News Article: Bruins' goal: Find Tuukka Rask's backup

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
WILMINGTON — Of all the questions facing the Bruins in a training camp that officially opens tomorrow with off-ice testing, the yet-to-be-named backup goaltender may not be at the top of the list.

But the open job is not an insignificant query, either.

One of the many problems that the B’s faced last year was that Tuukka Rask was forced to play too much after management lost confidence in Niklas Svedberg. Rask played in a career-high 70 games and, though the 2013-14 Vezina Trophy winner’s save percentage (.922) was just slightly off his career average (.926), there were times when he needed a mental break and didn’t get one. This was especially true during the team’s six-game losing streak in February when coach Claude Julien twice tried to give his No. 1 goalie the night off — once with Svedberg starting against the Dallas Stars and then with AHL call-up Malcolm Subban making his NHL debut against the St. Louis Blues — only to be forced to send Rask into the games after bad nights from the backups.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/.../2015/09/bruins_goal_find_tuukka_rasks_backup

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Was anyone else surprised the B's didn't address the #2G situation in offseason?

I honestly thought B's would have been good fit for Raanta who Hawks essentially gave away for free this summer

Shaun

Oct 12, 2010
someone head to the mountains of colorado and find tim thomas bunker

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Was anyone else surprised the B's didn't address the #2G situation in offseason?

I honestly thought B's would have been good fit for Raanta who Hawks essentially gave away for free this summer

Few of us were thinking Raanta would be an easy choice but did not happen, if we were going all in next year I'd be more worried about this but we are re-tooling.

Ben Grimm

I can't stand the rain ☔
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Was anyone else surprised the B's didn't address the #2G situation in offseason? I honestly thought B's would have been good fit for Raanta who Hawks essentially gave away for free this summer
Agreed. He may be better than Darling and they could have taken a mere half mil per year off Kane and Toews' contracts and kept Saad.

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB

They did with Martin Jones but then saw gold for him in Sharks 2016 1st round pick.The big Swede will take role watch.

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
at this point I'd say the top 3 candidates are:
1. Steve Shields
2. Jeff Hackett
3. John Grahame

Honorable mention:
Manny Fernandez
Felix Potvin

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
I was around 8-10 years old during the Moog/Lemelin era. That's when I really started watching hockey and immediately jumped on the Bruins bandwagon. I have a soft spot for those '88-'92 teams.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
bumping this, curious to hear who people think should be the backup.

gustavsson, subban, smith, mcintyre.

personally i'd like them to sign the monstah for 1 year.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
bumping this, curious to hear who people think should be the backup.

gustavsson, subban, smith, mcintyre.

personally i'd like them to sign the monstah for 1 year.

Same here. Proven back up and I feel far more confident with him in net than I do with Smith.

I'm hoping to see him play tomorrow night backed up by Tuukka.

Ice Nine

Dec 11, 2014
Parts Unknown
All joking aside. We really do need a very good backup to give Rask a break this year. He'll need it, as he may blow three or more gaskets playing behind this D group this year.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Would like to see a bit more of Gus but that's what would be ideal to me. I have more faith in Smith than Svedberg but I think we ultimately need to take a step towards avoiding what happened last year.

Subban and Zane's development is more important to me than having one as a backup so I'd like to see them both in Providence.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I still need to see the Monster for 60 minutes - and I think the B's brass believe that, too. Monday will be telling - there's only 3 more games, and Rask still needs some time on ice, so auditions have to stop pretty soon. If Gustavsson gets the full 60 and does as well as he did in Providence, he could easily snag it, and rightfully so. I was actually impressed with him in the 2014 playoffs against the Wings when he took over for Jimmy Howard the last two games; he didn't win either, but he gave the Wings a shot in both games - games where he wasn't supposed to play.

To me, Smith is the next best choice. He looked capable, and even last Thursday he was good against the Rangers - who were basically playing mostly their regular roster with maybe only 4-5 tryouts. (And, if he gets the job, he's never, ever, ever going to play the Rangers anyway, barring disaster.)

I feel a little better about the backups after seeing them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad