, 2013
Rhode Island
Looks like Julien was trying to get Spooner a goal to get him going.

The last few games, he is looking like he is in over his head.

Spooner had Crawford beat, but alas... the shot was wide. His effort was certainly better than Bergy's. It's like Crawford already knew what Bergy was going to do and in the middle of his move Bergy was like "****" and just fizzled out a terrible finish.

At least Spooner got a reasonably good shot off, wide side of the post tho but still. Marchand is getting his mojo back and it is wonderful to see.

Bart has been playing well being thrown into a larger role with big-boy minutes. He's not magnificent or lighting it up or anything... but he just doesn't seem in over his head too much for an inexperienced kid given tougher assignments than his contemporaries (the young ones + McQuaid).

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I'm guessing they're heading out to O'Hare, seeing as they'll be back in the ice in 24 hours.

But you might run into a beer-guzzling fan from Medford wearing an ST22 jersey if you're on Michigan Avenue. :laugh:

I stayed on Madison. And wore my Bereron jersey. :D

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
And the injuries pile on, just that kind of season for the Bruins (and pats eh?)

i was pretty pleased with this game though, could have definitely won it if it were 5-5 20 min OT instead of a shootout.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
And the injuries pile on, just that kind of season for the Bruins (and pats eh?)

i was pretty pleased with this game though, could have definitely won it if it were 5-5 20 min OT instead of a shootout.

Honestly if we weren't spending the first 2 minutes of OT killing off a stupid penalty, I like our chances of taking this game. It is what it is sometimes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad